Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neil Youngs Boat.......San Francisco?

Im currently reading Neil Youngs biography. He is from my home town in Canada. I,ve read that he sails out of San Francisco. Does anyone know anything about his boat ?? Maybe David Crosby sails out of the same port also. I knew he had a "Wooden Ship" on the water at one time.

[ 01-04-2003, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: Northernguy59 ]
    \"The strength of a man is not measured on what he must have, it\'s measured on what he can do without\"

Living a beautiful life... FREE FREE AT LAST!!

Neil Youngs got a wooden boat??? AND hes Canadian too??? MAN I AM LIKEIN THIS FELLA MORE AND MORE!!

{actually Ive liked his music for quiet a few years like 25 odd! } but I didnt know he was a Canadian... sheeesh you fellas spit out some good musicians must be the frozen wastes eh?

You watch someones gonna tell me soon that Neil Diamonds a Canadian too and that will freak me out!

Shane
    .................................................. ...................
    Nil illegitimi carborundum = Never let the bastards wear you down

Wild, An 800 page biograhpy just came out about Neil. Interesting guy.Cant say the neil Diamonds a Canadian but heres a few nore. Joni Mitchell, Robbie Roberston, Rick Danko, Garth Hudson (The Band) Gordon Lightfoot, Bryan Adams, Ian Tyson, Murry McLauglin just to name a few and all from my home town. Makes a guy proud to be a canuck
    \"The strength of a man is not measured on what he must have, it\'s measured on what he can do without\"

I read several years ago that David
    Crosby had let his boat go to wreck
    and ruin.

That's where they found him hiding
    when he was arrested and sentenced to
    jail for drugs.

Hey Mike,

I heard that also but he got his life clean and Im thinking I heard that he still had his boat. I saw a show about him once and it showed his boat. It looked like a nice boat and Id love to hear what it was and what happened to it. Im a fan of both these guys and have been for a long time.

Yeah, I know he got clean. He kicked
    heroin addiction cold turkey in prison.

I forget the name of the book I read
    but it was a story of his life.

Wouldn't be current now.

I've always thought Stephen Stills was the sailor in CSNY. He wrote and sang the song "Southern Cross" one of my favorites and one of Roger S. favorites too. "Spirits are using me,larger voices calling" is a line from that song in Roger's signature. David Crosby has been clean and sober for quite some time I understand so maybe he's back to sailing as well. They are a fantastic band that I saw in Cleveland,OH. back in the early 70's at the old Cleveland Stadium's "World Series of Rock" and Neil was with them then. Those were definately the good old days.

Peace----> Kevin in Ohio

I saw em here in Memphis back in the
    late 80's. Great concert!

Northern Guy is Burtin Cummings (sp) from your home town?
    I'm guessing Winnipeg Manitoba right.? Guess Who!

Hey I read that autobiography of David Crosby!
    some life that dude lived...

The name of his boat is the "Mayan" shes a 60' Alden schooner.

Befor his life came completely unglued he left the boat in Mexico or Florida (I think), anyway he pretty much forgot about it for a couple years untill after he got out of the slammer. Only after his few close friends that he had left where comfortable that he was serious about staying clean did they reveal that they secretly kept up the storage bills on his behalf. When he was finally reunited with his beautifull Mayan, he discoverd she was picked over over and trashed pretty badly while she lay idle.

He came thru the C and D canal here on the Chesapeake a few years back. He and the Myan looked very good at the time. Hope he stays healthy..

Thanks for that info Mike V. [img]smile.gif[/img] David Crosby is a survivor for sure. I am very glad to hear he didn't loose his boat. Any chance you know where to find a picture of "Mayan" or could you possibly post one on this thread?
    Peace----> Kevin in Ohio

Bat,

Toronto is Neils home town not Winterpeg. He did live there after his parents where divoreced and thats where he really got into music and playing guitar along with....... Randy Bauchman..... Guess Who Fame. Randy was his guitar mentor and thats where Neil started to use the Gretsch guitar just like Randys. I saw them in 1974 at Varsity Stadeum in Toronto with The Band, CSNY and Bob Dylan. I think it was JJ Cale that opened for them. What a concert.

I remember now Davids boat was the Mayan. I didnt know it was an Alden. Thanks and I am glad he still has it. Id sure like to know what Neils boat is. I have a picture in my mind what he sails and would like to confirm that. Hes a cool guy. Awesome lyrics and deadly guitar player.

oh, Im from Toronto and I just bought a place outside of Thunder Bay Ontario after 11 years in the USA. Stephen Stills and Neil met in Fort William which is now Thunder Bay back in 1964. Theres alot of stories around that area about Neil and his old band "The Squires".

