Page 115 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1565105114115
Results 3,991 to 4,022 of 4022

Thread: Some motorbikes just look right

Default Re: Some motorbikes just look right

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Yep. Insane.
    I’m more interested in smaller bikes these days. Like the Indian BMW 310 that Ted’s ordered.
    Seconded .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    that is a one way ticket to Hurtsville. If you can survive on it, service intervals are pretty impressive: 12,000 km for a minor service, 24,000 for a major (7500/15000 miles) which means 2 to 3 tire changes before one gets every minor service. One could almost wager on which upcoming rap star or minor media personality gets maimed or killed when ridden of the showroom floor.
    I decided a couple of weeks ago to keep my Multitistrada and let the kids decide what to do with it when I'm gone. I rode it for the first time in months and it impressed me again as it did five years ago when I bought it. Mine makes 142HP at the rear wheel and weighs in at a little under 500 wet. To me, it's just overwhelming in first gear and wheelies on demand in second on power. Top speed is probably north of 150, though by how much I'm unsure. Consider something 15% lighter with 50% more power and it makes the knees go weak. I have no idea who the market is for the new bike, but it sure isn't me and never was.

But I thought it was worth mentioning, and it is a very handsome machine, especially in the details that the photo doesn't reveal.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

File under strange and interesting .

Grateful Dead

Speaking of hurt.... ten seconds before I snapped this, about half an hour ago, the guy was sliding down the road at speed under his scooter. He lost a bit of skin, but that's about all. Straight road. There was another scooter right beside him... don't know if they were racing or not.

No helmet - which is rare here. Sandals, which isn't rare.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Also shown at EICMA for Anglophiles who don't mind a bit of Indian engineering. Nothing very new or fancy here, but that's the way RE fans like it. They could have done a bit better with the brakes though the rest looks about right. 47 HP in case you were wondering. It will probably do OK in the third world but I don't see it selling well here. Too much competition as the basic bike/under $10K market is really heating up.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Does it have a unit gearbox Lew ? I can't be sure from that photo. It looks separate .
    Last edited by PeterSibley; 12-01-2017 at 05:08 PM.
    Grateful Dead

This sandgroper has quite the collection of Vincents. 39 of them. He says he's a hoarder, not a trader.

Some other nice bikes in his house too

Full story and more pics here
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Good grief !
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    This sandgroper has quite the collection of Vincents. 39 of them. He says he's a hoarder, not a trader.

Some other nice bikes in his house too

Full story and more pics here
    A retired lobster fisherman able to get all these bikes and luxury cars… There is more to this wily cat’s story. He must be selling huge chunks of the Great Barrier Reef to Hong Kong Investors.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

There's good money in lobster.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    There's good money in lobster.
    Driven, unfortunately, by international pricing. Oh for the good old days, when pricing was driven by local supply, rather than international demand. When lobster was ten bucks.... and you could buy it at roadside stalls

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Driven, unfortunately, by international pricing. Oh for the good old days, when pricing was driven by local supply, rather than international demand. When lobster was ten bucks.... and you could buy it at roadside stalls
    Still can in Maine - for a 1.25-1.5 lb. lobbie - depending on season, sometimes a little more, sometimes less.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

RIP Nobby Clarke

Great story HERE about Nobby and his work with many of the greats... some of whom he didn't regard very highly

well done kz
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Are ya in yet?

Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Good one, Ted. When I saw you posted here I was hoping you’d picked up your new bike.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Good one, Ted. When I saw you posted here I was hoping you’d picked up your new bike.
    BMW is dragging as the new bike popularity is beginning to overshadow their other model introductions - good news is that I heard the bikes are in route.

KC has put some pressure on me about the r100. I am working hard to deflect and keep both. This may require me to send the airhead to Germany/France. There is sliver of hope for a shipment in a container with a early may arrival with a Dolomite ride that month and another Provence ride to coincide with the Voiles de St. Tropez in late September. This all means working all summer when not away shooting, captaining and crewing.

