Page 121 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2171111120121122131 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,235 of 4648

Thread: Some motorbikes just look right

Default Re: Some motorbikes just look right

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Spill the beans, Ted. Have you bought one of those trucks?
    finally test rode the g310gs - great urban small bike. It may not be the bike for me as it lack the top end to get me out of speeding commuter traffic and away from suburbia fast enough. There is a bike like that one above which is basically a four wheel drive truck that I have a secondary bid on it if the first falls through. it would be an excellent camper and HOV commuter. The tourtech bags could make it a mobile TV studio which might help me get around this here highly congested sprawl.

and here is my current rant.

So I am sitting here -essentially bikeless at home. My old BMW just arrived in Heidelberg and is sitting a warehouse for me but with my 17 year old son dragging his last month of his senior year, I had to cancel my May trip to Europe. My other bike is a basket case with little chance of being pulled together. One of my best buds keeps pestering me as he wants to go motorcycle camping and fishing in the gold fields. Since this is the wooden boat forum and making relevant to boat and bike owners- I am also standing near a boating precipice...contemplating how I could be wasting my money on installing a inboard on my boat but recognize it would be like flushing it down the scuppers as the boat needs to go on the block, and the value goes uneffected if I did a top notch job.... and God knows I am done paying for other people's future dream projects.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 04-30-2018 at 05:56 PM.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    Don't say anything bad about this one, kay.

Attachment 14933
    That one sure looks right to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    finally test rode the g310gs - great urban small bike. It may not be the bike for me as it lack the top end to get me out of speeding commuter traffic and away from suburbia fast enough. There is a bike like that one above which is basically a four wheel drive truck that I have a secondary bid on it if the first falls through. it would be an excellent camper and HOV commuter. The tourtech bags could make it a mobile TV studio which might help me get around this here highly congested sprawl.

and here is my current rant.

So I am sitting here -essentially bikeless at home. My old BMW just arrived in Heidelberg and is sitting a warehouse for me but with my 17 year old son dragging his last month of his senior year, I had to cancel my May trip to Europe. My other bike is a basket case with little chance of being pulled together. One of my best buds keeps pestering me as he wants to go motorcycle camping and fishing in the gold fields. Since this is the wooden boat forum and making relevant to boat and bike owners- I am also standing near a boating precipice...contemplating how I could be wasting my money on installing a inboard on my boat but recognize it would be like flushing it down the scuppers as the boat needs to go on the block, and the value goes uneffected if I did a top notch job.... and God knows I am done paying for other people's future dream projects.

That's a bummer, on multiple fronts.... with perhaps some opportunity with the big GS. A friend in Britain has bought the small GS. He works there six months a year as a mason, then rides six months a year in Thailand.... mapping remote areas - lots of farm trails, etc. He seems to like it, but he also rides a small bike in Asia.

I'm trying to move my Funduro on, then I'll re-register the Super Enduro.

Here's some old pics of a CB500/4 based chopper that was in a tattoo shop in Hua Hin (no - I didn't get tatt'd). I also saw it ride past the Celtic Bar when I was there... so it gets used. Unmistakable noise. I picked what it was when I heard it coming.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    That one sure looks right to me!
    It's like butter.

I found a couple more images of that CB500/4 chopper

I'm assuming this is an anti-theft device

It's about her size

But a tad low for me

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I found a couple more images of that CB500/4 chopper

I'm assuming this is an anti-theft device

It's about her size

But a tad low for me
    that ride appears to be more soft tail than hard tail.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

What the truck!

I assure you, Ted, that ain't no softtail. The bike, I mean...

(Interesting frame, BTW.)
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Saw an interesting scooter last night

lambo.jpg

It's a '79 Lambretta. The engine covers are off in that photo. Just brought in from the UK. Lots of added weight on it, but it looks the goods.

Re that lady... I looked up my ride report - lovely lady, I hope she's snaffled some nice guy by now. She was 36 yo then, with a 16 yo daughter back home. Her husband had racked off and she wasn't getting any support - a common story in Thailand. She'd been working in electronics assembly, making $300 a month. A month earlier (so she said) she'd gone to Hua Hin to work as a bar girl. I'd bought her a few drinks whilst playing pool - she makes a living through getting half the sales - and I organised to take her riding the next day, exploring north of the city. She was a good pillion and good company. And no... I didn't pay any "bar fines".

