Page 1 of 28 1211 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Bryan Betty

Default Harry Bryan Betty

I've decided to start another build. This'll be my third after the CLC Chester Yawl, and then the Coquina. The first was a kit, the 2nd from a very detailed set of plans from Doug Hylan. Both of these boats were either lap stitch or glued lap.
    Harry's plans of course illustrate traditional construction. At first I thought about doing it glued lap, but the more I think about it I'd like to my hand at traditional. It's a lapstrake boat.

I am setting up my lofting floor now. Should have it ready in a day or 2. I spoke to Harry this morning. Very nice guy. We talked wood for planking that I have available to me here in GA. He spoke of Atlantic white cedar. Lots of it on the gulf coast. I've used a bit of it on the coquina, but it was smaller stuff. SSupposedly there is a yard near Pensacola that has some larger stock, one of my Copilots loves near there and is checking for me (he's a wooden boat fan).
    Not much to show yet, but here's a pic of one Harry built for a client:

Last edited by Reynard38; 07-29-2013 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Spell check!
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Re: Harry Bryan Betty

I really enjoyed following your Coquina build- and thought the results were beautiful. Will this boat live on a trailer or in the water? I'm curious how your search for lumber goes. In my location it's tough to get much more than D. Fir. There's mahogany to be found, but not inexpensively.
    "A man builds the best of himself into a boat- builds many of the memories of his ancestors." -Steinbeck

Thanks, it'll be kept in the water.
    White oak for the keel and frames isn't a problem. With all the storms we've had there is a lot of blow down. My sawyer harvested a tree rrecently that is over 5' in diameter and dead straight for 40'. He's cutting my keel this week. Got the inner keel last week, same tree.
    I am starting the search for the planking stock.

Looks a bit like a stretched Rambler, or perhaps, a Rambler is a truncated version of that one. Very elegant.

Very elegant, yes, that's well put.

This design has always been a curiosity for me. The design brief must have included either "I loathe outboards" or "I dearly love small diesels". The notion of gently and elegantly passing time on the water seems somewhat at odds with the reality of having the Donk thumping away only a foot or two from your hip.

It's a plain gorgeous boat, though, and I very much look forward to your build!
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

I'm thinking of using one of the Beta diesels. A friend has one in his Friendship sloop. Very smooth and quiet.

Bit of tumblehome in the transom.

Keel drawn in with rabbet and knee.

1/2 of the 1/2 breadths.

Allright! This will be fun.
    Chuck Thompson

Looking at locally available wood : a friend of mine has been buying rough sawn White Pine from Swanee Lumber . This is on Buford Highway in Swanee Georgia ; just down the road a ways from your marina. The Pulsifer Hampton is strip planked with White Pine ,which is a pretty good recommendation for the material. John Gardner has called it "prime planking stock" . Lots of boats of all types were planked with it in the past and decked with it as well . Apparently it lasts pretty well . An epoxy primer would help there and harden the surface a bit.
    Last edited by Bill Perkins; 08-08-2013 at 08:32 AM.

First frame. Chine is 1/2 lapped per Harry's directions.

Gotta get more white oak.

Picked up 8 4/4 X @10" 8' oak boards. Planed them down to 7/8 for the frames and floors.

Got 3 of the 10 frames and floors cut. # 7 has a slight curve above the chine. I used the "nail on edge" method to mark the cut. Worked great. Finished up with a hand plane.

Good stuff.

What's the plan for the log on the bench?
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

Hard to tell from the pic, but it's a crook from a huge white ash tree that went down on my neighbors property. Old pre-civil war house back there on 13 acres.
    i asked and they said no problem when I told them I wanted a chunk of it for a boat.
    Planning on using it for a breasthook. I'm gonna take it to my sawyer and have him live edge cut it so I can cut it on my bandsaw.

White pine -- rot resistant? That can't be same white pine at hardware warehouses, right? It's pretty and cheap. Good news.

#1 station frame. As the kink at the chine was so slight I just sawed this one out. Those very oblique dados for the 1/2 lap are a pain to set up. Used a bit more wood, but this should work fine.
    Also cut the floor and the beveled slot for the stem. The lofting makes it easy to pick off the angles.
    Still need to trim the lower end of the frames. Might wait until everything is glued and riveted first.
    I am starting to see the value in lofting!

It actually didn't rain here today (at least at the lake) so......

Didn't get much done on the Betty

Rained today, back at it.
    The nail-on-edge method works really well.

Very nice! The lofting board and hammer, this is how Jim Ledger started out, you know...

In regards to Capefox's question, the pine that you see at the big box stores is probably sugar pine, pinus lambertania, generally from the West as opposed to the northern white pine from the local sawmills of the Northeast, pinus strobus, of which Gardner refers. I do not have the text in front of me, but I recall that he made the usual caveat about heartwood vs sapwood. If you have not chosen your planking stock, perhaps your local variety of SYP (likely pinus taeda) would be just as good as northern white pine.

