Thread: Sparkman & Stephens / Lawley Weekender 35 Build #1135, 1938

Default Sparkman & Stephens / Lawley Weekender 35 Build #1135, 1938

Just a note; With what I have learned in the past week I wanted to restart the thread with the correct name and year built

Today 6/14/13 I take possession of this boat... I have been talking with the owner for 3 years. This boat has spent most of it's life in a barn. For the last 25 years it has been in the same one... On the same trailer... This really was a boat I was hoping not to touch until finished my Herrshoff H28... But the property was sold and the boat was going to be cut up or left outside... I couldn't see that happening...

Built by Lawley. It has spent it's life in the great lakes. I have not tracked down the history... I hope to... I found a Lawley online posting stating that it didn't have a name at build... And there is no name now....

There is a plague inside stating build #1135. One of 39 built from 1937-39
    35 ft, 9-1/2 Ft Beam, 5-1/2Ft draft
    Mostly built of White Oak Frames, floors
    Cedar deck covered in a canvas
    Mahogany planking

The front half of the craft is in good shape and the star board side looks pretty good... And those were most of photos that have been published... Oh but look at the port side... Just a bit of a hole aft and no prop shaft. Matter of fact... No cockpit and the frames are rotted... The horn timber, while all there is a pattern piece only. Inside... It is nothing but a large hole... The engine, galley, bunks are all gone. Well I should not say gone... just a large pile of pieces. The frames are all broke or rotted from mid to aft. However they are all there... The floors are all there. Some are rotted a bit... but will make fine patterns. An interesting point. The steel bolts are rusty but not rusted to ruin. All the mahogany planking that is still there, is pretty solid. Fastened with bronze screws. The wiring is all cloth covered. There are no instruments. And most of the hardware is somewhere... The engine... is a 4 cyl Gray Marine missing at least the ignition system... I don't know if the engine has any value at all. Don't know if it is frozen. I certainly wouldn't want to be out on the big pond with such an aged engine...

The first task is to move it to a new building... Then recombining 4 different locations of parts storage (I'm hoping some parts didn't grow legs). The plan at this time is to store it again dry... Then Next winter start to bring her back to life...

Default Re: Sparkman & Stephens / Lawley Weekender 35 Build #1135, 1938

I find it very interesting to delve into the History of something... Hopefully my piecing this all together helps another...

This is from the S&S blog... Someone else from WBF was kind enough to point me to it.
    Design #208
    Principal Dimensions
    LOA 35'-1"
    LWL 27'-0"
    Beam 9'-6"
    Draft 5'-7"
    Displacement 16,210 lbs
    Ballast 6,750 lbs
    Sail Area 596 sq ft

"This design is the earliest example of a "stock" design for mass market appeal that I can find in our archives. The plans list an alternate "light air rig" with masthead rig and bowsprit. Introduced in 1937, 39 boats were built by George Lawley & Sons of Neponset, Massachusetts, with owners coming from New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Maine, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Virginia, Washington D.C. and Texas. It's a nice looking and practical boat. I can't find a record of what these boats sold for back in '37. My guess is to build this boat today of wood would cost ~$450,000."

Images Courtesy Mystic Seaport

I'm glad you put some pics in there. When I first scanned the title of the thread, my tired eyes idly picked out "Stephens(on)" and "Weekender", and I am most gratified to discover that it's actually about a nice boat instead.

Nothing in those pics looks too far gone to me if you've got the will and the gumption to knock her back into shape. Good on you!

Most definitely get rid of that Graymarine and the old fashioned wiring and replace em with one of the modern nifty lightweight diesels like the Beta or Vetus and new marine wiring to ABYC standards. No reason to go to the trouble to rebuild her just to set her on fire when you're done.
    If this post did not meet all of your needs, please consult this thread for more options.

A few more wonderful pictures.... What is interesting is that the farther forward you go in this boat... the better the shape... When you get in the V birth it is a time capsule...

Oh yes... Once I start on this... it will be a total rebuild... I will keep her original flavor while making it a very stylish modern craft...

Todays goal is to move her to a safe place... Get all the parts inventoried and then. Next winter start... It's in West Michigan if there are any members that are close by (and wish to help)...

Welcome to the S&S owner's family Hope you enjoy your project . Bob

Kudos. A big project but it sounds like you know what you are getting into. She really is a very pretty little boat. You may know this but Van Ness Engineering used to build out those Graymarines. He's a good guy. Rebuilding mine now.

Another thread I will be watching!
    Chuck Thompson

1955 18' Chris Craft Continental
    1950 30' Chris Craft Express
    1955 Concordia Yawl #26 (under restoration)

^+1

Cool! Looks like a lot of the bungs have been removed as well, which saves work.
    “For masterpieces are not single and solitary births; they are the outcome of many years of thinking in common, of thinking by the body of the people, so that the experience of the mass is behind the single voice.” Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

You DO know what you are getting into, right?
    She may be more work and money than starting anew.
    bruce

She's kept her shape well considering, bilges look clean at least. That life raft is a real vintage item. What's the state of her frames?

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    You DO know what you are getting into, right?
    She may be more work and money than starting anew.
    bruce
    I appreciate the concern of the cost verses value... The boat though rough looking is very solid... And to have such a build history and a survival history... It begs to find a foolish soul to once again make her a graceful craft...

