Page 11 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1011122161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Some motorbikes just look right

Default Re: Some motorbikes just look right

It's not as fancy as some if these, but it's mine. 1979 Honda CX 500

Looks right to me, too, Jim.

Steven

Nice.... but sheesh those indicators are big.

I like the British LED ones I put on the Super Enduro. Tiny, but punch well above their weight. Here they are... the two little silver diamonds above the headlights.

Hardly visible from the front... unless flashing

There's an argument to suggest that they should be separated a bit more from the headlights, but they are that bright that it hasn't been a problem. Rear blinkers are more problematic... I lost about four different types off the back end of the bike. I've got some ideas on fixing that problem, but it will have to wait a while
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Here's the one I'm lusting after this week.

Be a fun build and fun to ride.

Here's the same bike different tank.

http://carduccidualsport.com/

Jim
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

One more Video.

-Jim

Looks like fun. Would need to keep an eye on that chain guide, methinks. 475 lbs dry is far too heavy... That's 216 kg.... 31kg more than my too heavy KTM. Its not so much the picking it up the first time that's a problem... its if its down a bank, or when you have to pick it up the third time... or the fifth.... or... and you've had to unload and reload it each time. Too heavy.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Seems like most of the big dual sports fall into the too heavy category though, even a 650 gs is coming in at 425 ish wet. It the price every big bike pays to one extent or another. My dad and I were talking about this today, we'd both like to add a dual sport to the stable. He'd like something more trail oriented, in the 250 range, but then it lacks top end for getting down the highway. I'm seriously looking at the 650gs, but I still think that sporty would be cool. I'm not sure I want to be waiting that long to be out on the trail, while building a bike though.
    -Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    Seems like most of the big dual sports fall into the too heavy category though, even a 650 gs is coming in at 425 ish wet.
    wonder if anybody's ever drowned, trapped under their big adventure bike which they dropped in say two feet of water crossing a stream. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Almost happened to my dad's cousin. Lost it crossing a stream and got pinned, dad had to help him hold his head out of the water while they got the bike off. It's a dangerous world out there. It would be harder to get pinned if the bike is geared up for travel and has engine guards. They were just trail riding with bare bikes.
    -Jim

Seems like most of the big dual sports fall into the too heavy category though, even a 650 gs is coming in at 425 ish wet. It the price every big bike pays to one extent or another. My dad and I were talking about this today, we'd both like to add a dual sport to the stable. He'd like something more trail oriented, in the 250 range, but then it lacks top end for getting down the highway. I'm seriously looking at the 650gs, but I still think that sporty would be cool. I'm not sure I want to be waiting that long to be out on the trail, while building a bike though.
    Yep, and even KTM has drunk the Long Way Round koolaid. They've gone to an 1190 with their Adventure now. The same weight as that Harley special of yours there. Silly stuff. I started off on my trip with a bike that was probably 40kg lighter than that... after I stripped it down... and even then it was too heavy in the rough stuff.

My 525 has been "adventurised" but its not really a dual sport. Its comfortable on road at 95kph (just under 60mph)... is capable of much faster (haven't got a clue of Vmax, but it has to be north of 100mph), but that's just flogging it. I blew up my 250 Honda trying to sustain 115 kph on the open road.

A 250 just isn't up to it for serious distance... on road or in the rough stuff (with a few changes of clothes and some spares, etc on board). I'd happily ride the 525 from here to the top of Australia... on the dirt, but not on the highway. Then again, slabbing it just doesn't interest me. Given I mentioned MacGregor and Boorman, did you know that Long Way Round was apparently done 90% on the tar, 9% dirt and 1% off road. Ughh.

I'd give away another 5kg, maybe 10 to add some extra dual sport capability... maybe a cush hub, but I wouldn't want to go much beyond that. My Funduro is too heavy, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    wonder if anybody's ever drowned, trapped under their big adventure bike which they dropped in say two feet of water crossing a stream. . .
    I got trapped under a TY250 trials bike, in the Canobolas State Forest and it only weighs 89kg. It happened to be the ONLY time I ever rode that forest with another rider... who was able to undo the Indian death lock that my feet had got themselves into under the bike. Not in a stream... but it wasn't fun - hot exhaust and all....

90% pavement huh? I've been meaning to watch that but haven't gotten around to it yet. But if I was riding across the the big empties of the world a single track would suit me just fine. It's mostly just hype to sell bikes anyway. The idea that you need the biggest fastest bike on the block to have an adventure is just dumb. The challenge for the dual sports is trying to do all things well in a superhyway world. Kind of like the whole sail and oar arguement that goes round And round here.
    -Jim

BMW G650 Cross Country . http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=834987&page=4
    18000 km off road across Russia.

Last edited by PeterSibley; 07-26-2013 at 03:35 AM.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

The gs 650 is fat and not much lighter than my old ST, about 12 kg IIRC , the G652 CX is 40 kg lighter than the standard gs but seems to have no real disadvantages ...for me anyway. I'm going through a bit of a mumble about selling my ST and buying a CX, I rode one recently and it was a very nice bit of gear, probably too small for a very tall person but fine for me and it weighs 145 kg / 320 lb.