Betty is a handsome boat, nice to see this build.
    Last edited by SMARTINSEN; 08-22-2013 at 06:20 PM.
    Steve Martinsen

I'm not lobbying for Eastern White Pine . No doubt it's not the "best"; but just as a matter of interest references show the range of the trees coming South along the Blue Ridge ,across the very top of Georgia ,and on into the extreme Northeast corner of Alabama . I've definitely seen some fine ones on the upper Chattooga River ,a micro climate that forms the border between Georgia and South Carolina (these trees are protected) . The lumber yard I mentioned can of course draw from further a field if it's cheaper . My boat building friend bought some very nice Ash from Pennsylvania there.
    Last edited by Bill Perkins; 08-26-2013 at 10:58 PM.

Ewwwww. Ohhh. Pretty magic lines.

I know little about lofting and so admire your efforts here. It's alchemy to me.
    Chuck Thompson

Looking forward to seeing more progress pictures of this build, looking like you are off to a great start.
    My First Boat Build:
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...acgregor-Canoe
    Iain Oughtred - Macgregor Canoe - 15 foot

Ordered the copper rivets, roves and GFlex epoxy.
    Time to start assembling the frames.

On the subject of planking I'm hoping to go with Atlantic White Cedar. I had a place near Nags Head reccomended by several people. Apparently he cuts AWC for boat planking.
    About a 7 hour drive over there, so a road trip is in the works.

Whew! That's a hike to buy lumber. But a good idea to put you own eye on it.
    Chuck Thompson

You've graduated to the big leagues with this build! It'll be great to see it go together.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    On the subject of planking I'm hoping to go with Atlantic White Cedar. I had a place near Nags Head reccomended by several people. Apparently he cuts AWC for boat planking.
    About a 7 hour drive over there, so a road trip is in the works.
    In my younger days I was never disappointed when my road trips ended up at Nags Head. From where I grew up Va Beach was 1 hr and Nags Head was 2 so day trips were to Va Beach, weekends were to Nags Head. A good friend worked/lived there for the summers, always knew where there was a party. Oh to be 19 again...

Cheers,

Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    You've graduated to the big leagues with this build! It'll be great to see it go together.
    It feels like it! With Hylans plans for the Coquina you felt like he was there helping you at every step. With Harry's 3 sheets you ddefinetely have to figure things out yourself.
    I could not have built the Coquina without having done the CLC Chester Yawl first. No way I'd attempt this one without having built the Coquina. It's a progression.

Mark, Beautiful job so far. That will be one sweet boat for putting around the lakes there. If you have shore power where you will berth her and depending on how long, how far and how fast you want to go Betty could be a good candidate for electric power. It would be easy to drive at hull speed and you could get rid of that big engine box in the middle of the cockpit. Probably a little quieter too
    Denny Wolfe
    www.wolfEboats.com

Quote Originally Posted by chuckt View Post
    Whew! That's a hike to buy lumber. But a good idea to put you own eye on it.
    I trucked almost 2,000 bd. ft from WA to ME for my boat. A 7 hr. drive is next door!

I too will enjoy watching this build.

re: engine noise: leave plenty of room for completely sealing things with SoundDown. On my boat with a modern diesel (Yanmar) & good soundproofing, you can carry on a normal conversation while standing over it (it's below the cabin sole) when it's running @ 2200rpm.

The idea of electric propulsion is compelling on the lake. I need to compare weights as I'd like to keep the boat as light as possible.
    We are seriously considering a move to the coast a few years down the road which would involve using the boat a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    The idea of electric propulsion is compelling on the lake. I need to compare weights as I'd like to keep the boat as light as possible.
    We are seriously considering a move to the coast a few years down the road which would involve using the boat a lot more.
    How much would the diesel, tank and fuel weigh?

Could you live with say four hours duration at hull speed? Six hours?

Could you accept 7 or 8 kts top speed?

Electric motor weight is nothing - a 13 hp motor weighs 35#, you could carry one in each hand. The batteries on the other hand are a little heavier. On the plus side they are small and can be located wherever you need the weight for trim. 500# of lead acid (about $2000) or 200# of lithium batteries (very ball park $6000)would probably get you the 4 hours at 6 kts.

A little Honda EU2000i (53#, $1000) quiet generator would probably push the boat 4 kts and use practically no gas. Strap it down to a swim platform when you need it and you wouldn't see it or hardly hear it.
    Denny Wolfe
    www.wolfEboats.com

I think living the good life , putting along the SE coast (or lakes) with friends and family , requires a shading device of some kind .
    Last edited by Bill Perkins; 09-04-2013 at 09:33 PM.

And it will have one!
    Just got done with my required recurrent simulator training. Back on the Betty tomorrow!