Page 122 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2272112121122123 ... LastLast
Results 4,236 to 4,270 of 4322

Thread: Some motorbikes just look right

Default Re: Some motorbikes just look right

I just found this too... a mate had slipped a copy of the movie onto my PC.

It's well worth a watch of the movie, if you can find it. I think it was the movie's director who used to live next to my brother. Anyhow, it was someone connected with it. We'd see him sitting out front in an old Riley... filled with smoke from, shall we say, some burning substance. I lived there for a while too. We were on the street circuit that's a key part of the movie, around Neutral Bay. I used to ride it fairly often.

047eryt3q456.jpg
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Here's a good bike but I don't like the looks, a good bike though. XT550.

Maybe. Underpowered (38hp), overweight (25kg heavier than my KTM), drum brakes, and suspension travel that is 2/3 (front) and 1/2 (rear).

One of the guys that I rode to the Cape with had one (might have been a 600). He struggled with it. Big time.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

A friend set one up as a road bike and it was good, it handled very well. HP is sufficient for usual duties.145 kg is fine.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

The Moto3 race was amazing. Hard to believe that Kornfiel didn't crash when he hit Bastianini's fallen bike. He jumped it, leaned into the gravel and rode back onto the track

jump1.jpg

jump2.jpg

jump3.jpg

jump4.jpg

street

track

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I wonder how long 'till the first burnt thighs court case?

I love the scout. Sweet bike. I'd do it up as a bobber though. Maybe a WWII army clone. I hear the Brough Superior is back. Only a little over $90K so I'm out.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    I love the scout. Sweet bike. I'd do it up as a bobber though. Maybe a WWII army clone. I hear the Brough Superior is back. Only a little over $90K so I'm out.
    I like the look of it... but, sheesh, the weight. If all you want to do is ride straight roads.... then, go ahead.

I'm away this weekend - riding to Bateman's Bay, via Kangaroo Valley, with a group comprised of mainly Harley riders. It's stop, wait, re-join the ride every time we encounter corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    street

track

It appears to be a V-Twin, so why are the exhausts on different sides for the street and track versions?

Presuming that the setting for the photo is indicative of what kind of track it will race on, I am quite certain that the track version has pipes on the left side because the rider's left leg is usually extended out off the bike and his right leg is pressed hard against the right side. Dunno why they changed it for the street version, other than the rear pipe is much simpler to fabricate and install if on that side.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I wonder how long 'till the first burnt thighs court case?

I was trying to talk LWB into making a toasted sandwich pocket to put on the inside of his jeans leg. Bacon , I thought , maybe some cheese.
    But he quite rightly pointed out his Honda was a scrambler, and that's a bit problematic food wise.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Presuming that the setting for the photo is indicative of what kind of track it will race on, I am quite certain that the track version has pipes on the left side because the rider's left leg is usually extended out off the bike and his right leg is pressed hard against the right side.
    Jared Mees' bike. Carries the AMA Pro number 1 plate now, having won the flat track national championship last year.

I like the look of it... but, sheesh, the weight.
    427 pounds wet is too much for a street bike? That's only thirteen pounds more than a Panigale.

Haven't ridden enough bikes to get a feel for lightweight vs heavy but the Scout I took out for a test ride felt incredible compared to my brother's V-Star 650 I pulled into the dealership's lot on.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

427 pounds wet is too much for a street bike? That's only thirteen pounds more than a Panigale.
    Street bike? Do you mean that one-off show bike?

The Indian Scout street bikes weigh between 524 and 533 dry - and the Chiefs are 745 - 758 lbs dry - https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2...e-date-prices/

Add half a tank of gas and some oils and the Scout is at 560+ lbs - over 250kg.

Too heavy, but still better than a Harley Fat Bob at 306kg in running order (more with a full tank).

I get a bit sick of helping friends manhandle their Harleys in parking lots.

I was talking about the bike in the pic.

... and on a separate note, trying to forestall the whinging, I was telling the girlfriend that she's going to be cold, riding at 6:30am on Saturday (remember... we're heading into winter here, and this trip points us toward the Antarctic). I suspect it will be about 5 or 6 degrees Celcius when we set off.

Out came the kevlar jeans. Oops. You'll need to sew on another button Dear. Someone's been enjoying the good life too much.

This is the first overnighter she's done on the bike with me.

"You can't pack much Dear".

"OK, I'll only take one bag".

"Bag? You can pack a plastic bag full if you want.... you get half the topbox".

I suspect I will come in for some flack when she sees me plug in my electric gloves and the electric vest.

I was talking about the bike in the pic.
    Oh, OK, but you said street bike. That's a show bike. I can guarantee you, that one will never be sold in that form for use on the street.

But this is. Fully road legal CRF450L

If they build that in Thailand, I can see me changing from the orange to the red. It'd be nice to be riding something legal, for a change

This is supposed to be at the SA Bike Festival this weekend, I'll try and get a better photo

BMW.jpg

Interesting bike. BMW's take on the future of sports touring bikes, the 9cento

My first thought was "touring?"... but wait, there's more

Some sort of modular clip-on luggage.

