Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67817 ... LastLast

Thread: An Ilur in Vermont

Default Re: An Ilur in Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by John hartmann View Post
    Here is the head of the rudder in progress. The blade will swing around the circle; shock cord fore and raising line aft will hold the blade up or down as needed.
    http://[IMG]http://i1166.photobucket....jpg[/IMG]
    Hmm... I've never seen a kick-up rudder done like that before--interesting. It seems like there will be no way to remove the blade from the cheeks, though? That will make a pretty unwieldy package to carry around and store if you ever have to remove the rudder. Or am I missing something obvious about how to do that?

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

It is designed so that the tiller is easily removed, but once assembled, the blade and rudder head are a single unit.

Well, that will definitely help. The blade and cheeks without the tiller won't be too bad to handle or store. Your boat looks great! I myself am waiting to receive a Viver Youkou Lillie for Christmas or for my birthday (that's one of my favorite boats ever, that and Elorn), but it hasn't happened yet...

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Yes, so many lovely boats, it's hard to know where to start. At the Small Reach Regatta, I had a conversation which says it well. I had just told a fellow participant that I was building a boat. The conversation was roughly thus:

He: what are you building?
    Me: Francois Vivier's "Ilur"
    He: Ilur?? Oh, dude........(long pause, far away look)....Ilur.....(another pause). Man, that Vivier draws some CRAZY beautiful boats!

I couldn't agree more.

Default An Ilur in Vermont

More stuff to do while epoxy cures. I an earlier post, I introduced Scruffy, the Aged Holsclaw. Many hours of stripping, scraping, wirebrushing, and sanding have him a lot less scruffy. I am taking advantage of a stint of spectacular Indian Summer to wheel him out into the sun and get a coat of primer on. Scruffy is looking almost spiffy:

Once this is ready for paint, the trailer body will be painted with Kirby's "Shaw's yellow"; the fenders will be a medium blue.
    Last edited by John hartmann; 08-04-2017 at 06:13 AM.

I'm expecting the hubcaps to be re-chromed of course.

Will Scruffy be re-christened with a nicer name? Looks great! Slap some nice LED lights on there and you're all set.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by photocurio View Post
    I'm expecting the hubcaps to be re-chromed of course.
    An excellent suggestion!

As many of you know, I purchased the kit for this build through Clint Chase. I had the pleasure of his company this summer for four days at the Small Reach Regatta. I tried to let him have a vacation, I promise, but we did have several conversations about the build. One involved the rig, and at Clint's hint, I sent Francois Vivier an e-mail to explore whether he would entertain the thought of designing a new and different rig for me. After reading Clint's description of FV's response to the development of Jewell's sheer line, I wondered if this was a mistake.....I imagined Vivier's mutterings about the Americans obsession with yawls.......but he was quite happy to take on the commision. I received the drawings a couple of days ago:

I think it is a thing of glory. Stuart Hopkins of Dabbler Sails already has the measured drawings, and will be working on the sails over the winter, as I complete the build.
    Last edited by John hartmann; 08-04-2017 at 06:15 AM.

The rig looks great. The sail and oar crowd out in the PNW will be very happy with you! It's a good thing you haven't made the tiller, yet, otherwise it would be good for nothing but kindling. That mizzen kind of gets in the way! Did FV include a new design for a tiller?

Some of the "question mark" (my term) tillers are quite something.

Rich, the mizzen is offset by 7-8 inches, much in the way Iain Oughtred has done on his Tammie Norrie and Penny Fee designs. The tiller is unchanged from the original, and is a typical on center set up.

I think I saw a line on Vivier's site about "those yawl rigs the Americans like so much". I don't think he's that big a fan of the mizzen.

That's interesting--I thought (obviously wrongly) that the luff of a lugsail should be generally parallel to the mast, not canted as this is. Looks great, though.

Edit to say: never mind! At first glance I had thought this was a balance lug, but it's a standing lug, isn't it? Different thing entirely. Are you going to stay boomless the way it's drawn?

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 10-03-2013 at 05:29 PM.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    That's interesting--I thought (obviously wrongly) that the luff of a lugsail should be generally parallel to the mast, not canted as this is. Looks great, though.

Edit to say: never mind! At first glance I had thought this was a balance lug, but it's a standing lug, isn't it? Different thing entirely. Are you going to stay boomless the way it's drawn?

Tom
    It's a great question, Tom. FV specifies a whisker pole for downwind use with his boomless standing lugs to prevent the sail from easily collapsing, and includes those in his planset. I have been talking with Stuart Hopkins and Clint about the new rig--both have suggested a sprit boom set up as an alternative to the whisker pole arrangement. I have absolutely no experience with a boomless sail, and am inclined to heed their advice. Stuart has also suggested that I consider battens like those in Ben Fuller's Ran Tan.

John is the main mast step in the same position as for the standard misainer rig?
    Graeme

It's a great question, Tom. FV specifies a whisker pole for downwind use with his boomless standing lugs to prevent the sail from easily collapsing, and includes those in his planset. I have been talking with Stuart Hopkins and Clint about the new rig--both have suggested a sprit boom set up as an alternative to the whisker pole arrangement. I have absolutely no experience with a boomless sail, and am inclined to heed their advice. Stuart has also suggested that I consider battens like those in Ben Fuller's Ran Tan.
    It looks similar to Ben's Ran-Tan rig in some ways (both pretty high-peaked high-aspect sails), so battens might be worth looking into.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Forrest View Post
    John is the main mast step in the same position as for the standard misainer rig?
    Graeme
    Yes, Graeme, with less rake than FV specifies for the misainer.

