Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 213031
Results 1,051 to 1,067 of 1067

Thread: An Ilur in Vermont

Default Re: An Ilur in Vermont

Lovely John! I had been wondering about your removable rear thwart. I intend to make mine removable for sleeping, but i see in one photo that you're sailing without it. I'd think that would be pretty tempting much of the time. Do you ever just leave it ashore? Which is your main rowing thwart?

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Hi, Mike—yes, the sleeping accommodations and general room for lounging are vastly improved with the rear thwart removed:

The design of the CNC kit with sawn frames and egg crate style construction makes the rear thwart non structural.....not sure if that is the case with the classic version you are building.....
    I found that when rowing solo, the boat balanced fine with me on the forward thwart:

I don’t think I had the rear thwart in the boat at all this season, come to think of it.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by John hartmann; 12-31-2017 at 11:57 AM. Reason: punctuation

Happy & Healthy New Year, John and Gabrielle!!!

I am so glad that you were able to restore all of your pictures. Given how immensely helpful your thread was for my own Ilur building process (not to mention your willingness to provide me with so many additional tips) I would imagine that the thread will be equally as helpful to anyone building a F. Vivier kit boat - Ilur or otherwise.

I am hoping that next year we'll see at least one more Ilur at the 2018 SRR.

I also concur on the front thwart working well when rowing solo. In my build I have both thwarts removable.
    This winter I am not building anything new and just studying charts for adventures in the next season!
    The Tangiers Sound in the Chesapeake has great appeal.

Cheers!
    Chris

Valcour Island was my old sailing ground back in my bachelor days close to 40 years ago. Then I met my future wife and sold the boat to pay off her car loan. Now, that's true love!

I never bent the sail on my Hvalsoe13 even once this year. Too busy fooling around with my new Palmer launch.

Beautiful pictures. Wonderful to enjoy while sitting in front of the fire with -6F outside!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Valcour is a lovely spot......and yes, it was true love to give up the boat.....wise choice!

It is a large island, and from a small boat like Waxwing, it will take a number of trips to explore it completely.....

I used to keep my little 17' fiberglass sailboat moored at a marina just across from Valcour Island. This was back when there was a large U.S. Air Force base very, very close by. The B-52's, F111's and flying tankers would fly low over the marina on takeoff. What a noise!!!
    I did indeed sell that FG boat to pay off her car loan, but she's since lovingly agreed to let me build 17 wooden boats over the past 37 years.

Quote Originally Posted by John hartmann View Post
    Off Valcour Island:

That was a sporty crossing. Good memories.

Here, a brief unedited video clip of that sail:

Where did you launch from? The NY or Vermont side of the lake? If from the Vermont side, that was a lot of open water to cover in a small boat to Valcour.

Rich, we put in at the fisherman’s access at the south west side of Grand Isle, just across the causeway, and sailed around the south end of Grand at Allen Point, and then over to Valcour. Yes, the lake is a big body of water!

Nice picture John! I'd guess that one would have a Gabrielle photo credit?

That couldn't be replicated right now, as our water has gone all crusty in this cold....

Tom

The River is such a huge source of sense memories for me—along with the light, the sounds of wind and wave, and the scent of that watery place, the colour pallete of the water always stops me in my tracks. I should make the trek out that way when all is frozen... I am sure the winter clime only adds to the magic of the River....
    Last edited by John hartmann; 01-02-2018 at 08:23 PM.

I thought I'd update that photo for the season -- but the place is somehow not the same without Waxwing.....

Chittenden Reservoir??
    They believe everything they can prove, and they can prove everything they believe.
    -- Alan Furst. Red Gold

Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of a cancer cell.
    -- Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Cody View Post
    Chittenden Reservoir??
    Nope, Thousand Islands/St Lawrence River

I've read this entire (!) thread with great interest, and it's taken me to other threads of other Vivien Ilur builders, and to the wonderful "Ilur in Ireland" blog. Thank you very much, John, for putting all of the effort into documenting the building process and your experience with rigging and sailing your beautiful boat. Truly an inspiration. Reading this, I feel I know you a little bit - your country place with all the animals looks truly idyllic.

I am eagerly awaiting picking up my new kit from Louis Ducharme near Montréal, M. Vivier's kit supplier in Canada. It is an excuse for a road trip to visit friends and family in Ontario and Québec, and if I'm going to drive 3500 km, I figured I might as well drive an extra 500 km into Maine and treat myself to a weeklong intro to boat-building course at the WBS in Maine. I am very much looking forward to arriving there in a few weeks. The road trip will be its own little adventure, I've lived in 4 different provinces and travelled a lot of the world, but somehow have never really seen much of New England. Your photos make it look like a good place to go!

I decided on an ilur after looking at dozens of other options by Welsford, Oughtred, Fisher et al. The description and photos of the completeness of the kit provided by you and others was a deciding factor. I hope that sometime in 2020 a new Ilur can be launched into the huge Boreal-zone lakes of Northern Saskatchewan... A modern-day York Boat one might say...

I've recently received the plans set from Francois and don't see details for the sprit-boom among the spars... Did you just modify the running-pole with a spotter line ?

Again, my great thanks for a clear and instructive thread - your warmth and humour are quite evident! And you play the highland pipes as well!

Ian Fleming
    Saskatoon, Canada

Ian—
    Thanks for the kind words about the build and the thread. It makes me happy to know that my experiences with Waxwing have piqued so many folks’ interest, and that the thread seems to work as a resource for others undertaking builds.....it is a brilliant design, and I’m pleased it is garnering positive attention in North America.
    The sprit was the suggestion of my sailmaker, and I am generally pleased with it in use.....it makes reefing drills a bit fussier, but not much. It shows it’s benefits most strongly downwind, when it prevents “bellying” in the sail, tho’ with an effective snotter arrangement it can also function as an ersatz outhaul to help flatten the sail as the wind picks up. For me, the benefits in controlling sail shape outweighed the extra fuss of handling it in use.....others likely have different experiences and opinions, so take my comments with a grain of salt, or at least viewed within the context of how I use it....the sprit is 128” long, with leathers from 6-24”......the snotter is arranged so that the forward end of the sprit is roughly at the level of the main’s first reef point.
    Have a wonderful time at the Wooden Boat School! That part of the Maine coast is glorious—it is a great organization, and an amazing crew of folks on staff.....should be a fine way to become acquainted with the Maine coast!
    Last edited by John hartmann; 05-17-2018 at 03:10 PM.