Thread: Chris Craft Restoration

Default Chris Craft Restoration

I have a 1954, 36' Commander 6 sleeper. There is some rot along the keel about half inch to an inch deep in various spots... how hard is this "fix"... Any and all advice is more than welcome!

Default Re: Chris Craft Restoration

Do you have some photos of the damaged area? The location of the issue has everything to do with the approach of the repair...

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Half an inch of rot in the keel of a 60 year old Chris Craft is easy to fix.
    but there is probably much , much more .
    Have you owned the boat long ?
    Has she been surveyed?
    Has she been hauled and kept painted?
    Salt water or sweet?
    "keel" , or skeg?
    pics !!!
    bruce

Hey Bruce... she is in salt water... has not been hauled in a long time so hull needs bottom paint badly...She has been kept clean however from monthly hull cleanings by scuba-duba guy. Hull seems solid! my profile photo is the boat. she is still in the water, having trouble posting pics (too large of files maybe) email?

monthly hull cleaning will keep off barnykills and weed, but they may leave the boat more exposed to marine borers. gribbles and toredos.
    pics need to be put on a photo hosting site first, I use flickr, others use others . Facebook even works. try to get pics here , many are more up to speed on this type of boat here than I am.

Here is a photo of the boat... I dove her two days ago. Initially there was only a small bit of water in the hull forward portion of the engine compartment...(there is indeed a bilge pump hooked up and working) I dove the hull and poked my fingers into the soft spots on the keel and felt several...(ranging from half inch to an inch)

When I did a visual inspection yesterday there were NEW water pockets in the hull... a larger puddle in forward engine compartment (where the initial water was, then a fairly good size puddle in the forward hatch of V berth and middle of cabin where bilge pump is)

Is this a Red Flag? Or did the fact that I poked "fresh holes with my fingers" into the keel make it absorb sea water that had previously been "sealed"... PLEASE ADVISE~!
    http://ldgraphicdesign.com/1954ChrisCraftCommander.jpg

Well , You do not want the boat leaking because you poked your finger around underwater, that's fer sher.
    Where are you? If you are diving on the boat , is it warm?
    I think you need to turn the bilge pump off and find out how much she is leaking. But, maybe you cannot spend that much time to do that.
    It looks like she needs to come out for a proper poke around. Ice pick , small hammer, fifth of Jack , the usual.

She is in the water... I was thinking wood could be pegged into the keel where the damaged areas are...or fiberglass over it?

I am in Sunset Beach/Huntington Harbor... she for sure needs to be hauled, but she has also been sitting in said condition for a long time, so cannot imagine that my finger and wood screw poking into the keel/skeg area could bring her down... the bilge is not working on overtime or pumping water for that matter... it only goes on when weight is shifted in cabin. Just was a bit alarming as the spots that are now puddled were DRY... so...did she soak up some water from the finger poking? IS that a plausible concept or am I in heavy denial?

na ah , i don't think knocking in a peg is a good idea. fiberglass in the water? negatory.
    If she needs a patch, consider a piece of ply , 3/8th, pre nailed with roofing nails , and slathered with toilet bowl ring wax.
    But the weird thing here is , a bit of rot in the KEEL should not be making her leak.
    she has to come out mate

I didn't mean put the glass on her while in the water! LOL... I know she has to come out.... the question is WHEN?
    You answered my question about the keel rot not causing the leak...that is huge...now figure out WHY she is taking on water.

I was told it was normal to have some water in the hull of a 60 year old wooden hull boat...is this not so???

The boat needs to be hauled and surveyed. You are kidding yourself to proceed otherwise. And, opening yourself up to a major fine if she sinks...it's a ticking time bomb. There, did that get your attention?

Pictures (so-called "pics" as they are called here and nowhere else in the known galaxy) are of limited value.
    Last edited by pcford; 08-07-2013 at 04:18 PM.

