Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12312 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for a Dragon Thread

Default Re: Time for a Dragon Thread

Decided the Bilge was too mucky for such fine vessels... And me!

Any idea of the title of the recent publication Mickey? It was a bit of a coffee table volume IIRC.

It'd be nice to compile a list of different books about, or starring Dragons.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Dunc, I kind of wished you'd have left it down there. Maybe expose some newer people to the class? But it's your thread .

I have a copy of the coffee table book. The class sent it to me as a gift, for which I felt/feel tremendously honored. It's a photo essay of the 75th anniversary event that was so well attended, with some backround stuff on the class. Pretty impressive. It's in the loft here and I will climb up there later and see what it's called. Can't really remember right now.

I think that if I were to get back up on the soapbox with the Dragon class (which isn't going to happen), it would be as an advocate for older Dragons. We really need to talk up the 'classics' aspect of the class. At the Gold Cup last week there were 77 boats sailing, and pretty much all of them were $75-80K euro models with more-or-less wealthy people sailing them. There's nothing particularly wrong with being wealthy or sailing a new boat, but those folks don't seem to see the value in restoring and sailing a beautiful older boat, so a lot of those boats die ugly deaths when they don't have to. We need to emphasize to people that there are really cool older boats out there, not all made of wood, of course, that would be great as entry level boats, or as a classics division within the greater whole of the fleet.

I'd like to see some progress in that direction.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Nice thread! Good idea Duncan!

Now get down to that shed ......

Rick

I'm flying the protest flag.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Thou doth protest too much!

My own feeling is that the Bilge is now out of my own bounds and I'm over the idiocy, puerility and, quite often, the plain old outrageous offensiveness that passes for "discussion" in them there murky depths. I would be quite happy never to step my virtual foot in that board again and would not miss it one iota if it were to vanish completely overnight.

I've found the book with that lead you gave me Mickey: 75 years of Dragon by Heinrich Hecht and Jochen Halbe. $150 AUD means I'll have to save my dosh for a bit!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Agh!!

Now I have to see if there are any in the Puget Sound.

I

MUST

HAVE

ONE.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

holy crap.

not only are they in Puget Sound,

There's a lot of them!! CWB in Seattle knows them, and my local boatyard has rigged them!

There's a dragon in my future for sure.

Now... all I need is money.

Ben Sebens, RN

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Decided the Bilge was too mucky for such fine vessels... And me!

Any idea of the title of the recent publication Mickey? It was a bit of a coffee table volume IIRC.

It'd be nice to compile a list of different books about, or starring Dragons.
    Damn, we need all the class we can get down there.........
    We don't know how lucky we are....

Thou doth protest too much!

My own feeling is that the Bilge is now out of my own bounds and I'm over the idiocy, puerility and, quite often, the plain old outrageous offensiveness that passes for "discussion" in them there murky depths. I would be quite happy never to step my virtual foot in that board again and would not miss it one iota if it were to vanish completely overnight.

I've found the book with that lead you gave me Mickey: 75 years of Dragon by Heinrich Hecht and Jochen Halbe. $150 AUD means I'll have to save my dosh for a bit!
    Seconded ... I'm glad you moved it upstairs , it's smelly down there .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

BB, of course they are in Puget Sound, and I know of some for sale in that area. Let me (or someone) know when you are ready.

Dunc, you made your point about the Bilge most eloquently. Can't say that I disagree, though there are some good people who only seem to visit the Bilge when they do come here.

I have another old book in my collection, called 'Tuning a Racing Yacht', that has a section about Dragons. I am about 100% sure it was written by an Australian. I will see if I can find it.

Mickey Lake

Hehe! The move seemed to have hooked a new convert!

I'd love to see the look on Mr McMullen's face if someone turned up to one of his sail and oar shin digs with a Dragon.

From reading the story of Gerda a good sized sweep off the transom can propel a Dragon quite effectively. There are quite a few entries on the Dragon in the Argentinean writer Bader's book on yachting.

Here's an English resto I've already posted on my own resto thread...

From this:

To this:

Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Aboard my boat in an Auckland, NZ, Marina.

Noting several shots above of DK 192 "Bluebottle", including the well known one with Uffa Fox, "Phil the Greek", young Chuck Windsor and I think her sailing master Cmdr. Graham Mann at the helm.

(Oops! Won't be able to re-visit the UK now - I'll be banged up in The Tower for Lese Majeste!)
    "The truth shall make ye fret" - Terry Pratchett

And then some interior shots...

Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

On Plymouth Sound in the company of a 5M:

I really like this as a model for a properly measured Dragon which can also sail as a cruiser, but I think I'll be painting the hull interior white on Looe.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Those shots really bring home the fact that she was designed as a 20 square metre skerry cruiser. Beautiful boat. Mine doesn't look that good.

Mickey Lake

'Tuning a Racing Yacht', by Mike Fletcher and Bob Ross, both Australian sailors (with a forward by Sir James Hardy, no less!). First published in 1972, I have the second edition, published in 1978. There's a healthy section in there about tuning a Dragon, and very many photos.

I could not find a copy at any of the normal on-line outlets, but maybe they are available in Australia?

Mickey Lake

And then some interior shots...

So, Duncan, is Looe going to have a writing desk?

Rick

I like that trailer in the photo Duncan. It looks to be a cleverer design than the one borrowed to transport Looe. You'd have a better idea, but it looks lighter to me. The borrowed one was very heavy.

Rick

Hehe! The move seemed to have hooked a new convert!

I'd love to see the look on Mr McMullen's face if someone turned up to one of his sail and oar shin digs with a Dragon.

From reading the story of Gerda a good sized sweep off the transom can propel a Dragon quite effectively. There are quite a few entries on the Dragon in the Argentinean writer Bader's book on yachting.

I don't go into the Bilge. I have a low tolerance for pointless bickering.

I just die for those long slender overhangs. Gorgeous.

If I could rig a giant light air foresail, gennaker, Code 0 or some such thing, just for cruising, I think I could get away with a yuloh or skulling oar. The winds around here are fickle and the currents are strong.

I assume there are class rules against inboard propulsion, which makes a quiet, stealthy, electric drive a no-go.

Ben Sebens, RN

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    So, Duncan, is Looe going to have a writing desk?
    A bureau thank you! With a red leather writing inlay and gold leaf trim. What type of inkwell to choose? Now there's a conundrum. And spoilt for choice for quills too!

Now there's a thought: Pictures of a proper launching trailer for a Dragon! I've yet to see one, but I'm told they do actually exist.

BB, I was actually thinking a nice little Torquedo electric OB with a discreet folding bracket for auxiliary power. Having said that, it used to be the norm not to have anything other than a sweep in ye olde days: Now time is money. But having said that, if I did any extensive cruising in a Dragon the propellor driving beasty would be stowed below.

Mickey would know about the rules concerning inboard options.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

No through-hull fittings allowed, I don't believe. But there are a couple of options for outboard brackets for Dragons. I had the fittings for such a bracket on my boat until recently. It is very easy to paddle a Dragon with two people pulling six-foot paddles you can make up some ground.

Mickey Lake

Where do the pumps outlet to Mickey? I had a look at the rules and no self bailers can be fitted to the cockpit, but I would assume that there has to be at least one through-hull for the pumps, possibly under the counter? I was thinking my seats would be above the LWL and they could be scuppered. Patrick Gifford didn't say anything otherwise, but I'll join up the Oz DA and submit Looe for any scrutiny once I start doing stuff beyond fixing the structural integrity of the hull and deck.

From Classic Boat:

PhD student Leonardo Bortolami at the University of Ferrara is combining academic study with hands-on boat restoration for his thesis about best practice in the restoration of historic vessels. The boats in question are a pair of International Dragons: Aretusa, built in 1956, and Acanto, built in 1966. The restoration work, in partnership with staff at the Cantiere Alto Adriatico yard in Monfalcone, has started with the removal of decks and hardware on both yachts and the GRP deckhouse sheathing on Acanto.

Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

And just to prove one is never too old!

From St Petersburg, Russia.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Oops. Yeah, I forgot about the pump. Mine exits through a hole in the transom.

During the Olympic years hundreds of unmeasured Dragons were built and raced in East Germany, Poland, and the Soviet Union. I don't know if that has anything to do with the current Russian love for the Dragon class, but at most of the events in the Med the Russians will fill the fleet. At the recent Gold Cup there were 13 Russian boats! And they usually do very well.

