Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202930
Results 1,016 to 1,045 of 1045

Thread: An Ilur in Vermont

Default Re: An Ilur in Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by jeffcapeshop View Post
    Hi there, just wondering if i could ask about chamfering for the next plank, and cutting gains - i don't think i see either on the bottom (upper) plank on these photos, were they done after gluing, on the jig?

My reading of the instructions suggests doing them on the bench, i can see benefits and disadvantages of either though..

edit: the more i think about it the harder i think it would be to get it right on the bench before testing with the next plank, but i should check anyway!
    Hi Jeff, I definitely cut my gains on the plank fastened to the boat...in my view, much easier to test fit and sneak up on perfection. I don't have a photo of them at the bow, but I did the same there, too. I know I got a lot of inspiration from John's great build thread.

[IMG]image by Jason D, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]image by Jason D, on Flickr[/IMG]

thanks jason! I'll do it that way. Nice to read through your build thread too, every one helps a lot, and yes - i think this thread was very much the deciding factor in picking the ilur - he sold it well!

Hi, Jeff--
    Thanks for the kind words, and sorry for a late response--satellite internet was offline for a day. Anyway, as Jason suggests, I mostly cut gains on the plank which was already hung.....except for a few areas--if you look back to post #105, you will see ship lapped gains at the transom, where the first half was cut on the boat, the other on the bench. Otherwise, I would scribe a line on the previously hung plank as I was dry fitting the next plank to be hung, and cut the gain on the hull.

I'm sure you've seen this John but anyway .... it's an Ilur

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Oh dear ! I just went back and saw it up already ! It's still good so I'll leave it .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

An(other) Ilur in Ireland. First sail at La Semaine du Golfe!

Last edited by Edward Pearson; 09-29-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Love that boat! Great boom, too. I need to get the dimensions for the kits.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Beautiful job, those folks!

I'm curious, as I'm planning the same rig (thanks to messrs. Hartmann and Vivier) does the sprit boom need to be that long in front? Is it for adjustability of foot-tension?
    Still a long way off for me, though.

Lovely photo.

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Hi, Mike--
    No, the mainsail sprit could be a bit shorter and still work fine....small adjustments in snotter tension make big differences in the ersatz outhaul function....you should easily be able to reach forward to remove the snotter from the clothes-pin end of the sprit without having to lean way out.... for the mizzen, it is most helpful to have enough of the sprit projecting forward of the mast to use it as a handle to manually backwind the mizzen.....in tight mooring areas, or shoving off a beach, you can stand in the cockpit, control the mizzen by the sprit to kick the stern over, and backwind the main while holding the tiller over with a knee and spin the boat on a dime....very useful for maneuvering in tight areas...

Good to see that Waxwing's fame has extended across the Atlantic!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Good to see that Waxwing's fame has extended across the Atlantic!
    Very cool, and well deserved!

It's the red staysail, that's all.

Edit to add: Hey, the cover shot from Watercraft disappeared from post #1025! I was going to ask what article it goes with, if any. Is there an Ilur review in the current issue? And congratulations, John!

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 10-10-2017 at 02:02 PM.
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    It's the red staysail, that's all.

Edit to add: Hey, the cover shot from Watercraft disappeared from post #1025! I was going to ask what article it goes with, if any. Is there an Ilur review in the current issue? And congratulations, John!

Tom
    Seems like the whole post containing that picture was deleted. Strange.

Seems like the whole post containing that picture was deleted. Strange.
    By Edward - not Scot.

Wonder why he whacked it?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Edward removed the picture when I let him know that Watercraft had used the image without contacting me to ask permission, and because I had submitted the image to Small Boat Monthly when they published an article I had written about mizzen staysails—I didn’t know if there would be copyright issues, so Edward took down the picture while I did some research, to avoid any potential conflicts between Watercraft and our hosts. Having gone back and re-read the copyright agreement I signed with WB, my take is that once the issue is past current, that I continue to have rights to use the image, so I don’t think there should be a conflict, and Edward is free to re-post the image as far as I am concerned.
    Last edited by John hartmann; 10-10-2017 at 08:13 PM. Reason: spelling/punctuation

I should add that I am tickled that the Ilur and Waxwing continue to garner interest on both sides of the Atlantic, and I am delighted to see Vivier’s lovely design getting well deserved attention!

Its worth saying that I'm sure any readers with build or travel blogs from anywhere in the world can write and submit articles for Watercraft, especially ones with high quality pictures of small boats in great scenery. There's only so much brown water and overcast skies we can take in Blighty. Its good to show us other promised lands exist...
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 10-10-2017 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John hartmann View Post
    I should add that I am tickled that the Ilur and Waxwing continue to garner interest on both sides of the Atlantic, and I am delighted to see Vivier’s lovely design getting well deserved attention!
    Your tweaking of the design, with the yawl rig and others innovations, have elevated the Ilur to another level. It's good to see the recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post

Its worth saying that I'm sure any readers with build or travel blogs from anywhere in the world can write and submit articles for Watercraft, especially ones with high quality pictures of small boats in great scenery. There's only so much brown water and overcast skies we can take in Blighty. Its good to show us other promised lands exist...
    In a conversation with a friend recently, I commented on how many pictures of boats from that corner of the world (we were actually talking about the Vivier and Grand Largue web sites with crimson boats on the Brittany coast) seem to highlight boats painted in bright colour schemes......his response was exactly in tune with your sentiment, Edward.....long winters, overcast skies....and cheery, colourful boats......