I am aware of the issues with her... she has sat in the same berth for 5 years as I have admired her when Stand Up Paddling past her each day... the boat can still sit in the berth she is in and I am simply weighing out my option$...

Trying to fix the boat in the water by getting advice on the internet is like trying to fix your car over the phone. Bite the bullet and haul her out, you'll be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '54 View Post
    I am aware of the issues with her... she has sat in the same berth for 5 years as I have admired her when Stand Up Paddling past her each day... the boat can still sit in the berth she is in and I am simply weighing out my option$...
    Oh, well, if the boat has been where it has been for five years, there is absolutely no reason to assume that anything could happen. (or is there?)

She's a pretty boat. There are several threads on this site about very similar boats. Should be several good sources of information if you contact the owners of those strings. They may be able to provide some guidance as to trouble areas to look for, etc.

Well, you said she's in need of bottom paint. So, haul her out for that and a survey. Older boats will leak a bit, I suppose, but when you can start pulling wood out of the keel with your fingers, it's time to haul!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Leave her in the water(Not for years), until your bank account and credit card are ready without moving her too much around.

Haul out as soon you are ready to invest, as while Hauling out, I am pretty sure surprise will be found...
    http://www.peacefuljourney.ca/
    BEWARE: I am a native french speaker

Joshua... EXACTLY! I am putting new zincs on her immediately! then will haul her hopefully in the spring...problem is NO ONE wants to take on the liability to haul the old girl out! I will have to visit another marina!!! am researching having a crane service come

Is your experience with poking holes in the hull where the term "poked" comes from?
    Hopefully she isn't completely poked!

In NZ anyway, "poked" is one of the many terms to describe something that is worn out or knackered.

Uhm, ...... warm salt water + 5yrs without bottom paint or hauling, ....... I'll say it. .......I'd be pretty concerned about major worm damage. A C.C. keel in salt water shouldn't have 'rot' issues, but certainly could have major worm damage. (On that C.C. the keel really has nothing to do with the boat being water tight or not - other than leaking keel bolts). If she truly is showing more leaking just from poking around in the keel I might be concerned about her making it till spring.

UPDATE... she was reportedly hauled out and bottom replanked and 6,000 new screws put in 6.5 years ago...
    the zincs supposedly have only been dormant for the past 8 months... (waiting on paperwork to that affect)
    I keep the boat at the guys dock I bought it from and got her for a song, as he wants to see her restored to her original glory.
    He owned the boat since '83 and has told me some funny stories of him cutting his nautical teeth.

Question... how long without zinc does it take for the electrolysis to eat those hull screws?
    Does anyone have info on the CC registry in VA?

Does anyone have the info for the gentleman that runs the Chris-Craft history registry in VA?

Hmm, .... I don't know of a "gentleman", however the Mariners Museum in Newport News has ALL of the Cris Craft historical information and build cards. I believe if you go to their website you can find information on how to request the original build information for your boat.

Only 8 months since the zincs 'disappeared' from corrosion? You are probably ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '54 View Post
    UPDATE... she was reportedly hauled out and bottom replanked and 6,000 new screws put in 6.5 years ago...
    the zincs supposedly have only been dormant for the past 8 months... (waiting on paperwork to that affect)
    I keep the boat at the guys dock I bought it from and got her for a song, as he wants to see her restored to her original glory.
    He owned the boat since '83 and has told me some funny stories of him cutting his nautical teeth.

Question... how long without zinc does it take for the electrolysis to eat those hull screws?
    Does anyone have info on the CC registry in VA?
    Sorry, all of these questions would have been answered if the boat had been hauled and surveyed before you bought it. Even if your plans for it only extend, as you put it, to being a "party barge." Even a free boat can be very expensive.

