Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 1231252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Some motorbikes just look right

Default Re: Some motorbikes just look right

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    yes. . .

The MV motors of that era with their beautiful castings are works of art.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

To me, this is about as "right" as a motorbike can look. I really like this era of Harley

Similar era on the MV. This is my friend Al's museum

I'd love to talk him into letting me ride his Manx

or one of his Vincent creations

.... and somewhere, I know, I have a decent shot of some earlier MV Augusta castings... but I can't see it.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Not quite a motorbike, but their thinking in building them is right... a mate just loaned me his (older 6 cylinder) BMW M3 so that I could take it for a bit of a run tomorrow. 350 km or so, up to Newcastle and back. I'll go up the freeway, but might just be temped to come back via the old highway.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    ...I really like this era of Harley...
    You could push me over with a feather...

.... and somewhere, I know, I have a decent shot of some earlier MV Augusta castings... but I can't see it.

Some motorbikes just look right
    yes. . .

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

one of my fav bikes i've had

put 60,000 miles on it in one year

yes. . .

I always thought the 851 and 888 were far better looking than the 916 onwards watercooled Ducatis. I like the white frame on the 851 but the 888 SP5 was the pinnacle.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    I had a Norton Fastback too, about 12 years ago. I put Dunstall pipes on it.

When it ran, it was glorious.

Sold it to buy a 1981 Fiat Spider 2000 LE. MUCH better.
    I just have to top that. I have my 1970 Commando (though not a fastback - but Dunstall tank & pipes) and a 1980 Fiat Spider.

I posted a pic of a fastback on the cafe racer thread. Sure is a pretty bike.

Saturno, probably Gilera's most successful bike. This is an early one. Looks almost perfect to me even with the girder fork.

This should probably go in the cafe thread, but what a sweetie. The guy built this 500/4 for about $2000 including buying the bike! Very simple, nothing fancy and not so sure how I feel about the blue, but the paint job is a bit better in person. What you can do with time and little money. He did everything himself including polishing the cases and top end rebuild (IIRC).

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    Pity you didn't have your Canon with you. . .

We should meet there some cool October for the week long vintage festival Mr. Barber hosts each year.

We'll each need something old to ride.

Indian's eight valve board tracker, damn fine looking motorbike!

Some motorbikes just look right - as the two-tone twin in the background..

shame about the front disc & chrome.. ;-)

enjoy
    bobby

And now- the legendary bacon slicer....

Cannot be imagined in pale green
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

I'd ride it. . .

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    And now- the legendary bacon slicer....

Cannot be imagined in pale green

There is a Falcone on display at the local Guzzi dealership. About the same vintage as this one, that is a later bike. The few I've seen have all been red.

I'd ride it. . .

Hope you are in no hurry!

Pity you didn't have your Canon with you. . .

We should meet there some cool October for the week long vintage festival Mr. Barber hosts each year.

We'll each need something old to ride.
    I'd not forget the Canon the next time. I'm game; couple a trip to Nashville, tied into their event, and shop for old bikes locally Although I suspect Barber has cleaned out the easy to find ones in Alabama.

my philosophy is, what you can't see when sitting on it doesn't count

I just had a chat to an old bloke standing beside the road with his 1956 Ariel Square Four - waiting to meet some other guys for a nice winter day ride. He's owned it 50 years. I've got some photos which I'll upload later.

What a great stand, is there no clutch or transmision?

1956 Ariel Square Four. The mufflers aren't original....

This has turned into an another antique motorcycle parade. Let's break that up.

Last edited by Lew Barrett; 07-06-2013 at 02:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    What a great stand, is there no clutch or transmision?

Board track bike.

Don't want antiques? OK... how about Martin's Africa Twin? I'm pretty sure they didn't sell them here, but there's a few around. This one's in Chiang Mai. He'd bought it a couple of days before, but hit an oil slick on the way home... not too much damage, all fixed by now. Note the coppers doing helmet checks in the background btw

Don't want antiques? OK... how about Martin's Africa Twin?
    Good bike, not about pretty though. I've nothing against antiques but this thread has taken a turn.
    Here's pretty in a modern bike (could argue how modern, but built in the last ten years, anyway!).

A lot of lipstick, you could say. Best pic I could find on the fly, it's better full side on. I had a naked version of this, V11Sport.

I think its more about looking good than looking pretty. I don't like the side view of the 916 btw. Front on, they are nice - but that 3-spoke wheel is vile.

Funnily enough, I saw one of these, the Honda Valkyrie, in Hanoi a few years ago... and thought it looked good

Too much for me. A refugee from the Cult of the Wing, but Honda gets an E for Effort with that. Not my style and I'm not that open minded.

The forged Marchesinis are better no doubt, but the swingarm design on that bike is genius. Best chain adjuster in the business too. Completely accurate and easy, no alignment issues. Ian, the bike's an icon and set the trends going forward, so like it or lump it. it's probably the most influential design of the last twenty years as far as sports bikes are concerned.

Off to bed for me. 'Nite!

what the hell, I reckon this twenty year old is a good looker:

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Board track bike.
    In case that doesn't 'splain it fully - they were just like velodrome bicycles - get her moving & get her going. Note the brakes (or lack of) as well.

Too much for me. A refugee from the Cult of the Wing, but Honda gets an E for Effort with that. Not my style and I'm not that open minded.
    I've never liked the Valkyrie either. Have you seen Honda's new 'bagger' Gold Wing? I have yet to see one in Hell, even though many many 'normal' Wings come through of every vintage. . .

Wouldn't want a Valkyrie... but the one I saw in the traffic definitely looked good. Maybe the wall to wall scooters made it look better

not a vintage Triumph in sight?

Quote Originally Posted by Boater14 View Post
    not a vintage Triumph in sight?
    What vintage are you looking for? Seen one Brit vertical twin of a given era, you've seen 'em all. If it's a BSA, it may have some chrome on the tank, if it's a Norton it will not be a unit gearbox, if it's a Royal Enfield it will not be in running condition, if it's a Matchless....well, you don't see many of those over here.