Thread: What should I do with this boat?

Default What should I do with this boat?

I have sitting in my boatyard the boat in the back of this picture, PT-3. It is falling to pieces and nobody seems to want it. Its the oldest pt boat left, and really it should be preserved, but I don't have the money or time to do anything with it. I have the title for it because the owner didn't seem to want to do anything with it, and wouldn't pay for storage.

So, unless I can find someone to take it I am going to have to cut it up and put it in a dumpster.

Any ideas?
    Fish and ships or is that chips

Default Re: What should I do with this boat?

Make a bar out of the transom.

====

Perhaps a military museum might have more interest than a maritime museum.
    Steve Martinsen

Maybe a call to this group:http://www.ptboats.org/ can get the ball rolling.

Take Care,
    Mike

Can we see some photos of it as it is now?

Quote Originally Posted by M. J. Notigan View Post
    Maybe a call to this group:http://www.ptboats.org/ can get the ball rolling.

Take Care,
    Mike
    Interesting. Says here http://www.ptboats.org/20-06-05-boatdata-001.html that PT 3 was a development / experimental boat built by Fisher Body Works.
    Last edited by kc8pql; 06-11-2013 at 08:27 AM.

Is there some Hollywood prop lot that would want a PT boat? Why not just throw a listing out on Craig's List or eBay. You never know who is in the market. Maybe the band "LMFAO" would like it as a party barge. For example. didn't John Wayne convert a decommissioned mine countermeasures vessel into a motor cruiser? I really hope you can save her. As a child, someone pulled a WW-2 Spitfire fighter from a field not far from our home and the media covered her restoration at a local war museum. She eventually became airworthy and performed at many local shows. I would love to see people's faces at a marina when the restored PT-3 cruises past. I would pay $15 to take a short cruise or $30 go whale watching from a restored PT boat.
    Last edited by capefox; 06-11-2013 at 10:12 AM.

Think of the fishing Larks could get done with one of those!

http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/05003.htm

edit: picture isn't showing (they may block hotlinks), but follow the link above and there's some pics from last year.
    Last edited by cprinos; 06-11-2013 at 11:28 AM.
    Building a Core Sound 17 (Part I, Part II)

The real question is, "Are the original engines in her?" The original engines would be of some value as historical artifacts, certainly. As the saying goes, "They were expendable." While an early developmental design would be most interesting (and should be fully documented by a qualified marine archaeologist/historian before demolition), the fact is that they weren't ever built to last, but rather were expected to have rather short lifespans. The biggest drawback to owning one is the cost of operation. They consumed huge amounts of aviation gasoline to feed the massive engines required to get the hulls up on plane. Operating one at its original capacity today would be like tearing up $100 bills as fast as you can. There was a reason the Navy simply ran all the PT boats they had left up on the beach and burned them at the end of the war. They weren't worth bringing home. Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    The real question is, "Are the original engines in her?" The original engines would be of some value as historical artifacts, certainly. As the saying goes, "They were expendable." While an early developmental design would be most interesting (and should be fully documented by a qualified marine archaeologist/historian before demolition), the fact is that they weren't ever built to last, but rather were expected to have rather short lifespans. The biggest drawback to owning one is the cost of operation. They consumed huge amounts of aviation gasoline to feed the massive engines required to get the hulls up on plane. Operating one at its original capacity today would be like tearing up $100 bills as fast as you can. There was a reason the Navy simply ran all the PT boats they had left up on the beach and burned them at the end of the war. They weren't worth bringing home. Sad but true.
    Salvage what you can. Forty years ago there were a few in the Alawai (sp?) marina in Hawaii which had been converted to house boats. They have probably all fallen apart by now. WWII Pt boats like LSTs, LSMs and destroyers were not built to last. Their life was expected to be very short.

I suggest you Contact Boneyard Boats, David Irving, and provide as much historical information and photography as you can. He does an excellent job of finding homes for needy wooden craft. Wooden Boat Magazine does the "save a Classic" article in the back of each issue as well. Again, the more photographs and information the better. Pics here may help as well...

Quote Originally Posted by ahp View Post
    Salvage what you can. Forty years ago there were a few in the Alawai (sp?) marina in Hawaii which had been converted to house boats. They have probably all fallen apart by now. WWII Pt boats like LSTs, LSMs and destroyers were not built to last. Their life was expected to be very short.
    So this boat may be more at home as a static display in a museum rather than operated in the harsh outdoor/marine environment? Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by capefox View Post
    So this boat may be more at home as a static display in a museum rather than operated in the harsh outdoor/marine environment? Makes sense.

There is a marine museum in Buffalo NY that houses a battle ship and some smaller vessels. I believe they have a PT boat in unrestored condition on the property as well. They may want another or know a facility that does.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    The real question is, "Are the original engines in her?"
    Engine room

It doesn't have the original engines, the pics at the link above are pretty current. The boat is in horrendous shape, its literally falling apart. We are a pretty poor boatyard, there are only 3 of us full time and I hired two additional people just for the summer because we are doing a huge project at the moment. I have a guy who will take it and put it in a building so that it doesn't get destroyed, but he doesn't have the money to move it, and I can't afford it either, it would be cheaper to cut it up.

Its a shame

Steve Martinsen

I have a hard time believing that there isn't a museum that wants that boat. Have you talked to the Mariner's Museum in Newport News, for example? How about the Navy itself or the academy in Annapolis? It belongs in a collection somewhere.
    Everybody has a right to be stupid, but some people abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    I have a hard time believing that there isn't a museum that wants that boat. Have you talked to the Mariner's Museum in Newport News, for example? How about the Navy itself or the academy in Annapolis? It belongs in a collection somewhere.

I will spend some time calling around to all the places mentioned in this thread.

Try these folks they have a few PT boats.
    http://www.battleshipcove.org/

Try these guys in Kingston, NY, on the Hudson. They might have an interest although it looks like they're selling one of their boats, so maybe not. I think it would be worth asking.

http://fleetobsolete.org/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Crazer View Post
    Try these guys in Kingston, NY, on the Hudson. They might have an interest although it looks like they're selling one of their boats, so maybe not. I think it would be worth asking.
    l
    Looks like these guys actually do at least some restoration:
    http://fleetobsolete.org/files/Press_release_PT_48_12-15-08.pdf

PT-3 looks to be in better shape than the one they want to sell, PT-48.

Last edited by kc8pql; 06-12-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cprinos View Post
    http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/05003.htm

edit: picture isn't showing (they may block hotlinks), but follow the link above and there's some pics from last year.
    Nice link, I had a friend that bought 6 of the Pratt & Whitney engines, brand new, still in cosmoline, that these PT boats were powered with in hopes of finding one like this to restore, sadly he passed away 5 years ago.....
    "If you can't find the time to do it right, where will you find the time to do it over?"