[ 01-05-2003, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Northernguy59 ]

Thanks Donn, damn you're fast.

Thanks Donn,

Your swell

I did a Goggle search and found this interesting artical.
    http://www.alpha.nl/CSN/crosbypress.html#ship

[ 01-05-2003, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Northernguy59 ]

Sorry it's taken a while to get back to the forum. Niel Youngs boat, a converted Baltic Trader (I think), has been moored for many years in Mystery Bay near Port Townsend. Friends have been aboard and I had a great time talking with a guy who crewed with him many times. It is reputed to have an interior built mostly from materials salvaged from the Fillmore East when it was closed. I know I've got a pic of it around here somewhere but exactly where is the question. I'll try to find it and post it.

Jamie

Thanks for the information Jamie, Id love to see some photos and hear more about her.

Mayan looked pretty fine when we saw her in Santa Barbara, although we didn't get real close. Late fall of '97.

Shania Twain, Crash Test Dummies, Alanis Nadine Morissette, Shania Twain............
    Wayne
    Somewhere in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    The Straight of Georgia looks big.
    http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ven...isabeth+Grace/
    http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/venchka/

We dont claim Shania any longer ...........

I always liked the story about Neil Young going into testify on behalf of his younger brother on a pot possession charge.... got on the stand and proceeded to tell the judge that he smoked pot all his life, among other things, and that he figured he hadn't really failed at his career.. so what the hey was the problem? Hehehehe... The judge was not impressed, and told Mr Young he was not a good example for youth etc...
    Wooden boats are like shingles, recurring, and often painful.

Most Young people have no idea who the hell Neil Young is ,so that arguement wouldn't hold up in court today. I've been smokin pot all my life too and I'm just fine....twich, twitch,cough,snort....drool....ack!
    Peace---> Kevin in Ohio

I asked two young people in this household ,15 and 18 .They both knew he is a singer
    Mind you they are Canucks ,neither knew he had a wooden boat though

[ 01-08-2003, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: BATMAT ]

Young's an interesting guy. Has a long-standing interest in model railroading, and invented some interesting control devices (wireless, programmable). In the early 90's he formed a partnership with Lionel trains, called Liontech, to do R & D work for Lionel. In 1995 he bought the whole company--a rock star owning Lionel! Dunno if he still owns it though....

Upon further research I found out that Neils boat is a 101' Schooner built in 1901. Its called the W.N.Ragland. I,m not sure where he sails out of.

I can't let this thread of boats and Canadian guitarists go without bringing up Bruce Cockburn, I don't know if he has a boat or not but his music sure sails.

Originally posted by Northernguy59:
    Its called the W.N.Ragland. I,m not sure where he sails out of.
    Northernguy59......Jamie thinks it's Mystery Bay in Port Towsend. Hopefully he'll find his picture and post it.
    [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Peace---> Kevin in Ohio

Thumbs up

Well whaddya know, I found the picture I took in '97 of Neil's boat. Now we'll see if I can get the photo posting spirits to smile on me. OK, here goes (he looks to the sky and rolls the dice).

Yahoo!!! I think that's the first time it's ever worked for me.

This is moored in Mystery Bay, which is part of a large bay that I can't think of the name of.(Quilliutte Bay?) It lies between Indian Island and Marrowstone Island across the water from Port Townsend. It's a bit of an excersise in careful channel following to get in there, but it's truly one of the prettiest and most secure anchorages in Puget Sound

Enjoy folks.
    Jamie

....another great Canadian guitarist, Collin James

Let me just put the thread over on another tack. I've loved Neil Young and all the other folks mentioned. But let me introduce you all to two other Canadians whose music you might love given your tastes. Evans and Doherty are acoustic musicians who recently did a CD of traditional sailing songs that I think is exceptional. I first heard it on the ferry from Digby, Nova Scotia to St. John, New Brunswick and was struck by the soul in it. Check it out.

http://www.evansanddoherty.com/songs.htm
    Ed

Cool

To bring the thread back to the boat, I just showed the picture to a friend of mine that said that the boat is now in Hawaii supposedly being refitted for a sail training program funded by Neil. It sounds like a wonderful use for a boat that size (and like a great vacation, where do I sign up ).

Jamie

[ 01-15-2003, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Jamie Hascall ]

Jamie,,,,,,,,,, why can I not see the photo?

Jamie's pic:

Thanks, Jamie and Donn. She's a beauty. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Peace----> Kevin in Ohio