So of course BMW dropped it in 2009 but there are lots of good used ones out there , but was it released in the USA?
    Grateful Dead

Cross country? With 9.5 litres of fuel. I don't think so. Still too heavy, at 148kg dry

8 litres in an aux tank gives 17.5 before reserve and 4.5l/ 100km gives 400 km. Enuff.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    8 litres in an aux tank gives 17.5 before reserve and 4.5l/ 100km gives 400 km. Enuff.
    4.5l/100km? Offroad? Nah. I carry near the same amount of fuel on the 525 (I think its 13.5 litres)... and even taking it easy, I'm looking for fuel at 220km. That's not empty, but 250 is pushing it. My range on the 950 Super Enduro is 450 km in Oz... from 30 litres. In Asia or on Cape York tracks, cut that by 33% or more.... up around 10 litres per 100 km - due to the conditions.

I like a nice rat... but the idea of combining a disk brake and sprocket is just daft

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    4.5l/100km? Offroad? Nah. I carry near the same amount of fuel on the 525 (I think its 13.5 litres)... and even taking it easy, I'm looking for fuel at 220km. That's not empty, but 250 is pushing it. My range on the 950 Super Enduro is 450 km in Oz... from 30 litres. In Asia or on Cape York tracks, cut that by 33% or more.... up around 10 litres per 100 km - due to the conditions.
    The same bike as above.

The combined 22 litres at my average consumption for the whole trip of 4.3 l/100km gave me an average range of about 515 km.

Note: With 15t front sprocket (often highway miles) my average consumption was 4.1 l/100k and with 14t sprocket (often dirt miles) my average consumption was 4.5 l/100km ... really not a lot of variation (less than 10%) between highway miles on taller gearing, and dirt miles on lower gearing. You wouldnt get that on a KTM!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524638

Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I like a nice rat... but the idea of combining a disk brake and sprocket is just daft
    I agree, but there is probably little chance of locking up the rear!

What do you think of the chain adjustment?
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Peter, we've done a fair few km on the Funduro, which has the same engine as the CX, if I'm not mistaken, except that the Funduro has twin carbs rather than EFI. Its got a 17 litre tank and its on reserve at 275km.

Different riding experience between the BMW and the KTM... one's a relative lugger (although it hasn't got much below 4k) and the other likes to be revved, but will tractor nicely through mud.

It's not a Funduro, quite different with more torque and power and excellent fuel economy as the link shows. Far better than a KTM.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    It's not a Funduro, quite different with more torque and power and excellent fuel economy as the link shows. Far better than a KTM.
    4hp? You'd have a hard time noticing that.

Weight has become a far more important consideration for me, rather than fuel economy. It is really the discriminatory factor when the chips are down. I'm yet to encounter a situation where fuel consumption caused a halt to proceedings, whereas the weight issue has been it on a number of occasions. Another 35kg ie the extra the CX weighs, would have seen it abandoned while I went for help many times in Laos. I can live with 22 km per litre.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post

What do you think of the chain adjustment?
    It's a doozey! The chain adjuster equivalent of a manually adjusted drip oiler, and with equal or greater possibilities for mayhem.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

I just cleared the postie bikes out of my shed.

I've kept one - one of the oldest btw, a CT-90 that is well over 30 years old and qualifies as a historic registration, ie cheap.

Mr Sibley got one for a fuel efficiency project, the guy who organises the Scrapheap Adventure Ride (a fundraiser for Downs Syndrome) got one and a kid 'with issues' got one as a motivational project.

Mine is pretty much the same as this, but with smaller reflectors on the forks and I haven't got the grey plastic bit, nor I see, the sidecover. Oh... mine's a lot more faded too.... and I'll keep it that way.

I'll almost certainly throw a Lifan engine in it, electric start most likely and I'll probably throw LED lights on it..... and that will be my runabout bike. I'm seriously thinking of going 140cc or 150cc

There are some bikes with LHS kickstarts.

Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Yeah, I've got two. The 250 MZ - I gave it a trial kick the other day... not too hard to do. The other one is the R90S. Its a sideways kick though.... and it also has electric start.

I think I'll be OK on the other bikes. I'll be wearing a knee brace when riding from now on, but for short runs... up to the shops, I doubt I'd bother. I'll start thinking about fitting the electric start to the Beeza soon.... once I stop playing with old Mercedes cars.

Oooh....

"It climbs the hills like a Matchless 'cause my Honda's built really light"

Mike

How about this Floatzzila? A bike to cross rice fields, ponds, lakes or estuaries, low tide flats ect.

Before you criticize it... think how right it really is and how fun it would be.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-30-2013 at 11:34 AM.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Criticize? I think it's way cool!

In fact whoever built it is obviously very bright.

That nice Matchless has a modern carb and air cleaner fitted. Good to see a practical approach to classic motorcycling.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    That nice Matchless has a modern carb and air cleaner fitted. Good to see a practical approach to classic motorcycling.
    As does my '47 Beeza.... but in the case of mine, its a rather ugly aircleaner and a Chinese carbie. I think changes are in order. I've got a couple of AMALs of various vintages.... but I'm thinking Mikuni and a more sympathetic air filter? First up is fitting an electric starter... and I see plenty of $50 Chinese options on ebay these days

Where would you fit the starter Ian? At first I thought maybe the Magneto drive, but 2:1 is probably too high.

I remember remarking on that filter.

The airfilter on the Matchless looked fairly unobtrusive, probably due to being painted black. If your carb works OK why not keep it, a pancake shaped filter would look appropriate and may fit depending on the offset available.