Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202930
Results 1,016 to 1,020 of 1020

Thread: An Ilur in Vermont

Default Re: An Ilur in Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by jeffcapeshop View Post
    Hi there, just wondering if i could ask about chamfering for the next plank, and cutting gains - i don't think i see either on the bottom (upper) plank on these photos, were they done after gluing, on the jig?

My reading of the instructions suggests doing them on the bench, i can see benefits and disadvantages of either though..

edit: the more i think about it the harder i think it would be to get it right on the bench before testing with the next plank, but i should check anyway!
    Hi Jeff, I definitely cut my gains on the plank fastened to the boat...in my view, much easier to test fit and sneak up on perfection. I don't have a photo of them at the bow, but I did the same there, too. I know I got a lot of inspiration from John's great build thread.

[IMG]image by Jason D, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]image by Jason D, on Flickr[/IMG]

thanks jason! I'll do it that way. Nice to read through your build thread too, every one helps a lot, and yes - i think this thread was very much the deciding factor in picking the ilur - he sold it well!

Hi, Jeff--
    Thanks for the kind words, and sorry for a late response--satellite internet was offline for a day. Anyway, as Jason suggests, I mostly cut gains on the plank which was already hung.....except for a few areas--if you look back to post #105, you will see ship lapped gains at the transom, where the first half was cut on the boat, the other on the bench. Otherwise, I would scribe a line on the previously hung plank as I was dry fitting the next plank to be hung, and cut the gain on the hull.

I'm sure you've seen this John but anyway .... it's an Ilur

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Oh dear ! I just went back and saw it up already ! It's still good so I'll leave it .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead