Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: My Åfjordbåt Project

Default My Åfjordbåt Project

This project has been going on for some time and is soon finished. I intend to upload some pictures from the project later.

Default Re: My Åfjordbåt Project

Nice looking faering.
    Will you be rigging her for sail?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Looking very nice. I hope we get to see some pictures during the process of building her. What are the overall dimensions and what wood did you use?

No, it will not be rigged for sail. It's to small, only 5.1m end to end. Traditionally sail was not used on these smallest boats, only from about 5,5m and up.

The wood is Norwegian pine all over, except "kjeipene" which is elm.

Nice to see this. Have just finished oiling and tarring mine which is the larger sailing faering. It is great to see what it looked like when built many coats of oil and tar ago. Mine shares the hollow in the garboard and the deep keel. I don't think I have ever rowed a non sliding seat boat with a larger turning circle.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

In2006 I bought these four volumes of Åfjordsbåten og Nordlandsbåten. Reading them with extreme interest over and over again, trying to learn all the difficult words and expressions. Slowly I realized that I had to try to build a boat like that.

During fall 2008 I came across a pine with a root that seemed to be suitable for “lott”, the piece between the keel and the stem/stern. I cut it down and managed to get two “lott” which consists of part of the trunk and a bit of the root. The trunk above I cut to a keel stock.

I let the three pieces air-dry for two years to see if they cracked, and they did. The keel stock was full of diagonal cracks and was degraded to firewood. The two “lott” cracked only a bit on the surface. After processing there were no sign of the cracks.

With the important stock in place, I decided to build the boat I found a quite detailed drawing of, in volume 3.
    First I made a full scale drawing of the keel, lott and stem/stern. From the drawing I made templates of the two lott and stem/stern. Then I started to process the wood. I bought a new stock for the keel from a sawmill. Also this stock had some cracks, but most of them disappeared during processing.

The new keel stock.
    Last edited by Faering; 09-10-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Færing,

Nydelige båt!... Are you norwegian? If so, then you can read it, but if you`re not, maybe I can help if you don`t already have someone who can translate some terms if need be. I`m an American who has lived in Norway for the past 17 years and after raking what little brains I have for those years to learn the language, maybe I could help with some translating for you.

I take it that since you look just about finished, you`ve already muddled through what translating it took to get the job done and for that alone, you deserve a big pat on the back. Norwegian is not easy.

Andrew
    Last edited by AMac; 08-05-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Hei Faering,

flott baat. Any chance to post the ISBN numbers of the faering books, I am mightily interested since I live some 50 km west of Aafjord. I can of course help with translations as well although lagspiller might be more qualified.

Uwe

You can find the books on internet (several places) (http://www.hovedsmann.no/products/no...g-afjordsbaten, http://www.nautiskfritid.no/Nettbuti...-Bind-4-X11284, ). Yes, I am Norwegian.

Nice project! I´m looking forward to the rest.

There seems to be a surprising amount of Norwegians in here.

Well, you being Norwegian kinda puts an end to any translating I could help you with. I should of guessed it by the style of roof tiles and the japanese maple in your picture that you were local.

Have you thought about taking your Åfjordbåt to the Risør Trebåtfestivalen? About 14 years ago, I took my Wharram outrigger canoe to the festival and it was a load of fun. Your boat would fit in very well.

The photos and drawings in Åfjordsbåten og Nordlandsbåten are so good that even someone confined to English can make sense of books. Taught me much of what I know about rigging and sailing my Åfjordsfaering. The rest was taught by the faering which has just been prepped for the Small Reach Regatta.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

....trying to learn all the difficult words and expressions.

This line prompted me to write what I wrote because I`ve been there, and done that and know the struggles of it. Just trying to help.

Looking forward to more photos. Interesting that the lot (and I expect the keel and stem) is pine.

Yes, it is pine in my boat, but the traditional wood is spruce all over, grown in the northern part of Norway. Spruce grown in the southern part is consider to be more or less useless for boatbuilding as far as I know.

The garage is prepared for boatbuilding Shape ofthe two lott is checked against the full scale drawing
    Keel is lined up
    Checking scarf and other details The shape of the two lott and the keel is special for this type of boat. It is difficult to see on the picture, but basically the top edge forms a wave starting from the scarf stem/lott, going down to the end of the lott, rise to a top level at the middle of the keel, going down about the scarf to the next lott and rises to the stern. The wave height is about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch. Traditionally the wave height was decided by the builder based on the property requested by the user/buyer.
    As far as I know, the Åfjord boat is the only boat that has this shape as the basic shape. Other boat is flat or has a keel that is banding downwards as the basic design. However, most of the boat types did have deviations based on the property required and the shape could “overlap” other boats basic design. I am talking about færing build along the west coast of Norway up to the far north.
    Question: when I am writing a post, I cannot move the text and pictures using the enter button. Anyone who can tell me how to do it? The enter button does not work at all.
    Last edited by Faering; 09-10-2013 at 10:20 AM.