It would be nice if you two could join us on that late summer thing. This time we have seats aboard a few boats as expressed by our extremely close French family friends who are the harbor masters in St. Tropez.

My ST is going on the market this coming week.

P7100403.jpg
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    My ST is going on the market this coming week.

P7100403.jpg
    thats a big deal peter. A changing of times as you switch gears. I hope you find a good deserving home for your old girl and you do something with the money which is extraordinary.

I've bought my grandson's XT 250 and will see how I like it , if I find it lacking I'll chase up a BMW G650 Cross Country. The same power but 60 kg lighter.

Grateful Dead

I've bought my grandson's XT 250 and will see how I like it , if I find it lacking I'll chase up a BMW G650 Cross Country. The same power but 60 kg lighter.
    don't they sell harley's down there?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

They do but weight is the main reason I'll selling the BMW so buying more weight isn't likely.
    Grateful Dead

Harley's are hilarious. Some people here do buy them, then they hit the road. We have bendy roads in some parts. Harley's and bendy roads just don't seem to mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Harley's are hilarious. Some people here do buy them, then they hit the road. We have bendy roads in some parts. Harley's and bendy roads just don't seem to mix.
    Wallow, wallow, wallow. Whales with wheels.
    Grateful Dead

That is a directional change. You are going to be fun to watch in the cooler months to come.

I rode with a Harley on Friday. We did a favourite 250 kilometre loop. Three bikes, four people (I had my girlfriend with me). My Funduro, a Yammie VStar (650) and a Harley something. A LowRider, I think. Heavy thing... weighs over 300kg and Julie had to pick her parking spot carefully.

The Harley looks and sounds good.... and Julie hustled it along quite well, but whenever there were corners (ie, all 250 km), I was leaving the two cruisers behind. Here we are, stopped for a look at Grantala, which is moored in the river below this road.

Despite this road having a maximum speed limit of 80 kph, it's a fun ride. Unbelievably, this next section has a 60 kph nanny state speed limit

I'd just had the GF say to me "you're riding like an old man... putt putt putt".... so I pointed to the 60 speed limit signs and she got the idea. By the end of the ride she said "you were riding like I wasn't on the back"... her way of saying that she enjoyed the ride.

She's complaining that the Funduro is ugly... but then she says the same of me, so I'm ignoring that. I do intend to put the R90S back on the road though... She wants her own bike... but it won't be the Funduro, unless she gets some real high heels

The loop was via the Berowra Waters ferry, coffee at Pie in the Sky on the Old Pacific Highway, OPH to the Gosford link road, then turned off at Kariong to Pearl Beach for lunch. After lunch, via Spencer to Wisemans Ferry (crossing the Hawkesbury via ferry there) and back via Windsor. Great cafe at Pearl Beach.

One of the cruiser riders struck a problem on one corner... and was lucky. She ended up going around one corner with footpeg scraping the whole way... and considered herself very lucky. She's cornering even more cautiously now. No way do I want a cruiser.

It was around 100F yesterday.... and humid.

I quite like the Funduro but it's a heavy little thing, 190 kg wet from the spec sheet.
    Grateful Dead

I quite like the Funduro but it's a heavy little thing, 190 kg wet from the spec sheet.
    Yeah, that puts it around the same weight as the Super Enduro, but it feels lighter. It's no rocketship, but I like it as an urban ride and in the near urban riding we do. I've always liked thumpers.

This something else under consideration....not this one but an XT550. A bit old but a good bike that handled very nicely and had a bit of power.

Grateful Dead

While I'm here, the BMW Cross Country is a neat bit of gear, as is the DR400 but both are water cool, something I've avoided over the years in the interests of simplicity.

Generally, what does the panel think of water cooled bikes and their reliability ?
    Grateful Dead

The move to water cooling was driven by emissions regulation.