Yes, so many lovely boats, it's hard to know where to start. At the Small Reach Regatta, I had a conversation which says it well. I had just told a fellow participant that I was building a boat. The conversation was roughly thus:

He: what are you building?
    Me: Francois Vivier's "Ilur"
    He: Ilur?? Oh, dude........(long pause, far away look)....Ilur.....(another pause). Man, that Vivier draws some CRAZY beautiful boats!

I couldn't agree more.
    I think I've sailed with this guy. An accurate recollection...

The boat (and trailer!) are looking great, John!

Thanks, Jon! The trailer is scruffy no longer--here is the current state of the refit:

One of the shop supervisors is inspecting the work. Actually, he's hoping I'll get bored with this and take him out to work with the sheep.....
    Last edited by John hartmann; 08-04-2017 at 06:33 AM.

Thanks, Jon! The trailer is scruffy no longer--here is the current state of the refit:http://

One of the shop supervisors is inspecting the work. Actually, he's hoping I'll get bored with this and take him out to work with the sheep.....

Whoops, sorry for that double post.....now everyone knows I work for the Department of Redundancy Department......

Ok thanks John, think I might send a query to Francois re obtaining drawings for that rig (already have Ilur under construction, at current progress about 12mths from completion).

Graeme, that's great! Are you building from the kit, as I am, or from plans? I am shooting for a launch by our springtime in New England, so 7-8 months from now...you must be significantly into your project. With spring arriving in your corner of the world, there may be plenty of distractions outside of the shop, though. We are headed into the long dark season here, a great excuse to set sights on progress with dusty indoor pursuits like building spars and finishing the interior furniture of my Ilur.

Thanks, Jon! The trailer is scruffy no longer--here is the current state of the refit:http://[IMG]http://i1166.photobucket....jpg[/IMG]

Looks to me like the dog wants to know when he's going to get a ride on that thing!

I like that trailer because it will be useful for more than just the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Looks to me like the dog wants to know when he's going to get a ride on that thing!

This is what was going on "off camera" in the first picture, Rich.....these guys are loving companions, but seriously obsessive about farm work. The rule is that whoever gets to the gate first has "dibs" ( at least in the dogs minds) on whatever chores might be needing done.

Yes, Photocurio, a multi-purpose trailer is a very useful thing to have around!
    Last edited by John hartmann; 08-04-2017 at 06:28 AM.

I have just read the whole thread. That kit is quite an eye opener, im seriously considering that getting most of the interior fitted and finished and used as a framework may be the way to go with Mariette at some point. You are going to have one lovely boat when you have finished. Thanks for sharing.

I've got to use one trailer for two boats and the bunks, when set up for one, won't fit the other. So, I made a 5'x8' flat-bed trailer out of it. Simple enough to strap either boat on it or just use it to make a lumberyard-run for plywood, lumber, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I have just read the whole thread. That kit is quite an eye opener, im seriously considering that getting most of the interior fitted and finished and used as a framework may be the way to go with Mariette at some point. You are going to have one lovely boat when you have finished. Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you for the kind words; there is still a great deal to do to get her ready for water by spring. I think FV's ability to combine the bulkheads and sawn frames into the building jig was a stroke of genius....I believe he is trained both as an engineer as well a a naval architect.....how fortunate the boating community is to have someone with that skill set also have a passion for beautiful, traditionally inspired sailboats.

John I am building from scratch not a kit. I have used the Beg Meil centrecase and board shape but with a wooden board instead of steel, and the interior will have a single rowing thwart instead of 2. I figured the boat was primarily a sailing boat and would probably use the 2hp Honda ob I already have as an auxilary rather than rowing, and this arrangement gives more interior room. My plans predate the kit's plywood frames and specify steambent or laminated frames.About the time I turned the boat over I saw the details of the kit with the plywood frames on FV website and copied this system although I had used temp. molds during planking. I received pdf's of the lug yawl sailplan last evening from Francois and at this stage I am fairly sure I will use this rig (had planed to use the misainier and switching to the balanced lug if the swapping the sheet from side to side proved too much hassle. The mention of a sprit boom above is interesting but initially I will stick to the boomless sail).

Graeme, that sounds like a really neat interior arrangement--there are pictures of the first Beg Meil, named Pepito, on FV's site, and it has the interior just as you describe. Without the decks, and with only the one thwart, yours will seem like a really roomy boat. Since you are going to use it primarily for sail, will you extend side seats forward of the center thwart, or just leave it open?

I intend to leave it open ahead of the thwart, the side seats will join onto the thwart. the aft and 2 fwd bouyancy compartments will be watertight storage compartments instead of the open foam filled spaces as shown on FV plans (aparently an EU, or French gov. requirement). An additional reason for the Beg Mail centreboard arrangement is the hope that in the event of swamping the open top of the case will be above water level, which I doubt would be the case with the standard Ilur centrecase design.
    Last edited by Graeme Forrest; 10-07-2013 at 01:54 AM.

That sounds like a good idea, Graeme. Having to open up an air-tight flotation/storage compartment to fetch the neatly stowed plug for stuffing the CB case so that you could bail would be counter productive. The kit has limber holes in transverse as well as longitudinal bulkheads, so I will be using foam flotation. I will also be installing a below floor bilge pump of some sort, probably set up to discharge through the CB case, though I will leave sorting that out for later in the build.

http://

It is sanding purgatory. There is very much less of this with a glued lap hull than there was for the cedar strip skiff, despite the fact that this hull is dramatically larger than the little double ender. Still, I will be glad to get the first coat of primer on, hopefully tomorrow or the day after....