Thread: Venture 21 Refurbish

Default Venture 21 Refurbish

Going to get the boat from the property today! And so it begins, I have a lot of great ideas for the boat, and Kelley's Island coming up in late July!

Default Re: Venture 21 Refurbish

Is that a Macgregor Venture? While I encourage whatever gets you on the water, I'd suggest any money you invest in refurbishing any Macgregor is lost money. Of course that could be said of most boats, but polishing a sow's ear just gives you a shiny ear.
    Fast enough to get there,
    But slow enough to see.
    Not known for predictability!

Good for you nickres. Reminds me of a friend of mine that bought an old San Juan 21. He fixed it up and sailed it around for years and had a blast with it. Hope you have as much fun refurbishing and sailing your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by mackaye View Post
    Good for you nickres. Reminds me of a friend of mine that bought an old San Juan 21. He fixed it up and sailed it around for years and had a blast with it. Hope you have as much fun refurbishing and sailing your boat.
    Thanks guys! Yeah it really is a great boat, we actually got it last summer and did the bare neccessities to get her sea-worthy. Now that school is out though, i'd really like to invest time (don't worry im a cheapo and won't be spending big bucks) and make it cozy and livable. Plus, we have a big trip going up to Kelley's Island for a week in July and i'd like for the family to be able to enjoy it as much as I do (i just love the sailing and could care less about the comfort, but when you have a whole family of aunts uncles and cousins I want people to be able to enjoy)...thats all! I'll try to get some pics up for ya'll tomorrow, she weathered the winter quite nicely and shouldn't take long to get her back to how I had her in the summer...

Kelley's Island, Ohio?? Christmas in July??
    I'm from the area, sailing in my small boat will be mostly in the Sandusky Bay and inside the Lake Erie Islands.

Vern

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
    Kelley's Island, Ohio?? Christmas in July??
    I'm from the area, sailing in my small boat will be mostly in the Sandusky Bay and inside the Lake Erie Islands.

Vern
    Haha you bet! I'm so excited, I've been up there before but never in my own boat!

Here's picture check...did it work?...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nickcres13; 06-09-2013 at 11:36 PM.

k that was bad, try number 2...

Yes! Ok great, big thanks to FAQ because there's know way I would've known how to do that. Anyway, it was a great day for the boat, we dropped that HUNK of a keel (guessing around 300 lbs) and got all set up to power wash the boat...and then it got dark. Here's a pic of the Crescimanno's dry dock Do it for free or don't do it at all...

Don't ask "why is there a welding helmet on the ground?"....

Looks like you've got your work cut out for you!

I trailer-sailed a similar boat, a San Juan 21, all over the SF Bay Area and northern Sierras, plus towing it up to the San Juans for a 2 week trip up to Nanaimo and back to Anacortes. One tip I'll give you for these lightweight daysailors is to get the rigging replaced / tuned up by a professional rigging shop if at all possible. You really don't want to have to worry about a shroud or stay breaking and bringing down the rig! Check all the attachment points for the rigging, making sure they haven't caused rot in the deck or are ready to pull through or fail.

"The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

[QUOTE=Thorne;3818221]Looks like you've got your work cut out for you!

I trailer-sailed a similar boat, a San Juan 21, all over the SF Bay Area and northern Sierras, plus towing it up to the San Juans for a 2 week trip up to Nanaimo and back to Anacortes. One tip I'll give you for these lightweight daysailors is to get the rigging replaced / tuned up by a professional rigging shop if at all possible. You really don't want to have to worry about a shroud or stay breaking and bringing down the rig! Check all the attachment points for the rigging, making sure they haven't caused rot in the deck or are ready to pull through or fail.

/QUOTE]

Good call thanks Thorne! We sailed all summer last year with no problem, but it couldn't hurt to check! Sounds like a great trip: I love the size of the boat, its convienient to trailer, fast (enough), and a comfy cruiser. All in all a great boat...

Power wash day (good work tim)...sanding tomorrow! Does anyone have suggestions for taking off the interior paint? Im having my friend bring over his sand blaster tomorrow but who knows what'll work best...it doesn't come off with the power washer too well....

