Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 89

Thread: Reuel Parker's Sea Bright 33

Default Re: Reuel Parker's Sea Bright 33

When you think about how the construction transitions up forward (amidships) these are the logical conclusions.

In rolled garboard construction the first two planks back aft that form the sides of the box and the next plank (tuck) are the regular garboard and broad up forward. So trying to get the tuck to sit on top of the garboard (side of the box) would be a messy transition.

Likewise in boxed garboard construction, the garboard up foreard is also the tuck plank aft. So going from the garboard more or less on top of the bottom boards up forward, to next to the sides of the box aft would also be a messy transition.

This is essentially stitch and goo construction. The ply and the glass making a composite structure. I am not sure what all the discussion is about, should be straight forward, or am I missing something.
    Certainly the whole thing will have to be strong, to stand up to grounding, which is one of the features of this boat.

Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    This is essentially stitch and goo construction. The ply and the glass making a composite structure. I am not sure what all the discussion is about, should be straight forward, or am I missing something.
    Certainly the whole thing will have to be strong, to stand up to grounding, which is one of the features of this boat.
    I was looking at the plan cross section and seeing the way the box side and the garboard plank meet with a mitered joint, that just seems excessively difficult. That doesn’t matter if it is stitch & glue or plank construction.

I believe there is a lapped on batten option too, but perhaps that is just for the above waterline planking? How is it shown on the plans, just one option?

I am doing the boat batten seam, but there is no batten where the box keel meets the garboard.

I cut two garboard planks yesterday, not too bad but I haven't tried to fit the box keel sides yet so.... It was tricky to mark the contour of the box keel sides; running a pencil and gauge along the garboard. But yes, that beveled joint gets layered with biaxial tape and epoxy before the whole boat gets covered in xynole and epoxy so perfection is not called for. Tis boat is right at the limits of my skills and because the directions are not always detailed, I have to come up with my own methods, many which are work-arounds. That part is sort of fun. For instance, the plans call for a single layer of 1 inch ply for the bottom, but I am doing 2 layers of 5/8 (staggered joints, no scarfing) which makes a slightly beefier bottom and a better corner where it meets the sides of the box keel. The second layer will cover the edge of box keel sides.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Im surprised the bottom is only an inch. I confess i use mostly Atkin based scantlings because i have those at hand, but i was looking at 3 layers of 1in. What was the ballast arrangement, all internal?

Yes the ballast is internal, 2000 lbs. Maybe I'll triple it!
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Many of the Atkin boats have bottoms up to around 3in up to 28ft, some with laminated layers, others from a single bit of 3in Greenheart!. Those with suggested inside ballast, in some cases, the plans were later ammended to suggest fitting outside ballast. I will have a 2in casting placed inside a 2 layer keel shoe, that might get fitted after the rest of the boat is built on a 1 in bottom, to ease turning, maybe....still pondering. Im sure the 1in is thick enough and expect Parker suggests a fair amount of glass armour on the base?

IMG_1013.jpg Just testing to see if I am capable of posting pictures. This is Hurricane damage on Crooked Island Bahamas two years ago. Lets see if it works.

Okay now I can take some pics of the boat building process. Watch this space...

Excellent! There was i thinking you might need to shovel out some sand before you get started....