Thread: Wiring advice for a reversing dc motor (like an anchor winch.)

Default Wiring advice for a reversing dc motor (like an anchor winch.)

But it's not an anchor winch, it's a pot puller (as in shrimp and crab pots) I'm putting on my 'non-wood' boat. It's a quality electric puller, made by ElectraDyne out on the east coast.

So here's a diagram they sent me to wire it up...

Looked fine, but then I noticed the fine print, about reversing the polarity at the motor to make it operate in reverse. As my old hydraulic puller worked both directions, I'm kind of use to that feature. It adds a bit of safety and convenience to the whole operation of pulling multiple pots on one long line.

So I'm trying to figure out the best way (without going into overkill) to wire it up to run both directions with out having to switch the leads at the motor.

I found these switches online...

...and it seems like one would work. It's actually not a switch, but acts like one when a real switch is wired into it.

Anyone have experience or advice with this sort of job?
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Default Re: Wiring advice for a reversing dc motor (like an anchor winch.)

all you need is a DPDT (double pull double throw) toggle switch. also called on/off/on switches. switch down = pot down, center = off, and up = pot up just get one rated for the current you'll be putting through it, and wire it up!
    Last edited by thedutchtouch; 06-27-2013 at 01:57 AM. Reason: i kant speel goot.
    -Justin

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    I appreciate craft as much as the next guy, but someone has had too much granola.

I'd check;
    The isolation of the windings from the motor frame
    The rated amperage for the switch - this might draw quite serious current.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    I'd check;
    why does this matter? i always thought DC motors don't care which direction the current goes through em?
    -Justin

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    I appreciate craft as much as the next guy, but someone has had too much granola.

We use this setup above on some truck mounted light crane winches, it's rated for continous 75Amps 12v.

The larger ones (Transfer truck drive motors) we use two Cole Hersey 12V solenoid relays rated 65A continuous, 750A intermmittent with two 50 amp push button switches (one forward, one reverse)

The type of switch sold for anchor winches would be fine with the appropriate relays.
    Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

Quote Originally Posted by thedutchtouch View Post
    why does this matter? i always thought DC motors don't care which direction the current goes through em?
    Some motors ground one end of the windings to the frame - fit a reversing switch and you have the potential for a dead short across the battery.

The instructions described by the OP suggest that this is not the case, but I'm a suspicious sort and would test it anyway.

How waterproof is this lump?

quickest and safest answer:

"MAY I PLEASE TALK TO SOMEBODY IN TECHNICAL SUPPORT"

Electra-Dyne Co., Inc.
    P.O. Box 1344
    Plymouth, MA 02362

tel: (508)746-3270
    fax: (508)747-4017
    email: mail@electra-dyne.com

I suspect you will use the same reversing switch used to reverse a two pole anchor windlass.
    Either a HI-CURRENT toggle or a solenoid.

West Marine: Windlass-Wiring
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...g#.UcvwJz54Zms

Lewmar Anchor Windlass install manual:
    http://www.lewmar.com/cms/assets/1/p...0%20manual.pdf
    Last edited by George Ray; 06-27-2013 at 09:17 AM.
    This is the first lesson ye should learn: There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us.
    E. Cayce

Good advice given in posts above.

Just a reminder: I see no circuit protection mentioned anywhere.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Breakaway... Very good observation... all circuits should always be adequately protected

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    I'd check;
    sounds like a good idea. Do I just check for continuity between each terminal and the case? I have a Fluke multimeter.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Good advice given in posts above.

Just a reminder: I see no circuit protection mentioned anywhere.

Kevin
    Another good point. I was told that the lobster fisherman don't run a circuit breaker. They feel the wires for excessive heat!

Me... I bought a Blue Seas fuse holder and a 80amp fuse which I will install about 12 inches from the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    sounds like a good idea. Do I just check for continuity between each terminal and the case? I have a Fluke multimeter.
    Yes - check that terminal to case is open circuit - V. High resistance - no need to use a megger as it's a low voltage device.