Mickey Lake

I'm having fun! I found these photographs from the Eileen Ramsay Historic Collection on the CB website:

Circa 1963. International Dragon keelboats at Torbay Centenary International Regatta. Kari (DK378) and 384 Crackerjack (DK384) chasing French rival Annie V (DF163)

Circa 1963. International Dragon keelboats racing at the Royal Torbay Centenary International Regatta. Monatoo (K308), Eva (K326) and Ballerina (K309)

Circa 1962. Cowes Week. International Dragons keelboat class yacht. Pendragon (DK337) owned by LD.de Rothschild

Circa1966. Cowes Week. Dragon Keelboats, Sandoola (DK351) owned by RH.Stevenson, Leprechaun (DK412) owned by Col. TV Somers OBE, Bruce Banks and Cdr SA.Potter; Joanna (DK408) owned by Lord Worsley, racing under spinnaker during the 1966 Cowes Week regatta

Circa 1966. Cowes Week. Dragon Keelboat class fleet racing in line during the 1966 Cowes Week regatta

Circa 1966. Cowes Week. International Dragon class Keelboats; Vulcan (DK424), Leprechaun (DK412), Fidelity (DK373), Blue Skies (DK322) and Caurus (DK312) racing past the Royal Guardship HMS Jaguar during the 1966 Cowes Week regatta [Sloppy sheet work on the windward boat: Spoiled the boot stripe!]

I think the deal is CB (or it's partners) owns and holds the negatives and prints can be purchased for a pretty penny. When I have a few pretty pennies saved up...
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

It only gets better...

Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

From 1937:

Not sure of the date on this:

No prizes for when and where on this:

Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Looking good, Duncan. And it really does give one a sense of the history of this great class, and a feeling of belonging to something really cool.

Mickey Lake

Thanks Mickey! There is, however, one Dragon missing from this thread!

Here's a good deal for any of the gringos north of the NSW/Queensland Border:

http://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-...ie-anne/122408

The sail number and the build date suggests the Jarman father/son team would have built this.

Last edited by Duncan Gibbs; 08-27-2013 at 07:39 AM.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Here's another Doomernik:

What are the jammers on top of the cuddy for Mickey?

And one last shot for the evening close:

Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Duncan, if I had to guess I'd say those were controls for the jib cars and the barber haul. The forward crew shouldn't be adjusting much else. Lord but those Doomerniks are works of art!

I don't really like all that stuff being on the Barney Post. That's pretty impractical. Of course, no one wants to be sitting on it all, either. My boat does have a winch for the genoa. I'd like to go winchless at some point, but the way we sail it's not that big of a deal. When you look at these guys droop hiking in the photos from Europe you know why they had to get rid of the winches, but we don't do that (except for me, and I can hook my foot under the traveler bar).

Mickey Lake

Looking at it again I am not so sure. That cleat just aft of the cuddy on the inside of the coaming is usually where you will find your barber hauler adjustment.

Mickey Lake

I do love that first black and white shot in post #61 Duncan! Where did that one come from?

Rick

Hello fans!
    Dragons for sale, various prices via "Freundeskreis Klassischer Yachten", drool over these, or buy one! E.g.
    http://www.fky.org/marktplatz/bootsm...te/holusek.htm at € 21,900. (pictures at the URLs)
    http://www.fky.org/marktplatz/bootsm...bote/braun.htm at €36,700
    http://www.fky.org/marktplatz/bootsm...bote/bauhs.htm € 22,000
    http://www.fky.org/marktplatz/bootsm...grossmann2.htm at € 20,000
    http://www.fky.org/marktplatz/bootsm...ote/seidel.htm at € 24,500

None of these are restoration projects, but sailing beauties as the pictures indicate. The association does hav a lot of members who are embroiled in projects like Duncan's, though. An aging population and the preference for plastic (for ease of maintenance) has brought down prices of wooden classics. I saw a floating/sailing Dragon advertised for as little as € 6000 last year.

However my berth only has a depth of ~ 80 cm at the most and SWMBO says the plastic daysailer is enough for her and that I spend too much time on the wooden Mirror, so I shall not be beating any of you to the bargains.

Hey Duncan ... between building sheds and pulling bungs out of Looe, do you find time to sail the dink at all?

Cheers,
    Gernot H.

P.S. I just realized that the owner of the last boat on the list above has published a PDF documentary of his restoration of the 1952 Dragon. It has a good picture/text ratio so that if you don't understand German, it's still worth downloading to look at.
    See http://www.reskon.de/files/doku_knechtsand.pdf .

Cheers, Gernot H.

P.S.P.S. Just browsed through it and realized that it's 200 (=:-{O ) pages of pictures with handwritten notes. Lots of detail photos.
    Last edited by 62816inBerlin; 08-27-2013 at 09:56 AM. Reason: PSPS added