Page 123 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2373113122123124 LastLast
Results 4,271 to 4,305 of 4322

Thread: Some motorbikes just look right

Default Re: Some motorbikes just look right

Mine continues to look right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Looks like nice riding there, Ted. I couldn't visit the Black Forest without a lap or several of the 'Ring.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

I wanted to name my daughter after this guy's daughter.... but my wife wouldn't let me.

Frank Zappa

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

While we are making Harleys look good... I might as well do Hunter S Thompson

What on earth was Jimi thinking with that exhaust header?

Quote Originally Posted by devout View Post
    This is supposed to be at the SA Bike Festival this weekend, I'll try and get a better photo

Attachment 16469
    I find the bulk of most BMW twin lumps don't lend themselves to feathery looking bikes. That looks like something plucked from a tractor bolted to a Schwinn frame. I don't have anything against BMW twins. I've owned them from every era since the 60's but IMO that's an ugly way to treat that lump. It looks so out of whack. Nothing against the workmanship.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Pretty sure that 427 cobra block is a small block, probably a 302 (5.0L) and possibly bored to 427. Getting a 302 to 427 is pushing things. The 351W can get there more easily with an aftermarket block and it might be a 351W block, not sure. There's no way that's a 427 big block though. I wonder what the power to weight ratio is for that bike?
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Ya'll are stuck in the past, man! Electric is the future.

Chinese made Sur-Ron e-moto
    ~$3,500
    60 mi range
    50kg dry or wet. . .
    Nosce te ipsum

Mine continues to look right.
    Looks very right. Epic trip Ted. I love how casually you travel and post about your travels; it belies the effort it took to get you to this point. Congratulations on getting away. And thanks for posting updates.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

This does NOT look right. Pirro, crashing at 350 kph in practice in Italy this weekend. He's conscious and has movement in his arms and legs. Looks like he'll be OK

RIP Dan Kneen - 1987-2018, died in practice at the Isle of Man. Tyco BMW rider.

With the laurels, the price can be high

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    This does NOT look right. Pirro, crashing at 350 kph in practice in Italy this weekend. He's conscious and has movement in his arms and legs. Looks like he'll be OK

i could have made the big race (had been offered tickets) on Sunday. I was too worried that Heidelberg was too far away on a older bike to be home on Tuesday.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

I thought you was riding with a mob, so, I'll forgive you.

At least you were riding in paradise an giving it some curry.

Remember the old truckies prayer,

Keep it between the posts an greasy side down an all should be well

That's bad, I have friend racing there...

I can't even imagine crashing a bike @ over 200 MPH. Heck, I can't imagine riding one at that speed.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

She looks very good Ted !

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I can't even imagine crashing a bike @ over 200 MPH. Heck, I can't imagine riding one at that speed.
    i could have made the big race (had been offered tickets) on Sunday. I was too worried that Heidelberg was too far away on a older bike to be home on Tuesday.
    I haven't heard the full story, but apparently he tried to brake, there was nothing there, he pumped them and they locked

184 km or 114 mph is my fastest on a bike. 350 km is beyond my comprehension.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    184 km or 114 mph is my fastest on a bike. 350 km is beyond my comprehension.
    I, of course, never exceed the speed limit on public roads.... except maybe that one time when I did the same act as Pirro, but only at 140 kph. I woke up in hospital with a big headache and many other pains and a policeman came to the hospital to have a discussion. Pirro was out cold too, I hear... but has been talking of racing today.

It's worth seeking out the video of Pirro's crash. I'm sure it will be shown again in the lead-in to tonight's MotoGP race.

I have managed well over 180 on the dirt.... and one becomes very conscious of the stopping problem, given the traction issue - or rather the lack of traction.

Didn't get a photo of my fastest run on dirt... but this shot is taken one-handed at 100 freedom units (160+) on a farmer's private road. No problem... the loose gravel hardens up a bit at that speed.

" I, of course, never exceed the speed limit on public roads.'' nor I of course!
    Grateful Dead

Some very nice bikes in this upcoming auction

https://www.amcaaustralia.org/auction

Husqvarna Vitpilen 410

Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Looks very right. Epic trip Ted. I love how casually you travel and post about your travels; it belies the effort it took to get you to this point. Congratulations on getting away. And thanks for posting updates.

Thanks Paul. I apologize for the late but poignant comment.

This ride was 24 years in the making. Lots of things happening around me in life altering ways. The beautiful ride served other personal purposes. I needed time to reflect and folding of mental space into chunks I could separate from what was to what is now - this bike has been delivering that since I first put my hand on her when I rolled it out of the bmw factory crate.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 06-08-2018 at 11:28 AM.

All that protective gear and then wearing sneakers? It's as bad as seeing people wearing flip flops on a bike.

Husqvarna Vitpilen 410

The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceboy View Post
    All that protective gear and then wearing sneakers? It's as bad as seeing people wearing flip flops on a bike.
    Maybe kevlar, like dragon jeans etc. For those that don't like looking like an alien clumping around in riding boots and a hunchback riding jacket when they arrive at their destination....

Husqvarna Vitpilen 410

They make a 701 single cylinder as well. Must kick a bit when idling See the pic on post 4268

The same engine as the 390 KTM.
    Grateful Dead

"Oval Super Battle" in Japan. Looks like No. 5, the guy on the old-school hardtail-looking bike with the skinny tires cleaned the sport bike's respective clocks.

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Husqvarna Vitpilen 410

I just saw one of those at my local Yamaha/Husqvarna dealer. Nice looking bikes, but that protuberances on the fuel tank are a little odd-looking, if you ask me. The Svartpilen is the enduro version, it only comes as a 400. The Vitpilen is the café racer version. It comes as either a 400 or 700. Engine is a single-cylinder KTM (Husqvarna's parent company these days) single-cyclinder engine. Salesman told me that the first batch (in the States, at least) is made in Austria, but after that, manufacturing will be moving to India.

The 400 version is 43 hp and 326 pounds. The 700 version is 74 hp and 346 pounds.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

The Super Cub is coming back to America!

you meet the nicest people on a honda
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

A4873BFD-C0F4-40D1-9A04-95680EB63E0A.jpg
    This is on my front lawn. A kid up the street wants to sell it but on the road it was getting parking tickets so I invited him to put it on the lawn. This is the closest I’ll ever get to having one.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    you meet the nicest people on a honda
    I already told him...

Peace,
    Instigator

Paula's new boyfriend rides an Africa Twin. We did the Kulnura loop yesterday. About a half of the roads were damp to wet, but we didn't encounter rain.