Thread: Oughtred Scoraig Skiff Scantlings

Default Oughtred Scoraig Skiff Scantlings

After asking folk on here for build suggestions I'm 80% sure that what i'd really like to build to teach woodworking skills and eventually use for sail training is an unbuilt design of Iain Oughtred's that he calls the Scoraig Skiff.

As its an old design of his he has never worked up a construction drawing and he can't do so quick enough for me to meet to cost the build before a funding deadline. I've built and repaired a few boats but not enough to figure out construction details and scantlings from just a lines plan. Can anyone suggest a good source for guidance on this? The boat will be 20' loa by 6'1" beam.

I don't need a perfect construction drawing just enough info to draw up a fastener schedule and have a rough idea of volumes of timber required.

Here's couple of bad photos of the plans to give folk an idea of the hull shape, its pretty much a classic west coast fishing boat lines. Very bonnie to my eye anyway!
    Ben Duffin Boatbuilding
    www.benduffin.co.uk

Default Re: Oughtred Scoraig Skiff Scantlings

'Boat strength' by Dave Gerr has all the info you need. You have the other copy right? if not Ill bring the one I have in the mora

Trad. planking or plywood/epoxy stuff? Lapstrake or carvel? How much ballast?
    If this post did not meet all of your needs, please consult this thread for more options.

I had forgotten Dave Gerr, I knew there was a reason I accidentally bought two copies!

James: It'll be Trad clinker built. Larch on bent oak frames. Copper rivetted. I don't know about ballast, Iain said he would think about it!
    Ben Duffin Boatbuilding
    www.benduffin.co.uk

7/16 larch, framed on 12" centers and fastened between every 3". Oak ribs 3/4 x 1-1/4. Sawn floors every third frame, sided 1"--maybe closer amidships if you're putting in much internal ballast. That's my estimate off the top of my head for a moderate workboat of this displacement. I could see going to 1/2" for garboard and broads if you're using stone ballast.
    If this post did not meet all of your needs, please consult this thread for more options.

Well seeing that it's a an Iain O version of a traditional fishing boat, a classic of the West Coast then maybe you could try the framing system used in the Shetland Yoles. Very traditional and also a few less frames to fit than a more conventional approach.

This is a preserved version in the Unst Maritime Museum

This is a modern version.

Iain O has a fascination for these designs and if you don't have framing schedule or the details of how he intended her to be framed you could be innovative.

Just had a look at the SW Scots skiffs in The Chatham Directory. They were steam framed, with sawn floors on or between each third or fourth frame reaching up to the level of the platform just below the turn of the bilge.
    James pretty well nailed it .
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Just had a look at the SW Scots skiffs in The Chatham Directory. They were steam framed, with sawn floors on or between each third or fourth frame reaching up to the level of the platform just below the turn of the bilge.
    James pretty well nailed it .
    Really? That's awesome, cause I just pulled it straight from general principles.

Cheers folks. That seems like enough to get working on. If we ever actually start this build i'll be sure to put photos up. Its been a year of planning and discussions so far so not much to show for it yet beyond a bit of funding. Anyway... Thanks!
    Ben Duffin Boatbuilding
    www.benduffin.co.uk