Interior of the cabin paint, or in the cockpit? Remember that you may be seeing either straight gelcoat, or paint over gelcoat. Don't think either will respond well to sandblasting unless you use a very non-agressive media like walnut shells or whatever, possibly leaving you with a lot of pitted or scratched gelcoat repairs to do. Have you tried paint stripper and a brush?
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

My Dad bought one of those used when I was a kid. Yes, it's construction is marginal, yes, the resale value is next to nothing, yes, they are seen by many as the worst of the small sailboats built in the sixties and seventies -- but my family had loads of fun for years in that boat.

Ours had a big drifter/genoa with it, and in light air, we could stay with or pass any boat near our size. As a teenager, my folks (what were they thinking?) let me cruise it all over the Thousand Islands area of the St. Lawrence and even eastern Lake Ontario, sometime single handed, sometimes with my buddies. Surprisingly, no crew member was ever lost or arrested. One word of caution, before we had that boat I saw myself as something of a Tom Sawyer of the St. Lawrence, and an expert on shoal knowledge. That boat, with a draft of almost 6' with the keel down, humbled me in short order. I found new granite ledges all over the place with that deep "rock detector" down.

Still, I will always have a warm spot in my boating heart for the V-21, and I wish you all the best with yours.

Tom

I wish you the best with your boat, but I can't for the life of me figure out why you're posting on a wooden boat forum. surely there must be better resources on fiberglass boat sites. unless you're going to rip out the deck and cabin and replace with wood like another member is doing. kind of make half a wooden boat. again, happy sailing.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    Interior of the cabin paint, or in the cockpit? Remember that you may be seeing either straight gelcoat, or paint over gelcoat. Don't think either will respond well to sandblasting unless you use a very non-agressive media like walnut shells or whatever, possibly leaving you with a lot of pitted or scratched gelcoat repairs to do. Have you tried paint stripper and a brush?
    Yeah the cabin, it's really junky, smelly, and overall just hard to get comfy in...And yeah we learned today that we're dealing with paint over gel coat. I was trying to remove the paint as to put a new coat, but that seems near to impossible at this point, especially without removing the gelcoat... I think the verdict is to sand it all down to the best of my ability (regular jitterbug) and then just prime whats left of the paint and gelcoat, and then paint and seal it... Argh, this is annoying.

It's been a slow couple days, but the interior is partially sanded and the interlux products (primer and paint for inside, epoxy and hardener for keel) are on their way! Very excited to be done with that nasty interior and keel, and get some detail work done with wood...

Interior is mostly sanded, and the keel is ready for her makeover with epoxy and fiberglass!

OMG, I do not envy you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Palmer View Post
    OMG, I do not envy you.
    Haha I know right? You will when it's done...maybe

I sandblasted the cockpit of a 20' Shamrock with excellent results. I had flaking paint of an unknown kind.
    http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/To...tml?sort=2&o=2

Quote Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
    I sandblasted the cockpit of a 20' Shamrock with excellent results. I had flaking paint of an unknown kind.
    http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/To...tml?sort=2&o=2
    Looks great! Dang yeah I don't know what it was, but this stuff just wouldn't come off...does anyone want to give me an idea of how bad this will be if I paint over weak (not completely loose) paint? I will prime it with Interlux No-Sand Primer and then finish it with Brightside...Also, does anyone know if the No-Sand Primer will work on wood?...

Sorry its been awhile, alot has happened on the boat though! I resurfaced the interior with primer and Brightside, lets see if it makes the cabin a bit more comfy! Today I'm doing some wood work, and ill try my hand at varnishing....

Supplies

Primed

Painted

Well done it looks great!!! I am working on a very on a Venture 17. I can appreciate all your hard work!

Wow, a couple non-stop days with the boat! I got a lot done, but there's still a ways to go...but now mostly little things? The interior is "finished" with wood and the keel is ready for fiberglass! Take a look...

Interior

Outside (still really dirty..)