I did, however, buy her a pair of shoes whilst we were out shopping.

She's the woman who found me my pink trousers tailor.

A good looking brick.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

One of the good guys has died. TBR-Racing, as he was known on several forums, including the HUBB and ADV, died on a ride in Tibet. Details below from another forum

Butch passed away last week while on a ride with his beloved son Tyler in Tibet.

It is not believed that it was due to a crash because his bike was found upright on the side stand while he was laid down on the ground bleeding (no details on that) with his spot tracker in one hand.

The few details that I have are that Tyler got a tire puncture out in the middle of nowhere and Butch told him to wait while he went back to the van to get some tools or whatever. After more then an hour had passed Tyler road the puncture back to the van where he found his father laid out.

RIP Butch

Sounds like he died doing what he loved with a favourite son, in a beautiful place. I'd take a death like that...

RIP.

Test rode one on Saturday. I am smitten. Thought it was going to be extreme but turned to be the essence of fine modern cafe motorcycling.

Going to buy one, Ted?

Meanwhile....

Last edited by Rapelapente; 05-16-2018 at 05:30 AM.
    Gerard.
    SCHOONER FOR EVER, GOELETTE A PERPETE

http://www.schooner-anthea.com

Meanwhile, this Vincent was bought by an Aussie for $929,000 earlier this year

Story: http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/01/...ng-929000.html

2016. Now made in France

Gerard.
    SCHOONER FOR EVER, GOELETTE A PERPETE

http://www.schooner-anthea.com

Yah.

Well I have this to post.

image.jpg
    Seen in Bavaria at the weekend.

Going to buy one, Ted?

Meanwhile....

my rational side says I should buy this low mileage bike from 2004 for less than 2500. Comes with bags, 2 sets of wheels. An acquired color scheme but has huge sporty and touring adventure DNA (it shares much with the GS series that are RTW capable.)

A bike that that grows on you.

Scroll down to BMW vs Triumph vid....

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...C3%A9-racers-2

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    Scroll down to BMW vs Triumph vid....

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...C3%A9-racers-2
    those guys clearly picked the wrong bike as a way to favor the test toward the Triumph. The truimph they chose was thousands more than the base price bmw bike. the regular Triumph thruxston (without heated grips) made in Thailand list a starting price of 13000 in the US has a 12 month warranty. The BMW racer made in Germany with the remaining pieces of kraut areoplane engineered craftsmanship lists for 13225 (with heated grips) and a 36,000 3 year warranty. Moreover - Right off the bat, the stock pipe of the BMW sounds better and has a fit that the basic thruxton lacks. The ability to service the BMW in ones garage is still there making the ownership cheaper in the long run. One can see that the base bmw racer is the clear winner as compared to the base thruxton 1200 when it comes to build quality and long term ownership prospect (it is a heirloom to be passed down years from now.). There is another a bitter pill as Triumph dealerships are closing across in the US while BMW keeps selling their big GS bikes without discounts and further innovating the motorcycle industry for an expanding third world riders and older long time riders who see the value of the German brand.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 05-16-2018 at 12:27 PM.

I'm not trying to get into a 'which bike is better' spat with you Ted, but the comparison video said that the Triumph had

Better brakes
    Better suspension
    Better Handling
    Better ride position,
    Better overall distribution of power.
    Better / more suitable pipes sound for the type.
    Better build quality...the BMW is festooned with plastic, the T not.

...and the overall price if you look at same specs for the two bike is about even, at least in the UK where the bikes were tested.

Why do you assert the Thuxton R could not be maintained at home?

The BMW is a lovely looking, awesome in fact! The one thing in it's favour is higher top end speed. I'd have one except for the ride position which would kill me. I'm 6'4"... so probably the Thruxton R is out for me as well more's the pity, but I have no doubt that it is the Triumph that is that will become the heirloom; every review I have read raves about them, a classic updated for the times we live in now.

Triumph Thruxton R Track Racer Kit.jpg

images.jpg

I would ride either, but probably buy neither. No pocket rocket seat?

Hmmm.

Gotta have a pocket rocket to rub the back from time to time these days.

