Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101920

Thread: Kate LK 126. A Zulu Herring Drifter...

Default Re: Kate LK 126. A Zulu Herring Drifter...

Hi Martin, wondering how you are getting along?

Cheers,
    John.

Sorry John, I completely missed this.

Thanks for asking.. Kate is waiting for my return. I am presently gainfully employed on mainland Europe, performing various feats of ultrasonic derring do, for a company that I really like and who had lots of work. While here, I also have access to such delights as excellent (understatement) beer and laundry services, so you will understand no doubt. Kate is looked in on by caring friends from time to time in my absence, while I aquire starter motors, cooling pumps and continue to scheme up my windlass configuration.

Very nice of you to remember me, and Kate none the less, my thanks.

missed you. glad you are doing well and enjoying life as one should! as you have probably figured out we are selfish, hungry followers that need feeding now and then.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    Sorry John, I completely missed this.

Thanks for asking.. Kate is waiting for my return. I am presently gainfully employed on mainland Europe, performing various feats of ultrasonic derring do, for a company that I really like and who had lots of work. While here, I also have access to such delights as excellent (understatement) beer and laundry services, so you will understand no doubt. Kate is looked in on by caring friends from time to time in my absence, while I aquire starter motors, cooling pumps and continue to scheme up my windlass configuration.

Good to hear all is well Martin, when I don't see people posting I wonder ......
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Thanks for asking.. Kate is waiting for my return. I am presently gainfully employed on mainland Europe, performing various feats of ultrasonic derring do, for a company that I really like and who had lots of work. While here, I also have access to such delights as excellent (understatement) beer and laundry services, so you will understand no doubt.
    I do indeed understand. Not earning much money, not having a good laundry service, and not having a warm and cosy place to sleep, all contribute to the sense of adventure, and I've experienced this many times myself, but adventure gets old...

Kate is looked in on by caring friends from time to time in my absence, while I aquire starter motors, cooling pumps and continue to scheme up my windlass configuration.

Glad to hear from you, and looking forward to your return, whenever that happens to be, to your adventure at home.

In the mean time, Leo is making your project seem like child's play. You do realise that?

Regards,
    John.

Hi Martin, one of my many daughters gave me a book for a recent birthday, and it reminded me of you, or more accurately, of Kate. Sailing with Mr. Belloc.

http://archive.spectator.co.uk/artic...ore-the-master
    This review focuses on Belloc, but the book is replete with fascinating detail about the mid-19th century pilot cutter they sailed.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-sear...mod-maccarthy/

Almost free. If I had your address, I would have sent you a copy.

Regards,
    John.

Thanks John, I'll look into it..

Martin, you really will enjoy it. There’s so much in it. One section is on the coastal barges, another on sailing through an island off Holland in a canal. Also, sketches of items of rigging. It’s a gem, mate.

I have been dipping into the Forum on and off for about 4 years (and am nearing completion of my own first boat build, a Tim Marchetti Freighter Canoe) but only stumbled upon Kate's renovation a couple of days ago. I seldom contribute to the forum, but have learned a lot from it, and want to thank you, and some of the other respondents, for such an interesting and informative tale. I hope that the problems you have experienced are now behind you and that you are able to finish your project. You have invested so much into Kate's rehabilitation it would be a great pity if you are unable to enjoy the fruits of your labours.

Best wishes, Steve

Hello Martin!

Nice job you did there, and nice perseverance also!

Just bought a dinghy 12, almost same, it as clinker planking

Nice job once again, read all your thread while loading some nasty petroleum products here in Rotterdam, inside an ugly piece of welded steel... Such adventure is refreshing!!

So I would just say :

Merci !

Bye

Stevegooda, L'Ankou,

Thanks for the kind words, I am actually going up to see Kate this weekend for a brief assessment after a long period working away, I'm very much looking forward to that. I will be getting back to work on her in January; hopefully getting the engines in, finishing the steering and mounting the windlass. I also hope to move her to a nearby boat yard, where she will be safer, and of course then, it will only be short step to the water.

Cheers,

Martin.