Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12312 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate LK 126. A Zulu Herring Drifter...

Default Re: Kate LK 126. A Zulu Herring Drifter...

Same process for the underside. I cut two steps either side to lock into the capping rail.

IMG_3832.jpg

IMG_3835.jpg

Filled the railway holes and painted them black.

IMG_3837.jpg

IMG_3839.jpg

IMG_3840.jpg
    Last edited by lupussonic; 01-10-2018 at 02:18 PM.

I took it into the shed to linseed it. Came up lovely.

IMG_3861.jpg

Also been mucking about with portholes recently.

IMG_4254.jpg

IMG_4345.jpg
    Last edited by lupussonic; 01-10-2018 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks Jim!

beautiful!

I started to lay out the sub-frame for the port water tank. There are two tanks, 200 litres each. That's a lot of weight to keep in one place...

03.JPG

04.JPG

tank straps.jpg

I then started to lay out a double berth over it.

IMG_5861.jpg

02.JPG

Last edited by lupussonic; 01-10-2018 at 02:30 PM.

Someone gave me an old wooden ladder which I cleaned up and used for the fore-hatch.

08.JPG

10.JPG

Last edited by lupussonic; 01-10-2018 at 02:34 PM.

Before the weather turned, I did some final painting outside, including her name.

IMG_0224.jpg

Picture of Dick Murphy (forw'd) and Graham (aft) perusing Dick's handywork. Dick is a carpenter and sawyer, and has a workshop with a whacking great band-saw in it.

IMG_3847.jpg

This is Dick's boat, nice eh? It's a motor launch, and has only taken him 30 years to get this far. There is one large laminated frame amidships, negating the need for any transverse beams.

IMG_3843.jpg

IMG_3845.jpg

30 years! No rush in Suffolk...

Picture of Dick planking some elm for my blocks (more on that later). You don't see many saws like that these days....

IMG_0307.jpg
    Last edited by lupussonic; 01-10-2018 at 02:45 PM.

With the onset of winter, I stocked up on firewood.....

IMG_6102.jpg

IMG_6092.jpg

.....and turned my attention to interior work, namely some lockers....

IMG_6100.jpg

Made them out of 1/2" larch. This was the first one I made. I had several planks that were 12" wide, and thought I was being clever with the uprights and shelves by cutting slots half way across each one, and letting each half cut make up the full width i.e. not sawing them down to 6" planks and thereby saving myself work. Although very seasoned they still held ambient winter season moisture...this one woke me up with a gunshot boom that reverberated around the whole boat at 4 in the morning, as it cracked the plank in the warm air inside. I sawed the rest down to 6" and avoided any further artillery...

IMG_6101.jpg

The diamond motif is for ventilation and for fingers to open the doors. A few rounded copper corners complete the edges.

IMG_0145.jpg

Last edited by lupussonic; 01-10-2018 at 02:55 PM.

This was the second one I made. There is just shy of 60' of 6" plank in it!

IMG_0144.jpg

Put in some small LED strip lights behind the beam...The snow kept falling but it was cosy inside, hot brews, larchy smells all winter!

07.JPG

Third one, also a shocking amount of wood. They all have oak quadrant at the crossing places, screwed and glued, and small oak tabs to keep the doors closed.

IMG_0143.jpg

Rot proofed, and once that was dry, two coats of varnish.

IMG_0147.jpg
    Last edited by lupussonic; 01-10-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Fourth and last one, the copper corners seemed an easy way to provide a rounded edge where there is a through-fare; I didn't want any sharp corners.

IMG_0146.jpg

Door fastening tabs...

21.JPG

My water barrels were solid ice.....snow stew anyone?

IMG_0045.jpg

Around Christmas...

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg
    Last edited by lupussonic; 01-10-2018 at 04:30 PM.

Dicks saw is a beast, I've watched in awe as Dick has put a 3 foot diameter cedar log through it without a grumble...it's run by a Perkins 6354 in a tractor with 30 feet of drive shaft going round 3 corners! The bands are 6 inches wide.

IMG_3858.jpg
    Last edited by lupussonic; 01-10-2018 at 04:44 PM.

Staggering.

Kudos to you, migod...
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Spring was a slow time for progress, I had a lot of work commitments and had to be away for several months, but got back on it after the thaw.

IMG_6091.jpg

Decided to tackle the for'mast hatch. I started by putting in a couple of transverse beams, made of holm oak.

IMG_0227.jpg

The hatch frame is iroko, reclaimed from an old chemistry bench. I made it in two parts, lower and upper, with an overlapping step.

IMG_0262.jpg

You know those wooden puzzles you get in Christmas crackers that take three days to put back together?