For any one who does not subscribe to Small Boats Monthly, and especially for sailors who inhabit places with a tendency toward overcast skies and brown water, here is another image from the Maine coast, on a summer day....ghosting conditions, and an absurdly red staysail.....

I have used GPS to verify that the staysail adds measurable speed to the boat....but there is no app to quantify how much of the additional speed is due to the staysail’s crimson hue.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edward removed the picture when I let him know that Watercraft had used the image without contacting me to ask permission
    John,

That's outside the bounds of normal publishing ethics as I understand them, especially for a cover photo--perhaps an error, since I assume Watercraft is a legit operation. I had the same thing happen to me when I found a photo of mine on a full-page ad somewhere. Might be worth a note to the editor--when it happened to me, the company involved was pretty gracious after I contacted them to see what was up, and actually paid for the use of the photo, which I didn't ask for. Of course, many people would be happier not bothering with fighting this kind of thing.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Tom, I sent a note to the editor yesterday afternoon to ask for clarification, and he responded immediately—it turns out it’s all on the up and up, and it was my misunderstanding, and my error. Gardner Pickering of Hewes & Company was shooting images at the same time, and sent the image to Francois Vivier for the article on kit boats in the current issue. So it is Gardner’s image, and not mine, on the cover. I thanked him for responding, and for choosing the image of Waxwing for the cover shot.
    Last edited by John hartmann; 10-11-2017 at 07:09 AM.

For any one who does not subscribe to Small Boats Monthly, and especially for sailors who inhabit places with a tendency toward overcast skies and brown water, here is another image from the Maine coast, on a summer day....ghosting conditions, and an absurdly red staysail.....

I have used GPS to verify that the staysail adds measurable speed to the boat....but there is no app to quantify how much of the additional speed is due to the staysail’s crimson hue.....

No doubt about it... the darker color of the staysail heats the air around it, sending thermal currents back over the mizzen, resulting in a burst of speed.

Tom, I sent a note to the editor yesterday afternoon to ask for clarification, and he responded immediately—it turns out it’s all on the up and up, and it was my misunderstanding, and my error. Gardner Pickering of Hewes & Company was shooting images at the same time, and sent the image to Francois Vivier for the article on kit boats in the current issue. So it is Gardner’s image, and not mine, on the cover. I thanked him for responding, and for choosing the image of Waxwing for the cover shot.
    Ah--that's good to hear! And that's a good reminder (for me, I mean) to approach things like this gently, as there is often a perfectly good explanation for it.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Your tweaking of the design, with the yawl rig and others innovations, have elevated the Ilur to another level. It's good to see the recognition.
    Couldn't agree more, plus the great build thread that has helped more than one builder....

Thanks for the kind words, Jason and Rich. For anyone who is interested, I have restored the images previously kidnapped and held hostage by the corporate greedy guts at Photobucket. Hopefully, this old thread may continue to be a resource for others to use and enjoy.
    Last edited by John hartmann; 11-23-2017 at 01:00 AM.

I was a little miffed that one of the photos of John's ILUR in the kit article didn't even mention Chase Small Craft!!! They missed the boat and I let them know.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

Clint, I am sure that the omission was a simple oversite. I was over the moon with Waxwing’s kit, and I would look for another Chase Small Craft kit for future builds in a skinny minute.

Here is a link to some video footage of the staysail in use which was out take for the Small Boats Monthly article:

Default An Ilur in Vermont

Here are a couple of images showing rigging details. Head of the staysail hoisted by a halyard on the mizzen mast:

Tack line runs forward to the windward side, using the cleat which I usually use for setting the boomtent.

The sheet runs from the clew through a thimble on a roband which is dropped over the aft/leeward cleat on the gunwale, then forward to a small clamcleat on the inboard face of the rail:

Last edited by John hartmann; 11-13-2017 at 06:58 AM.

Clint, I am sure that the omission was a simple oversite. I was over the moon with Waxwing’s kit, and I would look for another Chase Small Craft kit for future builds in a skinny minute.
    Thank you...it is hard to really break into this field with giants like CLC, and the like who get the attention! I just keep plugging away and try to make the best kits in the world. This approach works, albeit slowly.

I am really excited about the complete kits for ILUR and I have an order for one locally, here in Falmouth, ME. That will be fun! And nice to be interacting again with Vivier boats. I learned so much from my collaboration with FV early in my career, still much to learn!
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine