• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Steel
    • Dec 2011

Oar Length

Hey guys,

I am half way through a Nutshell Pram.

What size oars would be appropriate? Anything between 6 and 7 foot?

I am not going to be married to this boat. It is part of my learning process to make and sail boats, but I would like to have Oars that are in the ballpark of the correct length to make rowing comfortable.

As always, Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Respect and Peace
    Kelly F
  • Dusty Yevsky
    • Jun 2007

Re: Oar Length

Here's a guide for fitting oars from Shaw and Tenney http://www.shawandtenney.com/wooden-rowing-oars.htm

Comment

• Thorne
      Like my hat?
      • Aug 2005

Hmmm, lost my original post when the train went under the Bay. I like oars as long as possible, the only limiting factor being what will fit in the boat under the thwarts. Short oars are great for really rough water rowing, but seem like more work under the more usual conditions of flat to decent water.

I'd guess 7-8', and you can always trim 'em down if they prove too long. Another option is to borrow some oars and try various lengths under various conditions. Worth a search, LOTS of previous threads on this topic.

I find the internal Wooden Boat Forum search engine to be pretty limited, as it doesn't allow Boolean searches (tow +dinghy +bridle).
      Try Google's Advanced Search ( http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en ) . Just copy and paste the Forum's URL ( http://forum.woodenboat.com/) into the last field named "Search within a site or domain:", then put in search strings like "tow dinghy bridle" or whatever.
      "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
      Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Comment

• ahp
        • Jan 2001

[QUOTE=Blue Steel;3832851]Hey guys,

I am half way through a Nutshell Pram.

What size oars would be appropriate? Anything between 6 and 7 foot?

One and one half times the beam, where the oar locks are mounted. This probably the max beam, or close to it.

Comment

• Cuyahoga Chuck
          # 7727
          • Dec 2003

Half the distance between the oarlocks,
          Divided by 7
          Multiplied by 25
          Choose the next higher 6" increment for speed
          Choose the next lower 6" increment for pleasure
          The pivot point should always be at least 1" inboard of the oar's balance point.

From Shaw & Tenney, Orono, Maine.
          Last edited by Cuyahoga Chuck; 06-29-2013, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• Blue Steel
            • Dec 2011

Thanks again guys.

I appreciate your help.

Respect and Peace
            Kelly F

Comment

• Scott in WV
              • Jun 2011

I second the advice of borrowing oars. Use the formula as a starting place and adjust up or down in length to where it's not too hard to pull or too easy. In a light boat the formula tends to call for too short an oar. For a heavy boat it's probably pretty close. I use 9' oars in both my 14' light weight wherry and 18 1/2' whitehall which weighs about 3 times as much. They are easy to pull in the wherry, a little too long for the whitehall, even though both have the same beam. I'll probably cut a pair down to 8' for the whitehall.

Comment

• Thorne
                Like my hat?
                • Aug 2005

Also be aware that other factors come into play: height of oarlock to water, clearance between seat and handles, and your body size. A thin gel kayak cushion can help reduce the required clearance, but you won't know until you do some rowing. So wait and borrow oars before building if you can.
                "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
                Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Comment

Working...