IMG_0261.jpg

I worked with an 80 year old carpenter long ago, who told me that the most important tool in the box was a tea-spoon! Not because of laziness, but if you're drinking tea, you're thinking and sizing up the job; more thinking saves time and mistakes. These took me about a day of thinking, and a couple hours to cut; never done a dovetail with a step beneath it.

I put the lower part of the hatch on to the partners and surrounded it with oak quadrant.

IMG_0264.jpg
    Last edited by lupussonic; 01-10-2018 at 05:04 PM.

The planks are 2" larch....

IMG_0268.jpg

I used 6mm screws with plenty of expanding glue in between the planks, then dowelled the screw holes.

IMG_0357.jpg

I gouged out the seam glue a little way, and filled them with black sh*t.

IMG_0360.jpg

Love the first coat of varnish! ....actually I hate varnish, but I varnished it anyway. I'll epoxy the top in due course.

IMG_0362.jpg

Did the same with the underside, and put a drip groove around it.

IMG_0358.jpg
    Last edited by lupussonic; 01-10-2018 at 05:13 PM.

Cleaned up and painted the partners, and found a bronze handle for the hatch, guaranteed to tangle halyards and sheets nicely...

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

Put a slice of 20mm lexan in front of it for some light, squidged in with some white sh*t.

IMG_0379.jpg

Tacked some hatch seal round it, and put a couple of latches at the aft end. I'll figure out some way to shut it securely from the outside, springy latch with a rope..? Any one know a way to do that?

IMG_0404.jpg

The hatch is heavy, and I want to put a damper/gas strut or two on it. One smashed hand can really ruin your day... Alrose Gas Struts (UK) may well get a phone call soon, they look good.

IMG_0406.jpg
    Last edited by lupussonic; 01-10-2018 at 05:23 PM.

Terrific! Stout and charming in one package.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Thanks!

This looks like a retrospective photo diary, all excellent work.
    Are you still able to follow Peter Radclyffe's advice and put doublers on those short scarfs in the top timbers? They really are a weakness as they are.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

The thread is almost up to date, just a couple more posts...

Yes I have been giving it quite a bit of thought. I'm going to get a survey done soon so I know where I am, and go from there. There are a number of entirely new frames, and a lot of new ones that go down to below the water line. The scarfs are not all as pictured previously in the bow high up.

What material would you use Nick? Standard oak? Ply? Steel? If there are two doublers per scarf, one either side of each frame, that's a shed load of shaping....maybe do areas under rigging points? Say from the masts back ten feet or so, and each end? Or the entire boat?

I'd appreciate your input....thanks.

Wow!

Fantastic work!!

Thanks, Svaap! That means a lot coming from the re-builder of Minde! I have really enjoyed reading about her. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    The thread is almost up to date, just a couple more posts...

Yes I have been giving it quite a bit of thought. I'm going to get a survey done soon so I know where I am, and go from there. There are a number of entirely new frames, and a lot of new ones that go down to below the water line. The scarfs are not all as pictured previously in the bow high up.

What material would you use Nick? Standard oak? Ply? Steel? If there are two doublers per scarf, one either side of each frame, that's a shed load of shaping....maybe do areas under rigging points? Say from the masts back ten feet or so, and each end? Or the entire boat?

I'd appreciate your input....thanks.
    You only need one per scarf. They should be oak, or the same wood as the frame futtock, and of the same scantling. They need to be long enough to take at least three bolts either side of the short scarf. If the scarf itself is long enough to take three bolts it should be OK, if too short, then fit a doubler. Use the same size of bolt that fastens her futtocks to the arms of the floors. The rule of thumb for bolting boat components together is always use at least three bolts through each piece of wood.
    You should make sure that at least three frames either side of vertical or wracking loads are strong, so that is mast beams, halyard and burton eye bolts, beaching legs etc., on the other hand you have done such good work so far, don't skimp by missing out any that are too short.

Thanks a lot for your advice, which I will follow Nick, I really appreciate it. I will set to work on that in due course...not sure when but I have already been pricing up the wood and thinking about the time involved to do it. It's an absolute necessity and will get done. Thanks again, and to you Peter!

I remember seeing this boat available a few years back. I was half tempted then, but looked at my bank and thought otherwise. I'm so glad to see her getting re-built so well. Keep it up!
    Ben Duffin
    Lead Boatbuilder
    www.anchorandsail.org

The mizzen mast-box made provision for a 7" stick, which I thought was a little on the small side. The mizzen sail is 3/4 of the size of the mainsail, and is the most vulnerable mast especially when running. The main mast is 12" thick at the base...3/4 of 12" is 9", so I decided to widen it to 9". I'm not entirely sure if this simple sum works out in reality, but 7" seemed a bit small, especially given that it's the mast most at risk of breaking... and the ratio of 12" to 7" is a little over half....

I removed the bulkhead, and unbolted the sides, then unbolted the back board from the beams.