The bike is based on the 800cc parallel twin

Speaking of luggage. This bike looks great... if you like baggers. It's a Kawasaki Vulcan 1700cc that was on our weekend ride down through Kangaroo Valley, to Batemans Bay and back via the Kings Highway. One of 14 bikes we had riding together

He had a set of two into one exhausts... into a megaphone that's just visible in that shot. I'd wondered about his ground clearance... and he'd just shown me. I was behind him into a roundabout at 35kph.... and he scraped it all the way through. I could easily have got through it at three times that speed. Why do people ride bikes that can't corner?

Same bike and some of the others

Blurry pic... but to me, it's roads like this that are why I like bikes

We stopped at the bottom of that pass and waited for the others. Same same a few other times.

Both mornings were cold. It was 4.8C (40F) when we set off on Saturday and pretty damn cold on Sunday as we headed up into the mountains too... but it was a good ride.

Not too bad but a strange version of a tourer.
    Grateful Dead

I was at a Bike Festival at Kyalami over the weekend. Photos from my phone, so not all that great. Some very nice bikes, and some hideous ones.

Customised BMW NineT. I thought it looked good

IMG_0034.jpg

This three-wheeler runs a Harley motor

IMG_0036.jpg

Custom spray job on a Hayabusa. Just because you can doesn't mean you should, although I can admire the skill

IMG_0041.jpg

RD 350 set up for track

IMG_0043.jpg

Very clean Water Buffalo 2-stroke

Attachment 16848

I wasn't to crazy about this BMW

Attachment 16849

I don't recall what this was but it comes standard with the oil leak

Attachment 16850

Sunbeam

Attachment 16851

No images Devout.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    No images Devout.
    I see, let me try and figure it out

Very clean Water Buffalo 2-stroke

IMG_0044.jpg

I wasn't to crazy about this BMW

IMG_0049.jpg

I don't recall what this was but it comes standard with the oil leak

IMG_0051.jpg

Sunbeam

IMG_0053.jpg

Based on a Honda 70 CC motor, I think

IMG_0067.jpg

Lambretta 175 CC

IMG_0075.jpg

I couldn't work out what they were trying to achieve with the header pipes on the CBX, it just appears totally haphazard

IMG_0076.jpg

Another tangle of pipes in the place of the fuel tank on the CBR 1000, it just looks silly. There is a filler cap, so I guess the fuel goes in there

IMG_0085.jpg

Is it an AJS 350?

That's just confusing ! It must have been good hash.

Grateful Dead

Husqvarna had a 401 and 701 cc, both singles

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

V8 427 cu Ford Cobra in this bike

IMG_0146.jpg

Velocette

IMG_0161.jpg

Speaking of luggage. This bike looks great... if you like baggers. It's a Kawasaki Vulcan 1700cc that was on our weekend ride down through Kangaroo Valley, to Batemans Bay and back via the Kings Highway. One of 14 bikes we had riding together

He had a set of two into one exhausts... into a megaphone that's just visible in that shot. I'd wondered about his ground clearance... and he'd just shown me. I was behind him into a roundabout at 35kph.... and he scraped it all the way through. I could easily have got through it at three times that speed. Why do people ride bikes that can't corner?

Same bike and some of the others

Blurry pic... but to me, it's roads like this that are why I like bikes

We stopped at the bottom of that pass and waited for the others. Same same a few other times.

Both mornings were cold. It was 4.8C (40F) when we set off on Saturday and pretty damn cold on Sunday as we headed up into the mountains too... but it was a good ride.

O.K. Ian, I am officially dirty on ya. That bridge in the photo is less than a K from my house an you did not drop in for coffee. Shame on you. You know I need ten seconds notice to get the coffee on.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieBarney View Post
    O.K. Ian, I am officially dirty on ya. That bridge in the photo is less than a K from my house an you did not drop in for coffee. Shame on you. You know I need ten seconds notice to get the coffee on.
    Oops. I was hoping you wouldn't see that, Barney.

Would your kettle have made coffee for 20?

I'm sure you'll understand that I thought of contacting you to let you know I'd be coming through.... but trying to stop a herd of Harley riders is nigh on impossible - and we were running late for a cafe booking in Mogo. I figured we'd be back sometime soon anyhow.

As it was, we lost the herd at Milton. One of the women on a Harley pulled up alongside and told me "my" (ie she on the back) cigarettes had fallen out of my pocket about 300 metres back. I went back... over half a kilometre, picked up the fags (a near full pack.... $40 or so - ugh)... and then set out to chase down the riding pack without getting thrown in the clink for the night.

I chased 'em for the full 50 km.... made the ride more interesting at least - but never caught them. Turned out they'd pulled into Maccas at Milton for a slash.... so we were ahead of them. She on the back is always happier when I'm hunting it along a bit anyhow, so we enjoyed it.

Our food, and a bottle of red, were on the table before they got to Mogo.... about an hour after the due time for our arrival

Bonus bike pic

Incidentally.... a couple of these trees made it into Grantala. Not these particular ones, but from about a kilometre or two away. This is world heritage area... but I know someone who lives on the boundary, who dropped a couple for me.... many years back.

Speaking of pushing on.... I'd just overtaken the ride leader when the popo went the other way. I checked my speed on the GPS.... 90. Oops. Turned out I was in a 90 zone.

Last edited by The Bigfella; 05-30-2018 at 07:54 PM.