Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12312 ... LastLast

Thread: An Ilur in Vermont

Default An Ilur in Vermont

Vivier evolves and tweaks many of his designs over time, so a design like Ilur which has been available for a while gets well sorted out. Some of the tweaks are not minor--his Beg Meil uses the Ilur hull with a gaff sloop rig. Compare this to the image in post #17:
    Last edited by John hartmann; 07-02-2017 at 12:26 PM.

The plans call for the garboards to be layed down to the centerline, and then opening up the center board slot. This could potentially expose end grain of the garboards, a set up for water entry into the planking:
    Last edited by John hartmann; 07-02-2017 at 12:28 PM.

My solution is to relieve the edges of the inner keelson by a mm or so from the inside surface of the finished CB case, then trim the garboards flush to this. I can then cover exposed wood with a skin of fiberglass bias tape set in epoxy:

Last edited by John hartmann; 07-02-2017 at 12:29 PM.

And here is where we are as I get closer to fixing the inner keel to the superstructure....
    Last edited by John hartmann; 07-02-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Default Re: An Ilur in Vermont

That all looks familiar - I finished a Beg-Meil kit last year purchased from Clint. Since these are seemingly the same boat, I wonder why the BM design calls for a 90# metal CB and Ilur is using plywood?

Any insight?

BTW - I've only been able to sail my boat 4 times since I finished last September. No excuses - just life. No complaints so far, but it would be nice to experience a steady breeze rather than the blustery conditions we have in Montana.

All the best - Gary

Way cool! Am I wrong, but in #9 and #10 it looks like the building jig itself was part of the kit and all you had to do was supply casters?
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

Yes, the strongback and stands were part of the kit, I added the casters to make life easier during the build.
    Last edited by John hartmann; 07-02-2017 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Davis View Post
    ..I wonder why the BM design calls for a 90# metal CB and Ilur is using plywood?
    Maybe because Beg Meil has 14% more sail area?

Interesting also on your centerboard. I am building Walt Simmon's Lincolnville Salmon Wherry @ 15" LOA, and his centerboard shape is similar. When I asked him about foiling it, he replied that sure, I could if I wanted, but he thought it was overkill for traditional designs. Someone like Iain Oughtred designs in specific foil-shaped centerboards. So I think I will go your route: just round off the leading edge, and taper the trailing edge to a nice flat 1/8" or so. It's made from ply; I thought I'd merely hit it with 2-3 coats of epoxy, then paint and forego glassing.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

The Lincolnville salmon wherry is a really lovely boat! It, along with the Christman wherry, got some very long looks before I decided on the Ilur. Where are you in the building process?

So, after reassuring myself that the slot in the inner keel was adequately relieved, I mixed up a batch of thickened epoxy, spread enough to fill any irregular surfaces, but not so much that squeeze out would over run into the CB trunk causing great nashing of teeth and hours of tedious scraping, and clamped the thing home.....but I hedged my bets by placing a piece of foam judiciously wrapped in duct tape to catch squeeze out where I could mop it up immediately......

You can see the foam block's duct tape wig hat if you look closely....
    Last edited by John hartmann; 07-02-2017 at 12:37 PM.

The anti-spooge shows it's true colors.
    Last edited by John hartmann; 07-02-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Squeeky clean!
    Last edited by John hartmann; 07-02-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Excellent idea of the taped foam plug.

I've got my building jig up, the stem and stern knees attached to the plank keel, and am almost finished with beveling the plank keel, a tedious process. I am completely envious of the idea of having a building jig and mold stations that are absolutely perfect. Had there been a similar kit for the Lincolnville Salmon Wherry I think I would have gone for it.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

So, you will be planking soon! I am looking forward to that phase of my build--I really enjoy using planes and spokeshaves....there is something about the quiet focus, and the rhythm that I find meditative and deeply pleasing as the workpiece takes shape in front of me....then there will be the satisfaction of seeing the hull take shape. Given the demands on my time, taking a plan from offsets to lofting to building would have been a stretch, and building a seriously traditional small boat rather thaa glued lap an even bigger one, but this kit is allowing me to take handwork skill and available time to build something I hope will be beautiful. What could be better?