IMG_0344.jpg

I let in a 2" strip into the centre of the backboard and put ten pieces of studding through it to hold it together.

IMG_0345.jpg

View of widened back board back in the boat. I had to re-jig the beams at the top and add a block at the foot. It's all bolted with 12mm stud, and glued.

IMG_0348.jpg

All back together again....I didn't make the side boards any bigger; I will make heavy steel brackets with corners in them to clamp around the mast that will accommodate the extra fore and aft thickness, thereby saving the side boards, and a lot more work.

IMG_0411.jpg

Of course, I had to re-jig the beams and supporting struts at the top as well, but in the name of stronger masts, I'm pleased with the way it came out.

IMG_0409.jpg

Last edited by lupussonic; 01-10-2018 at 05:40 PM.

Having done that, I could start to put down the ply top on the coach house.

IMG_0430.jpg

The top is 4 sheets of 12mm ply, with another smaller one beneath around the mizzen.

IMG_0432.jpg

All the ply was rot treated prior to being fitted. I'm thinking of taking shares out in the company that makes it....

Just the sliding hatch to go, and it'll be air tight for this coming winter.

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

Made a box for the mizzen mast boot to attach to...

IMG_0514.jpg
    Last edited by lupussonic; 01-10-2018 at 05:47 PM.

I found some lovely American white oak going for a song at a local timer yard for the trim. Not a single knot in it.

IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

So that went on..
    Last edited by lupussonic; 01-10-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Your mast box is exactly what i had in mind for Mariette. Im still considering it over a deck stepped tabernacle, but i need to build the mast first just to see if i can man handle it once its upright.....fortunately not as big a stick as yours!

Found this fine chap on the wood pile... a while later a female flew into the shed, impressive, I've never seen one on the wing before. Scared the pants off me.

IMG_0346.jpg

Also, what appears to be an albino lady bug.

IMG_0510.jpg

Last edited by lupussonic; 01-10-2018 at 05:55 PM.

Bit of nonsense really, but I was in between jobs and thinking about someone grabbing a hot stove flue whilst underway...thought I'd knock out a post for them to grab instead...

IMG_0418.jpg

I'm generally staying away from over decorative work, as it detracts from the natural curves etc of the boat, but this was a small indulgence...

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

Brancusi would be so proud...
    Last edited by lupussonic; 01-10-2018 at 06:08 PM.

Made the legs out of two pitch pine railway sleepers. Shaping anything to fit against a clinker hull is a massive ache in the plums. It took ages, and they're not exactly light.

IMG_0160.jpg

I decided to put a bolt through where the heels are for strength.

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

I'll try to get a sliver of carpet between the boat and leg in due course..

IMG_0163.jpg

Last edited by lupussonic; 01-10-2018 at 06:17 PM.

First attempt at one of the internal blocks for the legs , oak. It must have traveled 30 miles in and out of the boat, as I didn't want the dust where I sleep. Million fit ups.

IMG_0161.jpg

They will be bolted to the frame, and I might put a stringer or two across it and each adjacent frame too.

IMG_0162.jpg

When I came to scoop out the inside it showed a streak of rot, so will have to be discarded. That's the way it goes! At least I have a template...
    Last edited by lupussonic; 01-10-2018 at 06:20 PM.

Beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Are you still able to follow Peter Radclyffe's advice and put doublers on those short scarfs in the top timbers? They really are a weakness as they are.
    I wouldn't dream of contradicting either Nick or Peter on this point, but I have been studying Harold Underhill's very detailed plans for the Zulu "Muirneag" of Stornaway, and he states that the timberheads just have a simple scarfe joint to facilitate easy replacement in the event of damage. The scarfes would be staggered so adjacent joints fell on a different plank. But it certainly won't hurt to double them up. Looks like a great job you're doing there. Any chance you will bring her to the Portsoy festival when she's finished?
    It’s really hard to define ‘virtue signalling’, as I was saying the other day to some of my Muslim friends over a fair-trade coffee in our local feminist bookshop. (Lucy Porter 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    I wouldn't dream of contradicting either Nick or Peter on this point, but I have been studying Harold Underhill's very detailed plans for the Zulu "Muirneag" of Stornaway, and he states that the timberheads just have a simple scarfe joint to facilitate easy replacement in the event of damage. The scarfes would be staggered so adjacent joints fell on a different plank. But it certainly won't hurt to double them up. Looks like a great job you're doing there. Any chance you will bring her to the Portsoy festival when she's finished?
    Did Underhill draw the scarfes in any detail, enough to determine the ratio? Kate's problem is that some of them are as short as 1:1. Underhills logic is odd, there is nothing easier than unbolting a doubled joint, the butt ends do not even have to be well fitted when there is a doubler.