Okay, I checked, and it's good. No continuity between either terminal and the case. Of course there is continuity between terminals.

Got to admit, I didn't check the readout, I just used the beep function.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Your picture disappeared. But the reverse polarization switch you posted, and the one I posted, both have small terminals for connecting a control switch. They seem to be wired internally to the main power inputs. What I'm wondering, is if they are a much lower amp draw, and I could use say... 10ga wire or something small like that? The 100amp draw from the motor doesn't travel through there, right?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Your picture disappeared. But the reverse polarization switch you posted, and the one I posted, both have small terminals for connecting a control switch. They seem to be wired internally to the main power inputs. What I'm wondering, is if they are a much lower amp draw, and I could use say... 10ga wire or something small like that? The 100amp draw from the motor doesn't travel through there, right?
    The picture is a link to the vendor with a schematic and a switch recommendation. I'll guess the control wires could be as small as 16 Gauge

Best device to effect reverse of a dc motor is with a "drum switch"...they can be cycled many thousand times without damage to the switch, and will handle the loads imposed well. and in MHMO has a nautical air about it.

Warning! Non-wood boat images follow!

So, I've got the puller mounted an wired, but not with a reverse polarizing switch yet.

But it's nice enough for awhile...

That was my first test pull, on some pots I'd just set. I didn't pull them all the way up. Just wanted to make sure the sheave was the right width to grip the line, and that the rope splitter was set up right. It will feed line right into a tub without any need for me to guide it in (within reason of course.)

The motor and gearbox are much bigger than the saf-t-puller...

I used 4 guage wire from the battery to the motor. Routed the main length through some 1" clear tubing to reduce any chaffing. Also used a regular plastic thru-hull fitting...

Have some extra wire coiled up for now, as I intend to add a plug so I can remove the puller without undoing the terminal nuts...

Also that's an inline Blue Seas fuse holder and 100amp fuse.

I'm worried about heat build up in the wires inside the plastic tubing. We live in a very mild place, so I'm just going to monitor it for now. If they start to heat up after multiple pulls, I'll start by drilling lots of ventilation holes in the tubing. If that's not enough, I'll cut away all the tubing except where it passes though the aluminum.

Sure has added some much need room to the boat. Plus it's quiet.

Nice.
    I'd be more concerned about heat build up at that coil more than anywhere.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Williamson View Post
    Nice.
    I'd be more concerned about heat build up at that coil more than anywhere.
    R
    Yeah, but a nice coil of high current conductor like that makes the compass do such interesting things. :-) Luckily, one generally is not looking at the compass when pulling pots.

If the wire gets hot, its b/c of too much resistance( too small wire gauge, a bad connection, corrosion, etc). You rigging tube wont be the culprit.

Kevin

ETA: I'd put a boot on the positive connection terminal at the motor: will prevent a short, arcing from happening by accident.

K
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

you could nix the plastic tubing for alum. conduit. I don't know what type of insulation you're dealing with, but 3/4" conduit at a minimum...but if you need it to resist side impact forces more better...1> 1.5" installing a plug might make it easier for you to pull the gear, but will also introduce a place where corrosion can work it's worse (and it will )
    Last edited by the_gr8t_waldo; 06-29-2013 at 03:12 PM.

The payoff...

For a cheap but somewhat bulky solution, you might consider getting the solenoid setup from an old OMC inboard / outboard. They used a 2 solenoid setup to power the tilt function and a second setup for trim if the boat was so equipped. They should be plentiful as a lot of these old rigs are being scrapped.

If you want to get real fancy, cruise the web for a high current H-bridge. This will be a semiconductor gizmo that will give you variable speed forward and reverse with a little dial like a stereo volume control knob. They make these circuits for the crazy battle robot competitions. You can buy kits to solder yourself, or pre built. I dunno about the salt air, maybe you could pot the whole thing in solid epoxy to keep the corrosion away?