Thread: Alden O-Boat

Default Alden O-Boat

Does anyone have any experience or comments about the O-Boat? Whats she like to sail in light winds? trailerable? Ok to handle by one person? Thanks. Tim

Default Re: Alden O-Boat

I have not sailed the O-boat but his design number 512 is similar and I have some experience with it. This one works well alone and in light winds. The picture at http://www.canoehullabaloo.com/sailing/alden-512.jpg shows it on a trailer and an older one at http://www.canoehullabaloo.com/sailing/alden-512-c.jpg shows it in more than light winds with several people. Good luck, Benson

Hey thanks a lot Benson good info!

I have seen one sailing, looked close at the one Chip Flanigan built, and think the plan sweet and well suited to your purpose.

A few years back, someone on this forum mentioned in a rather cryptic way some sort of incident or accident involving Alden O boats - the implication being that there was some flaw in the design - but never he never responded to my request for further details and clarification. I tried to research the design to see if I could discover what the incident was but found nothing.

I know that this isn't helpful to you, but I hope someone reads this and can enlighten us as to what this incident might have been
    I rather be an American than a Republican.

Thanks Brian, yes actually I've seen that mentioned before, I followed up on it and read that a group racers decided to remove the watertight bulkheads from their boats (for what reason I can't remember) and a storm came up and a lot of boats were sunk. Something along those lines. I didn't get the impression that it was due to a design flaw of the boat.

I'm liking the idea of building an O-Boat, I'm currently waiting to hear back from a guy at MIT who, according to WB magazine, holds the plans for the MK II version of the O-Boat. I hear it's a more recent version of the boat, I have no idea what that means but I guess I'll find out. I'm also considering cold molding it's hull as well, although I'm wondering how much $$ that's going to add to the cost to build. Tim

Many of those knockabouts were designed with watertight bulkheads and many of those bulkheads were removed, both for storage space and safety. Someone from the Atlantic Class said to me they had seen more boats sink from the ends filling than were kept from sinking. Things happen and people move on, but the O is a great choice for a comfortable daysailor. Carrick and Henderson tell the story in the Alden book, also the two versions are described and illustrated in the drawings included. I am sure that Niels Helleberg has the designs in the Alden Design collection: http://www.aldendesigns.com/

The original plans for his design number 512 did not include water tight bulkheads but someone added copper flotation tanks under the seats on mine at some point. Benson

I do not want to intrude on this thread as I have never sailed on O'class, but I liked it's appearance enough to have one lofted in my garage,with the molds made and starting on the keel and stem. I believe that it is Artisans Boatworks that has a brief description of the boat and I took it to mean it is good beginning day sailer. Also there was a thread here in 2011 regarding one for sale in the Maryland/DC area, which was on trailer. How easy it is to trailer sail I will eventually find out, I hope. The plans list 9 different sailing clubs where the boats were used, but how many at each one.

Thank you Tom for your reply. I'm excited to hear of someone out there actually building one. I've been researching this boat and really like it, along the way though, realized I didn't really have the room to build an 18 ft boat. So now I'm waiting for study plans on the 15 ft version #230. As Thad had said earlier, Niels Helleberg does indeed have the plans (and study plans). Tom did you happen to work up a cost to build the 18'er? Even a rough one? Are you going to plank it traditionally? Thanks a lot. Tim R

No, I did not work up a cost, although after pricing some wood and the lead ballast I suspect it will be 12,000 to 15,000 without the sails and rigging. I intend to build it by strip building, not carvel, as I intend to store it on a trailer. I want to use the framing as designed, but have not determined if I will coat the exterior with fiberglass or not. I liked the looks of the 25 footer in the Wooden Boat ad for west systems built by Artisan Boatworks, but do not have the space to build such a large boat. I started by looking at the Haven 12 1/2 and the Sommes 12 1/2, bit wanted something slightly larger, the 18foot Alden seems to fit.

Thanks again Tom, yeah I was thinking about either strip planking or cold molding as well for the same reason, trailering and storing on a trailer. I'm curious, do the plans include a material take off for your boat?

No. The plans consist of a sheet with the lines, a sheet with some construction details, two sheets of sail plans for different square footage, two pages of instructions and the offsets, which come from a different location, I believe it was MIT. I bought the plans from the Woodenboat store. They are not as detailed as some more recent ones appear to be, but it doesn't appear to be overly complicated ( I know famous last words).

Tom,
    I saw your thread from 3 years ago on the forum. I am also interested in an O boat. I was wondering how your construction is coming along.
    Thanks
    Rick

Sorry to be so late in responding, but I forgot the log in info and had to reset. I have the centerboard and centerboard trunk pieces made, the keel, stem, transom, transom knee and skeg roughed out and the molds made. I had hoped to have it set up by now, but other issues in life have interceded and my daughter has requested a small furniture piece which is the current priority. I would like to have the molds etc set up this winter, but time will tell.

Tom,
    How is your build coming along? How many molds are there for the build?
    How are you planning to plank it? Strips or cold molding. Any pictures would be great.
    Thanks
    Rick P

Rick, the building is slowely progressing. I have the molds on the building frame, together with the centerboard case, the keel and the inner stem. The transom is next to be added. There are 9 molds plus the transom. I was going to strip plank with epoxy, but I have been looking into glued plywood lapstrake over the last several months and may try that. Not ready to plank yet however. I will see if I can put some pictures up this weekend or so. Tom