These links should answer anyone's question of... Am I foolish.. Or do I know what I'm getting into...
    http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24327200

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/22594193

This is my current project
    Last edited by Foolish...; 06-16-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Sooooo--Yes you are foolish, and yes, you know what you are getting into!
    Chuck Thompson

So yesterday was the big move... Found the mast in the rafters... 57 plus foot long... and several other parts... from 3-4 locations... and inventoried... I found out a couple of things... The boat had actually been in this barn since 1983... 30 years!!! All went very smooth until about 2 miles into move. Then BOOM and BOOM again... the report rang out and we lost the roundness in two tires... So we spent the afternoon under the shade of the boat on a beautiful day... within a mile of food and drink waiting for repairs... Called a tire company and they were kind enough to "Rent" me a pair of semi wheels and tires for 7 miles.

She traveled well by land... Never twisted, no parts fell by the wayside...By evening all the parts and the craft were reunited in a quiet barn...Safe once again...

And if the pictures don't flip side ways again... you will see the boat is shifted a bit on the trailer... No worries as in a couple of day the trailer will be removed...

We dug though boxes, admired the discoveries (The 1960's/70's radio and instruments were interesting... I think even in working condition),and except for some line and some yet to be found blocks... (And the engine that the seller would not give up), All the hardware is there... Just waiting to be put into service...

And of course once the day was done... we sat and admired and hoisted a few to a days tough work...

Very little will progress will happen now until next winter at least...
    Last edited by Foolish...; 06-15-2013 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramillett View Post
    Welcome to the S&S owner's family Hope you enjoy your project . Bob

Wow that a beautiful boat... I don't recognize that portion though... is that a cockpit?... LOL... I found a 1983 boat survey and in digging though parts... Apparently all I have are the comb's

Lack of cockpit I'm going threw the same stage

What a great boat! I love the wide side decks. Same design and builder as Ed Harrow's Phoenix. Have you seen his posts here? Looking forward to following this project.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    What a great boat! I love the wide side decks. Same design and builder as Ed Harrow's Phoenix. Have you seen his posts here? Looking forward to following this project.

Steven
    I've got a note into Ed, Long time ago I had approached him about his boat and what he might be able to tell me about mine...

Next Saturday we are going to cut the trailer out from under this boat... Making the project 20" shorter...

Following that... Other than research, parts searching and planning... This project is going to get quiet until at least winter...

That is a lot of boat to move on that trailer! I think you maxed your towing capacity too. You are braver than I. How far did you have to go?

Awesome work space you got there.
    Chuck Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by chuckt View Post
    That is a lot of boat to move on that trailer! I think you maxed your towing capacity too. You are braver than I. How far did you have to go?

Awesome work space you got there.
    I had two professional movers walk away due to the poorly built trailer. Tremendous amount of tongue weight... And the way the trailer was built. The bottom of the keel was 24" off the ground. We only had to go 9 miles. Kept to the back roads at 15 mph... so as not to cause trouble... A buddy pulled the boat with his 1 ton... And the way the hitch was set up... It set the tongue near the ground... before the over loading tongue weight.

The frame of the trailer is very solid... But how the axle is positioned and mounted and the tongue design... Makes the trailer useless. It will going to the scrap yard.

Aaaahhh but it has been a good story to tell. The boat is stored... Plans are being made... Sorting though boxes... Reveling in the "new to me" craft...
    Last edited by Foolish...; 06-17-2013 at 07:54 AM.

[QUOTE=Foolish...;3821571]Just a note; With what I have learned in the past week I wanted to restart the thread with the correct name and year built

Today 6/14/13 I take possession of this boat... I have been talking with the owner for 3 years. This boat has spent most of it's life in a barn. For the last 25 years it has been in the same one... On the same trailer... This really was a boat I was hoping not to touch until finished my Herrshoff H28... But the property was sold and the boat was going to be cut up or left outside... I couldn't see that happening...

Built by Lawley. It has spent it's life in the great lakes. I have not tracked down the history... I hope to... I found a Lawley online posting stating that it didn't have a name at build... And there is no name now....

There is a plague inside stating build #1135. One of 39 built from 1937-39
    35 ft, 9-1/2 Ft Beam, 5-1/2Ft draft
    Mostly built of White Oak Frames, floors
    Cedar deck covered in a canvas
    Mahogany planking

The front half of the craft is in good shape and the star board side looks pretty good... And those were most of photos that have been published... Oh but look at the port side... Just a bit of a hole aft and no prop shaft. Matter of fact... No cockpit and the frames are rotted... The horn timber, while all there is a pattern piece only. Inside... It is nothing but a large hole... The engine, galley, bunks are all gone. Well I should not say gone... just a large pile of pieces. The frames are all broke or rotted from mid to aft. However they are all there... The floors are all there. Some are rotted a bit... but will make fine patterns. An interesting point. The steel bolts are rusty but not rusted to ruin. All the mahogany planking that is still there, is pretty solid. Fastened with bronze screws. The wiring is all cloth covered. There are no instruments. And most of the hardware is somewhere... The engine... is a 4 cyl Gray Marine missing at least the ignition system... I don't know if the engine has any value at all. Don't know if it is frozen. I certainly wouldn't want to be out on the big pond with such an aged engine...

The first task is to move it to a new building... Then recombining 4 different locations of parts storage (I'm hoping some parts didn't grow legs). The plan at this time is to store it again dry... Then Next winter start to bring her back to life...

[/HTQUOTE]

Hello new owner of S/S Weekender,
    I have a Sparkman Stephens 35 ft Weekender built by George Lawley on my farm near Lexington, Michigan. It is sitting on a trailer and has not
    been in the water for a long time. The mast is in the barn. I have hopes of getting the boat into the barn eventually. Presently I am getting
    ready to head back to the west coast and Mexico where I have a John Alden 64 ft steel ketch. I am glad to see someone taking an interest in
    another Weekender. This is one of the best balanced sailboat I ever sailed. A true joy to sail. I could trim the sails and forget the tiller.
    jdlum@gmail.com