Thread: Sailboard Plans?

Default Sailboard Plans?

The small (plywood) sailboats I have built sometimes make me wish for greater speed. So I searched for (plywood) sailboard plans. Trouble is, I can't find any. Well, I do have Phil Bolger's Dynamite Sailboard plans in the Payson book "Build the New Instant Boats." But that's all, and those plans date from about 1980. Have no plans been published since then - for amateur builders, that is?

Default Re: Sailboard Plans?

Well this goes back even further than Bolger so I add it here for interest more than anything. I had the great pleasure of sailing one of these, or something very similar, that a friend of mine made in the days before sailboards emerged. Thank you for your post, it rekindled a nice memory.

http://atkinboatplans.com/Sail/Skimmer.html

There are plans and kits for wooden surfboards and for wooden stand up paddle boards, so it seems it would be easy to adapt one or the other, or at least the building method, for a wooden sail board (assuming you are referring to a Windsurfer-type sailboard).

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Palmer View Post
    There are plans and kits for wooden surfboards and for wooden stand up paddle boards, so it seems it would be easy to adapt one or the other, or at least the building method, for a wooden sail board (assuming you are referring to a Windsurfer-type sailboard).
    Thank you, but the Bolger plan looks better to me than something adapted from another type of board. I presume Bolger would have thought about sailing - not wave-surfing or paddling - when designing the board and rig.

By the way... I thought "windsurfer" is just another name for a sailboard, just a bit cooler perhaps. Is there a difference? I mean, are there sailboards that are not "Windsurfer-type"?

Windsurfer was a brand of sail board that became the common name for the type, like Band-Aid and Kleenex.

If you ask Michael Storer nicely, he might still have the plans for a raceboard he designed quite some time ago, I asked him about it and he still had the plans then. If you read up on his website regarding the Russki surfski,he refers to the sailboard there, which is how I found out about it.
    Be aware though that a 1980's raceboard would be quite long, around 3,7m, and be very technical to sail, being fairly narrow for it's length, and would typically be fitted with between 9 and 11 footstraps, a sliding mast track, and a centreboard retracting into the hull.
    It will be fast though, with a modern rig, expect 28-30knots downwind speeds, from a beam reach to a broad reach. They also go upwind well, just don't try sailing one dead downwind.
    These boards are not ideal for beginners.

If you're after something more modern, just copy a Formula raceboard, they are quite an easy shape to duplicate, are flat-bottomed (mostly) and wide so are easy to learn on, and are also really quick upwind and downwind, but they don't like beam-reaching much. They have no centreboard but use a large fin to go upwind. (so they should be easier to build).
    Whichever direction you choose, unfortunately you will not match the weight of boards produced in carbon fibre on foam blanks. My slalom board, 212cm x 77cm wide, is 6kg.

These guys do some nice stand up paddle boards that have a windsurfer conversion kit option available.

http://woodsurfboardsupply.com/

Sorry for for the late response. This might be a winter project for me. I can build it in the basement. The fireball is just about done so. . . . . I’ve been carrying the plans with me and looking them over. It looks like a fun car topper, easy to set up. Anyone here have any experience with this design, or can you recommend something similar?

http://earwigoagin.blogspot.com/2016...or-sit-on.html

Last edited by CK 17; 10-06-2018 at 09:03 AM.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Just a small step beyond a sail board is the very versatile and fast sailing boat the Malibu Outrigger. It was first built in 1949 by Warren Seaman who went on to design some amazing big ocean going catamarans in conjunction with my friend Rudy Choy, This is a boat that was and still is extremely popular with the S. California surfing crowd. Even Hobie Alter had one and I sailed one with Alan Rypinski the great land yacht skipper and designer.
    Compact and easy to pack on a car roof the boat is built of plywood and simple to construct in the home garage. In fact, it was the length of the original builders garage that made the length of the main hull eighteen feet ten inches which allowed the garage door to shut. This is a boat that can be surfed and one that is very thrilling to sail because of the speeds it can attain. Simple to build, maintain and sail, The Malibu Outrigger Canoe is a real winner!
    Jay
    http://outriggersailingcanoes.blogsp...outrigger.html
    http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/.../outrigger.htm
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 10-06-2018 at 12:41 PM.