Page 3 of 114 FirstFirst ... 2341353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Some motorbikes just look right

Default Re: Some motorbikes just look right

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    Seen one Brit vertical twin of a given era, you've seen 'em all.
    Might as well post a pic of an early seventies honda. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Lew - I used to think I liked you.

Though I will say that the owner of the local Ducati dealership flew past me on one of these:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Might as well post a pic of an early seventies honda. . .
    You too.

Tbbbttthhh to Lew & Paul:

Board track bike.

I knew that - but...no clutch?
    Once upon a time I had a motor-bicycle made out of bits and pieces. I had to run along beside it to start it and then jump on. It had no brakes, clutch or transmision. At least with this Indian you could sit on it and crank the pedals untill it started?
    Do you think it's a 500cc Junior Scout, Lew? I almost bought one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    You too.
    is this redemption enough?

here's an odd collection. . .

Yup - still rankled with that Barrett character though...

4 Bimmers & a Matchless? It kinda fits though - cool bunch of bikes.

Yup - still rankled with that Barrett character though...
    Viewed by the critical eye, Garret, you'll see that they all look alike, run alike and are alike!
    I still like you (a great deal, even!), and also Paul's Rickman mutt. Those nickel plated frames get me every time.

The Panigale has not met with racing success, but it is a piece.

Jake, I don't know what that is apart from board track, not my specialty. Indian's a good guess, but I think it would displace more than 500cc.
    Board track: you push them to start, and when they stop, it's over! Somewhere I read it was the crashingest racing ever, and it is hard to imagine actually riding them. Closets thing to a modern board tracker:

Methanol.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 07-06-2013 at 11:30 PM.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

The bikes? Ugly as sin but perfected for their task. Jawa, accept no substitute.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 07-06-2013 at 11:26 PM.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

I've never liked the Valkyrie either. Have you seen Honda's new 'bagger' Gold Wing? I have yet to see one in Hell, even though many many 'normal' Wings come through of every vintage. . .
    I haven't seen one on the road. Looks like a tough sell to me.

Yup, a Ducati's just like an MV Agusta too!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Friends of mine are doing a North India tour at the moment... on Royal Enfields.

Som is enjoying her 500

You have interesting friends.

Yup, a Ducati's just like an MV Agusta too!
    Will the true Ferrari of motorcycles please stand up? That Tamburini guy never could draw worth a lick!

That board track bike in #56 is the epitome of elegant simplicity. Very handsome!

Nothing looks righter to me than a '69 Bonneville.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    That board track bike in #56 is the epitome of elegant simplicity. Very handsome!

Although looks can be deceiving.

When you visit Barber* there are two Indian Factory Board Trackers displayed side by side, one restored, one in its original patina. The plaques on the each of them are revealing. At the bottom of each plaque it says, "one, of only two known to exist."

* I remain amazed that Barber exists in Alabama of all places. I've visited many motorsport museum around the world, including The Henry Ford, The Auburn Cord Museum, The Porsche Museum and factory, and the mercedes Museum and have never seen anything that approaches Barber in terms of scale, breadth and quality of each individual bike.

Although looks can be deceiving.
    LOL iii

Beautifully understated.

Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Will the true Ferrari of motorcycles please stand up? That Tamburini guy never could draw worth a lick!
    See?

When you visit Barber* there are two Indian Factory Board Trackers displayed side by side, one restored, one in its original patina. The plaques on the each of them are revealing. At the bottom of each plaque it says, "one, of only two known to exist."

* I remain amazed that Barber exists in Alabama of all places. I've visited many motorsport museum around the world, including The Henry Ford, The Auburn Cord Museum, The Porsche Museum and factory, and the mercedes Museum and have never seen anything that approaches Barber in terms of scale, breadth and quality of each individual bike.
    Agreed, it's a complete experience. Overwhelming. Another crappy iPhone pic. The two in the front are both Indians.

Regarding late '60s Meridian Triumphs I've said (redundantly) that I worked for a Triumph dealer in the mid-mod sixties. All of the cost issues, ancient tooling and generally poor quality control had made themselves felt by then, even if the basics of the machines remained emotionally satisfying. Brand new motorcycles failed to start, leaked oil, vibrated parts off as a normal function of the designs, required a great deal of set up and generally were outperformed in almost every way except handling by much smaller Japanese models. A Triumph, BSA or Norton was still a desirable motorcycle and I wanted nothing more than a T120 at that time, but in my head I felt that if quality and durability entered into the picture, I would be better off buying a Honda, Yamaha or a BMW. For me, especially a BMW.