Francois... I can dig it. Alas, it is what it is... the owner has all the paperwork and has owned it since '83 and I am restoring her at his dock. So... I cannot afford a $5,000 cash deposit to have her hauled out (in the next marina over, several nautical miles away, towed by vessel assist) and the $190 per lay day fees. I'm going to get a hydraulic lift and get her out of the water where she sits for repairs and fresh bottom paint. Evidently the guy had been putting a West System on the bottom. Thoughts???

Thanks Ned.. .I was given a name of the person (and misplaced it) who I think is the head of the Museum, or curator...that is the contact info I was seeking

Only Pat and Ned, I think, have spoken up in quite the way I intend to, though plenty are hinting to you, but I have some comments and you may not like them. You might want to consider them anyway. i've spent enough years on this forum being polite, and I try to be, but sometimes it is best, or at least easiest, to be direct. I thnk you are getting the picture anyway, so if this feels like I am whipping you and saying the obvious, I apologize in advance, but I am going to be blunt.

Were I in your position I would be very concerned that I was asked to post a $5000 bond to haul my boat. I would be just as worried, owning a boat like this with some of the information coming in, not to have the ability or willingness to post that bond. Here in the Northwest there is a lot of skill and sympathy for old wooden boats, so it makes it easier, but where you are those qualities may not be in abundance.

Still, yards make money by hauling vessels. Throwing roadblocks up to a haul out suggests the yard you are working with has reservations about putting you on the hard and as we are here and can't see the boat, and they are with you and can, you might take a cue from that. Some yards just don't like to chance it with wood, but almost every yard I have ever known makes an assessment based on condition and decides if they will work with you or not.

It's a birdie whispering in your ear. I'd have little concern about the history of the boat insofar as ownership, build dates and the like, and far more in her current state than to be spending time with the Mariner's Museum, though it's always fun to know the history. But a boat that hasn't been out of the water in six and a half years or inspected in that time is neither insurable nor necessarily sound. And I would not take the advice that "she was fastened six years ago so she's OK" without a grain of salt. Fastened with what? CCs were built with exceptionally good (and now very expensive) materials. Did the people who re-fastened her use the traditional Chris products: bronze and copper, or did they get their screws from a less reputable source?

These are all questions that a trained observer can answer. And you should be asking them. Without much delay, and to somebody local to you who knows and can honestly assess wooden boats. You will be shocked how much a boat that fails can cost you. And of course, she's useless and unreliable as is. Anybody who argues otherwise based on your input so far is just guessing or doesn't have much experience. Or being polite, which as I said I usually try to be. But truly, you would be very well served to get a local, knowing hand on this without delay because your story is one that is frequently heard and rarely ends well.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 08-14-2013 at 07:48 PM.
    Among the most enduring things about an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Lew... points all well taken... I am going to save her...plain and simple... The guy I purchased the boat from is letting me keep it at his dock and has owned her since '83.
    I'm rolling the dice and will keep you posted. She has taken on 3.5 gallons of water in two weeks from a slow leak that was previously filled with wax last year.
    I feel good about this boat, then again ignorance is bliss. She will be hauled and surveyed... will also be posting a ton of photos on a FB page I am making.
    Thanks everyone for the input.

That's no big deal, a pint or two a day, but it also is not a measure of the potential issues. Looking forward to hearing of your journey! I overlooked that the prior owner is providing moorage, a plus.
    Among the most enduring things about an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Here are some pics...more to come.
    https://www.facebook.com/Classof54

"technical" pics , of the floors , frames, bilges, planking , a few pulled fastenings, close up of questionable spots on hull.
    these are what we need. Then ,when she gets out , the hunt for toredo .
    bruce

all those pics coming~!

Good luck on the project! Plan on having her on the hard for a while, it will need more work than you think. The picture of the bilge is telling of a long history of very minimal care and maintenance. I do hope that you see it through, these old cruisers are getting cut up every day, It would be nice to see one brought back.

