Page 101 of 124 FirstFirst ... 5191100101102111 ... LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,535 of 4322

Thread: Some motorbikes just look right

Default Re: Some motorbikes just look right

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I can ride a faired bike in a race position for a short time, but the severe hip angle combined with wind pressure make my back seize.

Sitting more upright is easier, even with the buffeting, because I can support my spine better, and my hip is more open. I have severe flexibility and slight mobility issues.

Peace,
    Robert
    The 80 GS for you then.

Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    The 80 GS for you then.

Werd. With a little headlight fairing and short screen like I've seen on some, I might could become an IronButt.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Werd. With a little headlight fairing and short screen like I've seen on some, I might could become an IronButt.

Peace,
    Robert
    Robert - it is the journey not the challenge that brings rewards. Ironbutts are for people with clocks and boxes to check. for us soul riders, it is the doodles we draw in the greasy spoon with our bikes parked outside as we get our 4th cup of joe around 9:45 in the morning, pulling the pack rod out for some brooks in the creek near a small bridge at 3 or the flip flop blow out near the campfire.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Robert - it is the journey not the challenge that brings rewards. Ironbutts are for people with clocks and boxes to check. for us soul riders, it is the doodles we draw in the greasy spoon with our bikes parked outside as we get our 4th cup of joe around 9:45 in the morning, pulling the pack rod out for some brooks in the creek near a small bridge at 3 or the flip flop blow out near the campfire.
    I didn't know it was a schedule thing, I just knew it was a mileage deal.
    I ain't into rushing.

Peace,
    Robert

Alt.ernatively

Recumbent with engine and screen....
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Alt.ernatively

Recumbent with engine and screen....
    Oh, I already plan to build a Morgan three wheeler clone. I'll just use that if it comes to sitting recumbent.

Peace,
    Robert

26 years after some dirt bag took my 3rd example away.....

That 23in front wheel was just to hard to resist.....

I had one of these, an excellent bit of gear .

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Nice to see the thread get back on track...
    "I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible that you may be mistaken." (stolen from TomF )

It's a shed day today. I might drag the old Katoom out and pump up the tyres

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I had one of these, an excellent bit of gear .

I actually considered one of those, but given the expense of a good example and the cost of some spare parts, it would have been a bike better kept in the shed; i really liked the flat torque curve on those. I was actually after a later bike with 12v electrics, but this one came along local with only 17,000km on the clock. I will be fitting an additional voltage regulator, already blown 3 headlight bulbs.
    Quite a few of those K2-K3 models being imported to the UK from the US.

Mine saw hard use cross country riding on Cape York, it was sandy country so the weight of the XL was an advantage over the lighter Suzukis . The front wheel would cut through the light surface sand to find the bottom.
    Grateful Dead

Mine saw hard use cross country riding on Cape York, it was sandy country so the weight of the XL was an advantage over the lighter Suzukis . The front wheel would cut through the light surface sand to find the bottom.
    The secret with sand is speed and throttle. Go a gear higher and stay on the juice.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

When riding with a group we had to stay together so the slowest bike set the pace.
    Grateful Dead

When riding with a group we had to stay together so the slowest bike set the pace.
    A recipe for getting hurt. This bloke broke his collarbone and had to be flown out... riding too slow. We were first on scene... doing 80 kph. When we slowed through 60, we were in danger ourselves and it got scary.... but at 80, the sand "hardens" and it's like riding on bitumen

Yep, 70 or 80 km was the right speed except for tricky sections...... really deep sand.
    Grateful Dead

Last two pics not linking Ian

NM - must be logged in to Adv Rider to see pics.
    Last edited by B_B; 05-31-2017 at 02:28 PM.
    "I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible that you may be mistaken." (stolen from TomF )

I saw one of these the other day. Pretty slick.

Peace,
    Robert

Very heavy. Good slogger otherwise.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Love it !!!
    Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead

Paul - that is one of the ugliest bikes I've ever seen - good job!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Peter - quite an amazing video. I guess you make do or do without, eh?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I need some help here....

An idea, about 60 seconds old.

I've got a spare KTM RFS engine... which I cleaned off the workbench yesterday. I've got a pair of 17" wheels/tyres/brakes for it.

I was just looking at a cafe racer thread.

Hmmm.

Downside... I need to do the frame / tank / wiring side. And, the RFS isn't a "look at me" engine. But, it'll eat any Manx Norton ever built.

So, I need a doodler, or someone with an idea for how to build a cafe racer that de-accentuates the engine. Hmm... where's the radiator go?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Hmm... where's the radiator go?
    under the seat

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    under the seat
    There have been some innovative solutions to this problem in the past, but my arse is already too hot

Hmmm.... maybe a porcupine frame, with coolant in it?

Wow

So... I throw the engine at it. I find a swingarm like this. I weld the frame (have TiG, will travel)... I do the tank in carbon (what's the go with carbon and ethanol fuels?)... and I worry about the fairing later.

you have mad welding skills?

or more like this?