Page 1 of 115 121151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Some motorbikes just look right

Default Some motorbikes just look right

... and this is one of them... and I believe it started out as an R90S.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Default Re: Some motorbikes just look right

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

not even a vestigial front fender and the head light location is ridiculous
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I think I'd have liked a matching headlight on the right side. There's a few other things that'd see it fail registration here too. I'm also a bit cautious about those tyres

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    not even a vestigial front fender and the head light location is ridiculous
    Ridiculous from a performance perspective, agreed... but it does look brilliant up high, with the springer front end exposed like that.

Ahhh... a bit of sleuthing and I've found the original source

http://inazumacafe.blogspot.it/2013/...n-pfeil-2.html

Sorry. Doesn't look right at all. I'd take the original.

That is one of my favorite bikes. Read the story behind the build. They didn't spare the $$.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

From an aesthetic viewpoint, those paper-thin seats look like they'd break at the forward pivot end.

Don't like that first bike at all.

I designed up a cafe' racer once with a honking huge headlight and flat bars, based on a 1969 Bonneville. Tasty. Wish I could find the sketch... think flat track proportioned with prominent engine, smaller tank.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Perhaps we could rename this thread to "Some motorbikes just don't look right".

Steven

The plunger rear end looks like a butt muncher too. The thing looks like something built for Totie Fields (Sorry Ian!).

One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

A lifetime ago I worked in a Harley dealership as a mechanic. I had a rule, "do not test ride anything with a springer front end".
    That one, without the shock absorbers would be like riding a pogo stick

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    ... and this is one of them... and I believe it started out as an R90S.

Some motorbikes look just different.

Quote Originally Posted by Syed View Post
    Some motorbikes look just different.
    Maybe what I like is the memory that one evokes. I used to have a Cibie Super Oscar mounted in the same spot on my R90S, as most of my riding was night blasts through the Blue mountains

Friends of mine are doing a North India tour at the moment... on Royal Enfields.

Som is enjoying her 500

I didn't see this one earlier. Nice. The story is here

http://www.teamincomplete.com/Boxer/boxerhome.html

yes a very cool build project

ooooh. . . .

OOOhhhhh - a bitza - an immense confusion of parts.

What is that airbox doing on that engine - or anywhere near that bevel box.,
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

I am sorry but nothing is better looking then the old Norton 750 Commando Fastback.
    But then I had one and drove it from NJ to CA in 1974.
    Mine was brown.

Maybe that is my I am such a hard a$$ today.

Interesting how tastes vary.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

My Boy Max 'builds' bikes. His work is on utube, under his moniker mrmaxstorey.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael D. Storey View Post
    There is a lot of helpful stuff on his site. Good on him!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Spent some time watching his videos. It was time well spent. He's got a style!
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

I had a Norton Fastback too, about 12 years ago. I put Dunstall pipes on it.

When it ran, it was glorious.

Sold it to buy a 1981 Fiat Spider 2000 LE. MUCH better.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Seen two weeks ago in Vienna (Austria) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Thnx for the kind words, Gents. As a paramedic, he saved an old guy's life about a year ago. his response: 'I was just glad that I was there and could know what to do.' Unassuming. He and his bride have decided that they are leaving Sacramento and moving a scant 25 miles from Judith & me. Some days ya get more than you deserve.

Thnx for the kind words, Gents.
    I'm only one Gent, but I admit you could carve two modestly sized ones out of me.

The chain maintenance video could use some more edits. The sprocket on the bike in question is close to gone....they are not supposed to be "sharp" or pointy. That's near to replacement time.

Other than that, a lot of useful stuff on keeping old bikes from what I saw, and I enjoyed his patter as he moves through the processes. He's a "keep 'em running" kind of guy. And quite the horse trader, it would seem.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 07-03-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    they are not supposed to be "sharp" or pointy. That's near to replacement time.
    Ian may disagree with you.

The pointy bits break off and grind into the crankcase. DAMHIKT

Ian may disagree with you.
    Nah I'm starting to wear mine to pointy already. That was fast. And I'm religious about maintaining the chain and sprockets, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    Nah I'm starting to wear mine to pointy already. That was fast. And I'm religious about maintaining the chain and sprockets, too.
    Yep. Me too

Note the "powdered crankcase", lower left

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Some motorbikes just look right
    yes. . .