I like the Thruxton, way cool for a new bike.
    Grateful Dead

Yah.

Well I have this to post.

image.jpg
    Seen in Bavaria at the weekend.

I remember those. In the late 70's in SA the last word in 50cc bikes were Zundapp and Kreidler. I had a Yamaha RD 50 from age 16 (the youngest age you could legally get a license), and it did a credible job of keeping up with the German bikes. All two strokes, of course.

oooh spoked wheels! ^

IMG_1858.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Test rode one on Saturday. I am smitten. Thought it was going to be extreme but turned to be the essence of fine modern cafe motorcycling.

I like the colors. I have one of its ancestors...see above. I like the one you rode better as it will be easier to work on and lighter. I like mine too but it's heavy to a fault. I haven't ridden an R9T but I'd consider one if I was in the market although I'd consider a Triumph too. I haven't owned a new one of those yet. I think they're doing a good job. .
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

I'm not trying to get into a 'which bike is better' spat with you Ted, but the comparison video said that the Triumph had

Better brakes
    Better suspension
    Better Handling
    Better ride position,
    Better overall distribution of power.
    Better / more suitable pipes sound for the type.
    Better build quality...the BMW is festooned with plastic, the T not.

...and the overall price if you look at same specs for the two bike is about even, at least in the UK where the bikes were tested.

Why do you assert the Thuxton R could not be maintained at home?

The BMW is a lovely looking, awesome in fact! The one thing in it's favour is higher top end speed. I'd have one except for the ride position which would kill me. I'm 6'4"... so probably the Thruxton R is out for me as well more's the pity, but I have no doubt that it is the Triumph that is that will become the heirloom; every review I have read raves about them, a classic updated for the times we live in now.

Triumph Thruxton R Track Racer Kit.jpg

images.jpg
    No spat here. I have skewed ideas due to me working on the bikes on the sidewalk in a busy city. undoubtedly modern triumphs are good bikes
    And I agree you would look good on that Thruxton R. Heck of a sexy bike.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 05-17-2018 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    IMG_1858.jpg

I like the colors. I have one of its ancestors...see above. I like the one you rode better as it will be easier to work on and lighter. I like mine too but it's heavy to a fault. I haven't ridden an R9T but I'd consider one if I was in the market although I'd consider a Triumph too. I haven't owned a new one of those yet. I think they're doing a good job. .
    That stylish Boxercup is a great small batch release in the BMW brand. They should have been more popular than they were. It got shuffled between those who wanted a traditional boxer and a new era of sports riders.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 05-17-2018 at 06:07 PM.

You don't see many, sort of a plus 15 years on. I wanted an R1100S when they came out but never got one. This is the best expression of that bike imo. Also I wanted an oilhead because I'm comfortable working on them. I didn't reckon on how annoying the fairings are to work with. They've been holding their own in the market and have maintained a price premium over the standard 1100S so apart from consumables, it will probably be a relatively inexpensive bike to own, should I ever decide to sell. And it scratched an itch for me. Mine has 19000 miles and was beautifully maintained when I got it. I ride it when and where I want, no concerns. Very few issues except the well known requirement to replace the fuel tank's plastic quick disconnects. Just tires, gas, lube, oil, and easy valve adjustments . Brakes are easy too. Battery is a pain, but you don't do them often. A 100000 mile bike with 80000 left to ride and quite pleasant at speed. Heavy feeling around town, but better than my old K12RS.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 05-17-2018 at 07:16 PM.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by devout View Post
    I remember those. In the late 70's in SA the last word in 50cc bikes were Zundapp and Kreidler. I had a Yamaha RD 50 from age 16 (the youngest age you could legally get a license), and it did a credible job of keeping up with the German bikes. All two strokes, of course.

Double it up and you get a 100cc twin.

Grateful Dead

At the same time I owned a Yam YA6 rotary valve 125cc, a very nice little bike.

Grateful Dead

Did someone mention Yammie twins? I saw this one in Pakse, southern Laos a few years back

032fxgsdjhusrtut.jpg

Old mate was amused at the height of my bike. He'd have been in stitches if I'd had the Super Enduro there. I struggle to get both feet on the ground with it.

034dsryea56y45.jpg

Here's a good bike but I don't like the looks, a good bike though. XT550.

Grateful Dead