A short list of defects we encountered isn't possible because almost every bike had some. They blew out and vibrated their bulbs to death with clock-like regularity, charging systems failed, cables stretched immediately, adjustments were imprecise, cases/mating surfaces weeped, tachs and speedos jumped around like they had the DTs. Of course, color choices were delicious, ergonomics were sensible (but that was true as a rule of all the consumer models of the time) , they were easy to work on due to their simplicity and access, they handle pleasantly or even very well depending on the state of their components, had fork gaitors and full fenders, looked and sounded like motorcycles were supposed to do and had that pleasant gruntiness lacking in the small Japanese models.

Like everyone else, I enjoy seeing and hearing them, and a well restored one is a pretty thing, but they reflect their thirties technology and almost universally poor build quality and as it is with wooden boats, they are......"a labor of love." True, they are simple, light, easy to work on, produce waves of nostalgia and can be enjoyable to ride as long as you take it easy and don't mind their shortcomings, of which vibration is the worst. There's a lot of Norton love here, but they are not exempt from any of these criticisms, except that the Isolastic models feel better in respect to vibes when working properly, though amongst our mechanics, Nortons were considered the most problematic at the time, that is in the era of the Atlas.

Kudos to John Bloor and Triumph for leadership in revitalizing the great marque with some of the most competitive rider's machines that have ever come out of Britain. Triumph-Villiers final output however reflects what happens when industries fail to revitalize, reinvest and innovate and set common management/labor goals.

Not necessarily 'beautiful'; but definitely a very good looking bike to my eye. Upon seeing one for the first time, it immediately changed my view of what could be done with a motorcycle. Pure genius.

of course ian won't like it due to the three spoke wheels. . .
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 07-07-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Visionary.....

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Visionary.....

That reminds me.....

Like unto the Lavs of The Mead and Tomkinson....

Or Later - and a commercial flop..

I'm sorry Ian, The bike that kicked off this thread looks as ugly as sin and just as dangerous. Why in the seven shades of hell would anyone want to do that to an unsuspecting Beemer.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Like unto the Lavs of The Mead and Tomkinson....

Or Later - and a commercial flop..
    Complicated problems usually have simple solutions - which are almost always wrong.

Hub center steering is something I have never experienced. It seems.......complicated, so conjuring the motto of a sage....maybe it works. Looks like a lot of metal to me. Separating the steering from the other stuff seems like a good idea........
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 07-07-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Viewed by the critical eye, Garret, you'll see that they all look alike, run alike and are alike!
    I still like you (a great deal, even!), and also Paul's Rickman mutt. Those nickel plated frames get me every time.

The Panigale has not met with racing success, but it is a piece.

Jake, I don't know what that is apart from board track, not my specialty. Indian's a good guess, but I think it would displace more than 500cc.
    Board track: you push them to start, and when they stop, it's over! Somewhere I read it was the crashingest racing ever, and it is hard to imagine actually riding them. Closets thing to a modern board tracker:

Methanol.
    To go faster on a speedway bike...back off on the throttle until the back wheel bites. To slow the bike (no brakes)...screw the throttle wide open to break traction. This is done while the front wheel is in the air.
    Bike racing for lunatics.
    For those who've come across the seas
    We've boundless plains to share;

I refer you to the reply given in the matter of Arkell v. Pressdram.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieBarney View Post
    I'm sorry Ian, The bike that kicked off this thread looks as ugly as sin and just as dangerous. Why in the seven shades of hell would anyone want to do that to an unsuspecting Beemer.
    Nothing but a bit of fun. I'm not sure about the vintage of the frame... my guess would be mid 50's, but the forks are definitely older than that (in design, at least).... and the engine would be mid 70's.

I doubt it gets used for anything other than the occasional day ride.

That's the fun of bikes. The equivalent "bit of fun" car takes a lot more work, a lot more money... and ties up a lot of space. Folks with bikes like this tend to have a garage full of bikes. Sunday morning rides become a nice choice. Which one will I take today? Put it on historic plates and rego is cheap (call it $50 a year). I'm trying to rationalise my collection a tad... I'll keep the '38 Norton, '47 Beeza, '74 R90S, '84 MZ, '85 XL250R, maybe the '94 Funduro, and the pair of KTMs ('05 and '07).... oh, and the near new Yammie Fino. I'll probable do something with one of the oldest postie bikes too... if I can find an electric start Lifan engine. All of those are less effort than my one fun car, the M5.

I'm decluttering cars at present. A couple of V8 Mercedes are being sold (got plenty of nibbles on the weekend)... and the Jensen is next. Cleared one BM a couple of months ago. Hey Barney.... you'd look good in a Jensen. Great tow car.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Anyone for a Chinese sports bike? Oops... I mean a Benelli?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Complicated problems usually have simple solutions - which are almost always wrong.

Hub center steering is something I have never experienced. It seems.......complicated, so conjuring the motto of a sage....maybe it works. Looks like a lot of metal to me. Separating the steering from the other stuff seems like a good idea........

The only HCS bike I've ever ridden was a Ner-A-Car

A bike afflicted by so much weirdness that I didn't really notice the steering.

OK, something that looks right