Thanks for posting those links. The books seem to be quite expensive -about $65 each. Have I got that right 400 NK each? Could you post bigger pictures? - it's difficult to see the details. I'm not sure how you move the pictures within the text.

Quote Originally Posted by Faering View Post
    Question: when I am writing a post, I cannot move the text and pictures using the enter button. Anyone who can tell me how to do it? The enter button does not work at all.
    It can be stubborn.
    Sometimes I have to cut the picture and repaste it where I want it.

Yes, that’s the price and it is normal in Norway for books like these. Unfortunately I don’thave good pictures of the keel shape, however, the pictures uploaded became smaller than expected because of the way I did it. I think I by now have found out why, so for next post it will be better, hopefully. Biggest size allowed is 500x500 pixels on this forum. For the wave shaped keel and lott I have tried to enlarge part of a picture I have. My be you can imagine how it is like
    Last edited by Faering; 09-10-2013 at 10:21 AM.

My be you can imagine how it is like
    Is that the finished section? No rebate or "wings" to fasten the garboard to?
    Or is the garboard skew nailed to the sides of the keel?

Yes, it is finished. Traditionally there have been two types of keels used, this one which is used today and a Y shaped keel. With this one, the garboard is nailed to the keel, rivets and roves are used for the Y one.
    Last edited by Faering; 09-10-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Yes, it is finished.Traditionally there have been two types of keels used, this one which is usedtoday and a Y shaped keel. With this one, the garboard is nailed to the keel, rivetsand roves are used for the Y one.
    Is the garboard made thicker at the keel and tapered out to the lap? This technique without rebates is used on the Irish Drontheims and Ness Sgoths, so I wonder if the Nordland Boats also use the thicker garboard.

How deep is that keel? It looks like it could be around 6" and I'm still not clear as to what the cross-section looks like. Is it a simple wedge shape? Could you perhaps do a drawing of what it looks like?

Quote Originally Posted by tapsnap View Post
    How deep is that keel? It looks like it could be around 6" and I'm still not clear as to what the cross-section looks like. Is it a simple wedge shape? Could you perhaps do a drawing of what it looks like?
    Tap,
    If you look at the uprights that the keel stands in, it appears to be parallel sided without taper in section, although I think that the sideing reduces to the ends.

This is the cross-section of the keel. The picture is from the book.

OK. that's clear. Thanks

"Halsene"

The name of the boards is slightly different for Åfjordsbåten and Nordlansbåten. I will use the Norwegian names. The names are from the books.

Halsene are made from stock 5/4" x 6 1/2". This picture shows two halser clamped together after the profile has been shaped.

Lines are drawn according to how it will be shaped. Top view:

Bottom view:

Profile at the wide end:

One hals partly shaped using an axe. Removing wood from the top to the middle of the plank, than it is turned over and the same is processed again. There after a planer is used and finally sanded.

Halsene are tested on the boat. The slightly twisted shape is visible on the one closest to the camera.

Profile before the scarf is made:

The scarf:

Two halser are soon ready for attaching to keel and lott. The two three-fold cotton threads are "glued" to the boards using lacquer. The nails only keep the threads in the right place during the gluing process, and is removed prior to attaching. This is the way I did it on this boat. I am not sure it is a good idea, and will probably not use it on my next project.

All four halsene are completed. The top edge is shaped after all are fixed.

Looking from the front, it looks like it from the stem turns down a bit and then rises at the middle an then going down again and up at the stern (the latter one you can't see). This is what you see from this angle, but the real thing is that the middle part is the lowest part.

Another picture. The middle part is wider and looks as it is rised. The upper edge of halsene is more or less parallel to the floor. I checked by measuring the height above floor at several points. Look at the upper edge close to the camera. It looks like a straight line, and that is how it should be to make the shape of the next board right. I will come back to this later when I post pictures of the rem board.

To shape halsene correctly is a bit of a challenge. As far as I know, no living person today know how it was done traditionally. Some enthusiasts have found out that it should be done approximately the way I did, but there may be different opinion about that. I used the opportunity to do some experiments and made totally 20 halser. Finally I used hals no. 16, 18, 19 and 20.

Here is a picture of the 16 I didn't use:

"Halsene"

That answers my question about the similarity between the Hals, and the Groomsport yawls or Drontheims's garboard or sandstoke. As the Irish Drontheims were originally imported from Trondheim they are a true decendant, now made with a parallel sided keel allowing the keel to be replaced without disturbing the garboards.

This is great to see. Carving out the garboards (halser) looks to be quite a challenge. Is there an illustration of how the traditional "Y" shaped keel and garboards go together?
    Jeez I better save up to buy these books after all.

Yes, there is a sketch of the cross-section, but without any detailed information. The books are not ment to be used as a description of how to build these boates. One will need further information.

Dedication.

Rem board is being prepared.

The two aft rem board is ready for fixing.

Riveting the aft rem boards.

The two fore rem board is ready for fixing.

All rem boards are fixed. It remains to shape the upper edge.

Rem is finished.