Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 910

Thread: Reuel Parker's Sea Bright 33

Default Re: Reuel Parker's Sea Bright 33

Congratulations…….. !!!
    My dad used to build or rebuild boats continuously. We boys helped as we could. It turned out that we turned over 4 boats on February 2nd, different years and different boats. When the world is celebrating Groundhog Day (all over again) our family celebrates boat-turn-over-day.

If you hadn't spent all that time thinking the job through,it might not have gone so smoothly.I expect the rest of the build will be similarly considered and look forward to the post about the launching.Whenever that may be.

Woo hoo!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I'm glassing the inside keel to garboard plank now, super hot here, epoxy goes off fast! 108 in the hoop house yesterday (I wasn't working in there then) Using 6 inch biaxial tape with mat on one side, stiff and a bit challenging to wet out, but coming out well.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    If you hadn't spent all that time thinking the job through,it might not have gone so smoothly.I expect the rest of the build will be similarly considered and look forward to the post about the launching.Whenever that may be.

Thank you for your kind words and to all here who have advised me.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Considering putting an outboard in a well, the simplest way would be an outboard small enough that it could be stowed in the cockpit and dropped in when needed. So for handiness a 6 hp would be nice, but would it be enough top push the boat or do I need a 9.9? A 9.9 is almost 100 lbs and I'd probably need to devise a sliding transom to raise and lower it, and when raised it would stick up above the deck. Or should I be a real man and just build a sculling oar?

any ideas?

You need to be able to quickly start the motor when things go bad, such as sails ripping or people falling overboard.

I could leave it in but it will slow the boat, but I expect not too much, I think the hull is pretty slippery. But I don't know if relying on a motor is such a good safety plan, they tend to fail when you need them most.

I'm thinking of building the cabin about 3 inches lower, my reasoning being that since it really only had standing headroom (I'm 6 ft) under the hatch I would be stooping a bit going forward anyway and when the hatch is open i'll have unlimited headroom. I think it will look better and provide a better view forward from the cockpit as well as reduce windage a bit. Still plenty of sitting headroom.

Is there an Ideal ceiling heigh in a boat w/o standing headroom?

Opinions? Cautions?

Ideal sitting headroom anyone?

Bolger used 36". I've measured and found that tight, and it does not allow for a cushion. From hard surface to the overhead, I like 42". That allows room for a comfortable cushion or mattress (3") and doesn't feel cramped. At least for me, at 5'9". Keep in mind, here, that sitting height does not increase equally with standing height.
    -Dave

Thanks, we are about the same height so that helps. I may mock up the cabin sides and the settee to see how it feels

I just fitted my first deck beam and have the second one cut and ready to scribe

I am mocking up the cabin sides in Luan ply and I have a question: The plans show a slight curve to the cabin sides along the top but when I lay a straight edge along the crown of the deck it is straight. Why is this? Obviously the base of the cabin sides conform to the curve of the deck but do the tops get cut with a slight downward curve towards the middle. It looks like about an inch. But if that were the case wouldn't the deck have a bit of swayback then?

Puzzled....

If I understand the question correctly it's a geometry thing. If the cabintop has a constant curve -- if it's a section of a cylinder -- then as it gets wider you'll be creating a bigger section of that cylinder, and therefore the edges will extend down farther when viewed from the side. If the cabin sides curve out from the bows and then back in toward the cockpit, that outer top edge of the sides will have to curve downward to meet the wider, lower sections of the cabintop without forcing it out of shape.

Is this going in the right direction? It's easiest to see these effects by making paper mockups with exaggerated shapes.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    If I understand the question correctly it's a geometry thing. If the cabintop has a constant curve -- if it's a section of a cylinder -- then as it gets wider you'll be creating a bigger section of that cylinder, and therefore the edges will extend down farther when viewed from the side. If the cabin sides curve out from the bows and then back in toward the cockpit, that outer top edge of the sides will have to curve downward to meet the wider, lower sections of the cabintop without forcing it out of shape.

Is this going in the right direction? It's easiest to see these effects by making paper mockups with exaggerated shapes.

Thanks, That is a good idea. I wonder if the curve in the cabin shear is also done for aesthetic reasons.

Another issue I have is finding any decent 3/4 ply for the sides. I was going to use MDO but it's scarce as is regular Fir marine ply. If I drive 3 hours to Ohio I can get Meranti for $150/sheet. At that price I really can't afford mistakes

It does look better aesthetically, too, no question about that. But the curve is necessary make the parts fit neatly.

Have you checked with Harbor Sales https://harborsales.net/Home.aspx Their prices are good, and if you're in their delivery area there's no charge for shipping. They do carry materials not on their website, too, so it pays to give them a call.
    -Dave

Menards here stocks 3/4 marine ply.
    Got one nearby?

Quote Originally Posted by timo4352 View Post
    Menards here stocks 3/4 marine ply.
    Got one nearby?

Thanks I'll check into it

I'm surprised how little activity there is in the Design area here on Woodenboat these days. Seems like a few years ago there was lots more.(?)

I managed to find some 3/4 MDO for the cabin sides, about $100 per sheet. Nice stuff, but not easy to bend even when ripped down to 24"