The keel...pain in the booty

P.S. Class starts Monday so I'm sprinting to get the bulk of things done, cause I'm basically done after Sunday...and I'm fed up

Venture (Macgregor) is just like the Bayliner of powerboats. They went with the "we'll get you on the water for less" and it worked. They just like Bayliner sold a sh#tload of boats. I would agree with some of the comments above as far as don't ever expect high resale value. Don't expect to win races unless it is against other Ventures perhaps. It is none the less a fine boat for what it is. There are some advantages to it also. There were a ton of them made so if you ever want parts they are very easy to find. Construction is very straight forward so you aren't going to find any overly complicated things there. They are pretty stable boats to sail. I refurbished a V 17 and ultimately made it a better boat than it was originally. Anyways don't be put off by any comments about the "name brand" of the boat. Finish it and go have a good time. It will deliver years worth of that without a problem. In a post from Thorne above he mentioned the rigging and I would second that one. Other than that you have a plenty decent boat that with a bit of "elbow grease" will be a fine boat. Good Luck

If the primer is Interlux Pre Kote yes it will work with wood. Interlux Primekote will also work with wood but, it is a two part that should be used only with two part top coats also.

Thus ends a long and painful few weeks of boat refurbishing, and the major stuff is now done!! Last jobs include: electrical, sound and lighting (speakers are on their way, and dad and I are making some LED strip lights), curtains (little sister is on that...), fore hatch (getting Lexan tomorrow), and putting that darned keel back in the boat! All in all, it was a heck of a time, and I'm glad we will be sailing soon! I'll post the last couple wrap up pics within the next few days...

Keel work:

Sizing up the cloth...well do it hockey stick style

Dad tries his hand at fiberglassing with the resin

The finished, painted product! More hydrodynamic than a dagger....ok maybe not

You might be finished with stripping the old cladding off the centercase. However, I wonder if using a heat gun would help you get that old material off much quicker than a chisel alone.

Could have worked capefox, but yes we are done...thank the lord! Well see how long the paint holds up....but im gone for college next year so I couldnt give a hoot Haha well here's the update, just cut a giant hole in the boat for a hatch. This could be really nice, or really be a problem...time will also tell...

This can't be a good idea...

Not the greatest attempt at sealing...

Water resistant?

After a month of pain, swearing, and blood, the major repairs on the boat are complete!! And to celebrate, we took her on a "maiden voyage" out to Lake Milton for the 4th of July! Maybe it's a symbol that I can now be independent from the boat, not just the British?...ok bad joke. There are still a few things left to do, but the major stuff (interior overhaul, keel, etc.) is done! All in all, I did enjoy fixing the boat up with my family, and I think we will have a great summer with it! Here's the pics of the last final sprint before we got it out on Milton, ill post the pics of the lake later...

I didn't take pictures of us getting this 400lb behemoth in here, not only because I physically couldn't, but also because I want to FORGET the pain and stress that we went through to get that sucker in there! Thank the lord its over...

This one is titled: Sacrificial Garage

Last minute trailer lights, courtesy Dr. C.....just to appease the annoying Canfield po-po.

stay posted to see this beauty out on Milton...

Here are the pics from the 4th, beautiful evening out on Lake Milton, OH. Enjoy!

The water...

Dad's beautiful Sicilian smile. :|

And I guess that's mom's beautiful Irish smile?... 8D

Bro gets the ladies...that suave smile

The princess smile.

And the captain is just glad his boat is floating!! Smiling on the inside...

There will be some more pics of the finishing touches, just for the record, and a special message from the captain coming soon...

Forgot Rollin...that Bresson smile (sigh)

Well done!

Sails?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Palmer View Post
    Well done!

Sails?
    Haha good catch! We didn't get the keel in until 7:30, and by the time we got to that water there was about an hour of sunlight left...it just wasn't worth it. Plus there was little to no wind. It was still a relaxing evening, which is what we were aiming for...

We finally made it to Lake Erie yesterday! The weather was perfect and, other than hundreds of ants and larvae spilling out of the mast (when we put it up) and forgetting the gooseneck (made a makeshift out of scrap metal), it was an awesome sail! Can't wait for Kelley's island; 3 more days!

Quote Originally Posted by nickcres13 View Post
    We finally made it to Lake Erie yesterday! The weather was perfect and, other than hundreds of ants and larvae spilling out of the mast (when we put it up) and forgetting the gooseneck (made a makeshift out of scrap metal), it was an awesome sail! Can't wait for Kelley's island; 3 more days!

Looks like a great time. Congrats' and enjoy your trip to the island.

Clint