Thread: 1952-4 Sunfish Sailboat

Default 1952-4 Sunfish Sailboat

Came across an early Sunfish in Grand Island NY, mostly intact, restoration had been started but not finished. The boat had been painted red and the mast and spars were still intact. We decided to sand the deck and chine, coat with clear epoxy and repaint the hull red.

Pictures at smallboatrestoration blog

We have a small leak somewhere, take on a little water while sailing, less than a quart. We think the boat might swell a bit, as it has been stored in cold climate for 7 plus years. We moved it down to Florida. Once we find the leak and repair it, is it going to be OK to store it in a dry shed in muggy Florida?

Thanks
    Kent

Default Re: 1952-4 Sunfish Sailboat

Nice restoration! I built a Sailfish copy as a kid in the late '60's, from plans sold by the Boy Scouts. My first (successful) boat building project. They called it a Sailing Surfboard, if memory serves me correctly. It used a rig from a Sailfish which I got in trade from a neighbor in exchange for a few wax jobs on his car. It was a blast to sail, and also took on a little water as time went on. I wound up fiber-glassing it with old glass curtains from my mother, and polyester resin. It helped but did not completely cure the leak. I was pretty sure that the leak was through the centerboard trunk, which I was not able to effectively seal post-build. Have fun!
    Proud but humble member of the LPBC

Default Re: 1952-4 Sunfish Sailboat

1953 Alcort Sunfish Zip chasing the 1950s Alcort Standard Sailfish Winnie.

<em>

FMI: Zip and Winnie

Cheers
    Kent and Audrey