BSA V twin?
    Xanthorrea

Default Re: Some motorbikes just look right

The tank looks Empire Star.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by donald branscom View Post
    Was this a aluminum frame or steel frame?
    Fairly sure its steel.

Meanwhile.... I've refused to rent bikes to some of the nongs who come in. This lot got some nice tattoos from Thailand

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Fairly sure its steel.

Meanwhile.... I've refused to rent bikes to some of the nongs who come in. This lot got some nice tattoos from Thailand

when you fall off a horse...
    "I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible that you may be mistaken." (stolen from TomF )

I might want to ride this one.

3E6194FE-D9D4-4BE5-805F-641AFEE6AFDF.jpg
    A pictures is worth a thousand words but a challenging meme stumps the ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    I might want to ride this one.
    Maybe not at night?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Interesting bike.........

Meanwhile, I saw a Mobylette today

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Waow ! This mobylette is probably from the sixties !
    Gerard.
    SCHOONER FOR EVER, GOELETTE A PERPETE

http://www.goelette-anthea.fr

Quote Originally Posted by Rapelapente View Post
    Waow ! This mobylette is probably from the sixties !
    Well, they did have a bit of old gear there. I'd love to have raided some of it for my bar.....

I'm just back from a two-day ride up to Cave Lodge, north of Pai, with an eclectic group. One of the guys, an editor of an adventure motorcycling magazine described today's run back as the best ride of his life.

This was early in the day, today

Pulled up at some hot springs yesterday, after a hard run down a mountain range. I finally managed to boil the brake fluid on the Ducati... and Trevor, who is an excellent rider (and former road racer) did me in on his CBR 300 on the run down. He's very smooth....

Paul... on one of my bikes (Honda CRF250)... and in my boots (after busting his ankle a while back on another ride)

The orange bike is one of mine too. I loaned it to Stephanie, who is doing the digital nomad thing here. She's ridden her Vespa through Canada, the US and Mexico... and done an expedition through Pakistan.

Paul described yesterday and today as each being the equivalent of 20 "Tail of the Dragon" rides end to end, with virtually no traffic (or cops for that matter).

I had both my 500F Hondas going out on a five day ride with an American couple today... and one had a battery failure - 6 volts isn't a flat battery, it's a dead battery. So, whilst ducking over to grab a battery (about a 1km return journey), I grabbed a new (second hand, low mileage) bike.... just in case they were in a hurry and didn't want to wait for the battery to go in. As it is, they chose to wait, as they wanted identical bikes, so he could relate to what she was experiencing on the road.

Here's Tum, trying out the new one. She's frowning with the sun in her eyes... and a stubbed toe. She's going to lose the big toenail. Ugh.

Speaking of Mobylette:

Those 500X seem to have an amazing fuel economy, does that stand up in the real world out there?

One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    I guess so! Quite a selection.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Dibs on the speedway bike!

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Those 500X seem to have an amazing fuel economy, does that stand up in the real world out there?
    I believe that they are OK. I've only done low kilometres on my 500Fs (same bike basically - except for plastics and seat and maybe a bit of difference in the suspension - I will check on that though) - and the only ride on this one was around to my local massage lady... sans helmet, and wearing flip flops. I've already decided to try and find a new seat base, so I can raise it enough to make it comfortable for me on a longer ride. I need to retain the standard seat for customers.

I believe that they are OK. I've only done low kilometres on my 500Fs (same bike basically - except for plastics and seat and maybe a bit of difference in the suspension - I will check on that though) - and the only ride on this one was around to my local massage lady... sans helmet, and wearing flip flops. I've already decided to try and find a new seat base, so I can raise it enough to make it comfortable for me on a longer ride. I need to retain the standard seat for customers.
    I think the X might have a longer swing arm and a bit more suspension travel. Im surprised the 500f is almost as heavy as my 650 Revere, i was hoping it could be a lighter alternative, but the difference is negliable and the extra weight of the shaft, for me, is worth having. The shims are a bit more hassle to work on than screw and locknut tappets too.
    Im hearing the aftermarket care for when things have gone wrong with KTM has been a bit dire in the UK and Europe, im wondering if that is the reason for a large amount of 390 Dukes being availiable?

I like those CB300s, its a pity there was a recall on those, some engine/oiling issue i believe? Super economy.
    Last edited by skaraborgcraft; 01-13-2019 at 04:26 AM.

Enfield 650 Interceptor

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I think the X might have a longer swing arm and a bit more suspension travel. Im surprised the 500f is almost as heavy as my 650 Revere, i was hoping it could be a lighter alternative, but the difference is negliable and the extra weight of the shaft, for me, is worth having. The shims are a bit more hassle to work on than screw and locknut tappets too.
    Im hearing the aftermarket care for when things have gone wrong with KTM has been a bit dire in the UK and Europe, im wondering if that is the reason for a large amount of 390 Dukes being availiable?

I like those CB300s, its a pity there was a recall on those, some engine/oiling issue i believe? Super economy.
    I haven't heard about anything with KTM... but maybe that's what is delaying the 390 Adventure? The CBR300 had a crankshaft issue.... and Honda had to replace a LOT of cranks.

Re economy... I rode the 500X over to Roddy Lorimer's gig this afternoon and scrolled through the dash. It has 15,000 km on it and the long term average fuel consumption is 38km / litre. My Ducati uses twice that... at 19 km / litre. IIRC, the Click is at about 46 and I've managed to lower the Forza from 34 to 33 point something since I've owned it. It's a 300 and the Click is a 150. I will actively seek out a new seat base for the 500X... as it would make a great bike for Tum and I... if I could get a better leg angle for me. She's asking me to stop buying bikes..... but I've only got 25 here....

For the older enthusiasts
    The speedo is reading MPH!

There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    For the older enthusiasts
    The speedo is reading MPH!

Nice one. I couldn't hear what he was saying at the start (will catch that later)... but that thing sure motors.

My desmo has a cutout at about 9,500... and he's revving to about 5,000 more than that. Cornering in first gear at over 80mph.

Re economy... I rode the 500X over to Roddy Lorimer's gig this afternoon and scrolled through the dash. It has 15,000 km on it and the long term average fuel consumption is 38km / litre. . She's asking me to stop buying bikes..... but I've only got 25 here....
    38km/l is 107 mpg imperial or 89mpg US gallon. I was hearing 88mpg as an average, very frugal. Yeah, some ladies are like that........

Two of Honda's barges. My Forza and a mate's Gold Wing...

... and now for something completely different....

some vintage....

... more than a fistful of knuckles in this shot

Open camshaft on a bike! Never seen that before. That "wing" is scary looking with all those buttons and switch gear.

whatever rocks your boat

Anyway the above brand new Pani is in my garage nestled in front of the wood rack looking "just right", twas a present from Santa and I can tell ya its a beast I put some Akra's on it to make sure going out on it is a neighbourhood event, just kidding but there is nothing sweeter that a big L twin except maybe a Desmosedici.
    whatever rocks your boat

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
    Sweet. 205hp, eh? Nothing like a bit of power to put a smile on your face.

holy moley

If I want to shoot my eye out. 221 hp at 15250 rpm.

Winglets on the 2019 Ducati Panigale V4 R produce 66 pounds of downforce at 168 mph.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 01-19-2019 at 12:32 AM.
    A pictures is worth a thousand words but a challenging meme stumps the ignorant.

I think I need to upgrade
    whatever rocks your boat