Quote Originally Posted by mucrewbtp View Post
    It would be nice to see one brought back.
    But only if it makes sense for you. I think Bruce mentioned in another thread that the story of these boats is more importantly the story of the people involved with them. The boat has no feelings, no needs, no sense of itself. It's about the people, so make sure you keep yourself whole through the process.
    This one is going to take more time, skill and money than it will pay back when you are done. Make sure it's the path you want to follow.

I'll echo what Lew said.

I briefly considered adopting such a boat - back when I had money and a good income. As I looked into it, I realized it didn't make sense for me. Even though I had the skills to do most of the work myself... I realized that I didn't LOVE this type of boat enough to put that sort of effort into it. Mine was sunk at the dock... and free, including the raising of the boat and 6 months slip fees. When I say sunk at the dock... don't think that it was in worse condition than yours. It wasn't. It was, as far as I can tell from the fotos, about the same condition.. or maybe even slightly better. Taking on a bit of water... but not much.

But a sinking can happen quickly with a minimally maintained boat. A plank lets loose, or a thru-hull comes adrift. A bilge pump fails during a big rainfall. Morning comes and the boat's on the bottom. In fact, I'd strongly recommend you have a plan formulated for just such an occurrence. Hopefully, you'll never need it, but it beats starting from a panicked zero if it happens. And - with the boat I see in those fotos - it wouldn't shock me.

I'll also stress again the need to have someone look at the boat for you. Either a surveyor who knows that type of boat construction, or a knowledgeable boatwright. Either can help you formulate a phased game plan and budget. That's the starting place. Anything else... and you're just flying blind. And - from what I can see in those fotos - likely either throwing a lot of money into the boat inefficiently (based on the current crisis), or nibbling away with insufficient resources to - in the end - save the beast.

And I'll also throw out a bit of nomenclature for your future use - if you're so inclined. Regarding this type of boat there are three basic levels of attack.

First - Full restoration. This is where the new owner decided to take the boat back to factory condition - with authentic materials, hardware, etc. There are levels and levels... but basically - this is the big-bucks FullMealDeal approach. Doesn't sound like you have the resources to take this approach - even if that is the type of boat you'd want in the end (I wouldn't... as I like to USE my boats more than fuss over them - though I do like fussing with them some).

Second - Reconditioning, aka Refurbishing. This is where you take care of any functional issues - making the boat sound and safe to use... but without being too worried about authenticity... or if your varnish will be winning "Best In Show". This is the route most folks aim for... but not all.

Third - Slapdash/Cosmetic. This is where you do the absolute minimum necessary to get her looking decent so you can sell her to some ignorant, unsuspecting fellow. I'm not recommending or condoning this course, mind you, but it is a tack that some folks take. This is also the approach some use to get just a bit more use out of the boat before she sinks with all your loved ones aboard, and you get to meet a bunch of very nice Coast Guard or Sea Tow folks... and arrange for salvage and environmental cleanup/abatement (break out your checkbook!)

Whatever you decide to do... Good Luck. And keep us posted!
    Last edited by David G; 08-15-2013 at 11:02 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Thanks guys...you both make great points... bottom line is I will enjoy doing the work and will be sure to keep myself whole.
    Hauling & Survey my biggest issues and once past that hurdle will be "down hill" as far as I am concerned. She doesn't even have running engines aboard (starboard engine not even on boat, thus the port side list) I am very content with making her a beautiful barge and then making her seaworthy after the fact...I realize this is all based on hull screw integrity. She did get new zincs last week, on the previous owners' dime. QUESTION... does anyone know the deterioration rate of those hull screws in salt water....Southern Californian Pacific waters? That could help answer a lot of my questions for my short term goals.

there is no formula for "deterioration rate".
    There are factors that effect electrolysis and corrosion.
    factors like the marina or dock or anchorage where the boat stays. The way the boat is wired and run. The way the batteries are charged. The way your neighbor charges HIS batteries.
    Some boats may be better off with no zinc, some boats can be harmed by having too much.