Planing plank edges and beveling planks is a true joy of boat building. Something you just can't zip off with a power tool.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

10 pairs of CNC cut strakes awaiting glue up. Sissy chicken in background on earwig patrol.
    Last edited by John hartmann; 07-03-2017 at 04:58 AM.

The hired help can't abide disorderly conduct, and promptly mustered the chicken from the shop.
    Last edited by John hartmann; 07-03-2017 at 05:00 AM.

Epoxing the finger joints of the first two strakes, with weights to keep things flat.
    Last edited by John hartmann; 07-03-2017 at 05:02 AM.

Ready for a bit of clean up with a scraper.
    Last edited by John hartmann; 07-03-2017 at 05:03 AM.

So far, so good.
    Last edited by John hartmann; 07-03-2017 at 05:05 AM.

And some fiberglass to reinforce the finger joints. Clint Chase suggested I do this for the strakes on the hull bottom which may come into contact with the trailer.....I'm thinking the first four strakes should be enough.
    Last edited by John hartmann; 07-03-2017 at 05:55 AM.

So along with continuing the glue up of the planks, the next item on the docket is beveling the keelson to accept the garboards. I clamped a long batten to the molds, with an edge snug against theedge of the keelson in order to find the outboard line of the bevel:

Last edited by John hartmann; 07-03-2017 at 05:08 AM.

After scribing that line, a saw is used to cut a series of kerfs to connect the centerline and outboard lines, giving me a visual cue for the chisel and plane work to come:

Also had a visit from fellow forumite Rich Jones, who braved the unending monsoon to see the goings on in my mountainside boatshop. We compared plans (the Hvalsoe 13 is one beautiful boat!) as we snacked on strawberry shortcake; an elegant time was had by all....
    Last edited by John hartmann; 07-03-2017 at 05:14 AM.

Yes, the Vermont monsoons are endless. John and I will soon have to put our heads together on building an Ark. One lane of the highway on the way home was closed due to a mudslide. It just never stops! It was indeed a nice visit and fun to compare notes. John is a gifted artisan with a keen mind. His Ilur is coming along nicely and his sailing St. Lawrence River Skiff is absolutely beautiful. A nice combination of different woods and a very innovative sailing rig. Nice by any standard and beautiful when you consider that it's his first shot at boatbuilding.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Yes, the Vermont monsoons are endless.
    Glad I'm @ 1500 ft.

I knew I shoulda checked in & seen about meeting both you guys!

I'm @ 1600ft. but I have to drive thru the lowlands to get here! John's gonna plan a trip over to my place sometime. Maybe you can meet us here. We'll keep you in mind.

And you are both welcome here--i will be around a lot for the next couple of weeks, and working on the Ilur as much as I can during that time. Also, the raspberries should be ripe soon.....Rich, thanks for the kind words. I was gob smacked by some of those pictures of your (many) builds. That gaff sloop was gorgeous!

Loads of kerfs

And piles of shavings:

Last edited by John hartmann; 07-03-2017 at 05:13 AM.

And the keelson bevel begins to emerge.
    Last edited by John hartmann; 07-03-2017 at 05:16 AM.

One of my favorite tools......
    Last edited by John hartmann; 07-03-2017 at 05:18 AM.

Looking good John, it's gonna be a fun year! I get the slot in the keelson but what are the square holes in the keelson near the transom?

Those are mortices for tenons on the hull side of the skeg--once the garboards are layed into position, they are also morticed to recieve the tenons. The photo was a dry fit when I was doing the keelson mortices to check location and fit.
    Last edited by John hartmann; 07-03-2017 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John How View Post
    Looking good John, it's gonna be a fun year! I get the slot in the keelson but what are the square holes in the keelson near the transom?

Vivier leggo .... How good is it.
    its tempting to get one of his kits just to see it go together...

"Now first you finish those other three boats you started, you hear!!! "

Very, very good! Every time I t urn around, I find some detail or other that was designed, lived with, thought about, and noodled with to make it better. This was a design that Vivier had been working with for probably more than 10 years before he transmogrified it into this CNC cut kit. It is very tidy.