Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: obamacare and obesity in southern states

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Default obamacare and obesity in southern states

don't know if i got this entirely correct but obesity in the southern states may not be covered by obamacare esp. ala, louisiana, mississippi, georgia where obesity is a major problem as well as its side effects. any follow up on this?

Default Re: obamacare and obesity in southern states

1) what, exactly, do you mean by 'obesity is not covered'?

2) got a link? I"m relatively familiar with 'Obamacare', and am unaware of any such restrictions.

3) not sure where you found this - but I think it's another one of those 'made up' criticisms of Obama, because they don't have anything else to complain about. And.... it sounds like it could be true.... doesn't it?.... so it must be. (I don't think so)
    Last edited by George Jung; 05-27-2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: needed a 'not'
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

I live in one of those states, and we haven't heard much about it. Couldn't tell you if it's true or not, but I don't quite understand what difference the state you live in makes, though I could see higher rates based on things such as the obesity statistics for different states or regions.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    don't know if i got this entirely correct but obesity in the southern states may not be covered by obamacare esp. ala, louisiana, mississippi, georgia where obesity is a major problem as well as its side effects. any follow up on this?
    Have the governments in those states refused the aid available in the Affordable Care Act. That seems to be the case in some southern states. Mississippi African Americans have a diabetes mortality rate 260+% higher than White residents, I can't see the government in that state doing anything to change that if they can avoid it.

Again, wrong wrong wrong.

Otherwise, we're in complete agreement.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

NPR at 4am news. obesity as a condition as well as the issues related to it; heart disease etc. were mentioned. this is why i'm asking. apparently won't be covered because of the high percentage of obese people in the southern states mentioned. and there is a high percentage of obese people. look at the amount of fried foods they consume.

Here what Gov. Perry of Texas did:

Gov. Rick Perry, in a letter to U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, today confirmed that Texas has no intention of implementing a state insurance exchange or expanding Medicaid as part of Obamacare. Any state exchange must be approved by the Obama Administration and operate under specific federally mandated rules, many of which have yet to be established. Expanding Medicaid would mandate the admission of millions of additional Texans into the already unsustainable Medicaid program, at a potential cost of billions to Texas taxpayers.
    "If anyone was in doubt, we in Texas have no intention to implement so-called state exchanges or to expand Medicaid under Obamacare," Gov. Perry said. "I will not be party to socializing healthcare and bankrupting my state in direct contradiction to our Constitution and our founding principles of limited government.
    "I stand proudly with the growing chorus of governors who reject the Obamacare power grab. Neither a "state" exchange nor the expansion of Medicaid under this program would result in better "patient protection" or in more "affordable care." They would only make Texas a mere appendage of the federal government when it comes to health care."
    Gov. Perry has frequently called for the allocation of Medicaid funding in block grants so each state can tailor the program to specifically serve the needs of its unique challenges. As a common sense alternative, Gov. Perry has conveyed a vision to transform Medicaid into a system that reinforces individual responsibility, eliminates fragmentation and duplication, controls costs and focuses on quality health outcomes. This would include establishing reasonable benefits, personal accountability, and limits on services in Medicaid. It would also allow co-pays or cost sharing that apply to all Medicaid eligible groups - not just optional Medicaid populations - and tailor benefits to needs of the individual rather than a blanket entitlement.
    Gov. Perry has consistently rejected federal funding when strings are attached that impose long-term financial burdens on Texans, or cede state control of state issues to the federal government. In 2009, Texas rejected Washington funding for the state's Unemployment Insurance program because it would have required the state to vastly expand the number of workers entitled to draw unemployment benefits, leading to higher UI taxes later.
    In 2010, Gov. Perry declined "Race to the Top" dollars, which would have provided some up-front federal education funding if Texas disposed of state standards and adopted national standards and testing.

Quote Originally Posted by bogdog View Post
    Have the governments in those states refused the aid available in the Affordable Care Act. That seems to be the case in some southern states. Mississippi African Americans have a diabetes mortality rate 260+% higher than White residents, I can't see the government in that state doing anything to change that if they can avoid it.
    What exactly are you saying? Are you saying that the government of the state of Mississippi is happy to let African-Americans die of heart disease brought on by obesity? Please clarify what you have written here for me.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Looks like we've got a 'three musketeers' thing going..... fascinating, isn't it? Living in an alternate universe, as well, by all appearances, where facts and reality mean nothing; where fearmongering runs rampant and racism can rear its ugly head, 'for the cause'.

You boys are a real disappointment.

And I thought the pacemaker might help....

It will, lefty - but ya gotta crank it up to 'come here, momma, I got a lil' something for ya' if you want it to be meaningful.

Jamie, move away from the keyboard.

Wasn't aware that Obesity was a disease. We just returned from a week aboard a Viking Rhine River Cruise between Amsterdam and Bassel and were impressed by the fact that we could count on one hand the number of non-American obese people we encountered all week. Evidently the "cure" for obesity is bicycles. Then we get off the airplane at O'Hare and the place is full of chubbies waddling along the halls.

hey, sorry i don't listen to maddow or limburger and DO listen to npr and the bbc. they don't have an ax to grind which makes me suspect there maybe some truth what npr and the bbc stated.

Got a link?

you can borrow my NPR link...

http://www.npr.org/
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    What exactly are you saying? Are you saying that the government of the state of Mississippi is happy to let African-Americans die of heart disease brought on by obesity? Please clarify what you have written here for me.

Mickey Lake
    Yep, that's what I'm saying. I'm willing to blame them for more than that. There is decades of data that shows increasing disparity between white and black populations in Mississippi and the southeast regarding health care.

i've said NPR. that should be a link don't ya think?

Doesn't this imply that coverage in southern states will be different than coverage in northern or even western states. On the surface this even sounds bogus.
    Tom
    http://www.ccmanuals.com

'Don't fart, and then point at the dog'

Quote Originally Posted by ccmanuals View Post
    Doesn't this imply that coverage in southern states will be different than coverage in northern or even western states. On the surface this even sounds bogus.
    Not to mention a blatant violation of the 14th amendment's Equal Protection clause.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013...iatric-surgery

Here's the link. The gist is that, instead of trying to apply a uniform standard all over the country, what's covered in each state is tied to what's currently covered by the most popular small group health plan offered there. It was a compromise intended to maintain current local standards of care, so that costs wouldn't go up astronomically in states whose population was accustomed to a lower standard of coverage. I don't think it was a good idea, but there you have it.

I will correct you.
    They made NEW Wheat.
    It has a triple helix DNA.
    It is not normal for us to digest
    It makes diabetes, and they call it "Wheat Belly".
    Then they have Monsanto GMO corn.
    No nutrition, but it leaches all the nutrition from your bones and brain.
    Look it up.
    Poisoning the children first.
    Why all the kids are on a scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmanuals View Post
    obesity in the south is rampant. not as much a a medical problem in ne and west or sw.i don't think it's bogus, i just don't think the current ad wants this in the news and limburger is probably on drugs again. and i suspect obesity is a disease both mentally and physically.

So, katey - if I'm reading you correctly, Obamacare will simply provide the same level of care in those regions that they've always had; there's not some dire plot to kill off the African Americans, or discriminate against obese southerners?

I didn't think so. Amazing spin, Jamie.

You're right, you are probably incorrect.

Now pass the twinkies.

Well, if there is a plot, we've just institutionalized it.

I think all the Fat people have been euthanized by the death panels anyway.

We will see. To date none of the evil, nasty things predicted have turned out to be true. At some point we ought to stop listening.

This election vote for the party that believes in Evolution, Climate Change, a woman's right to maker her health decisions, raising the minimum wage, equal pay for equal work, more people having health insurance is a good thing, and thinks voting should be made easier to do.

It's all that fried chicken and watermelon.
    Conferences at the top level are always courteous. Name calling is left to the foreign ministers. (Averell Harriman)

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    We will see. To date none of the evil, nasty things predicted have turned out to be true. At some point we ought to stop listening.

And yet - look at who is promoting these lies. Stop listening, indeed - or put on 'ignore'.

Obesity is a choice, with very few exceptions.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against every Republican, for every office, at every level. Be patriotic.

obesity in the south is rampant. not as much a a medical problem in ne and west or sw.i don't think it's bogus, i just don't think the current ad wants this in the news and limburger is probably on drugs again. and i suspect obesity is a disease both mentally and physically.
    When did Illinois become southern? Because the people here are just as fat as the ones in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by hokiefan View Post
    When did Illinois become southern? Because the people here are just as fat as the ones in Georgia.
    A clear example of the fat rising to the top...

Maybe the question is 'Is obesity a physical problem or a self-inflicted injury?'

And I am aware that it can be a medical or glandular problem having known someone with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ljb5 View Post
    A classic Jamie freak-out.

People who aren't covered for a certain condition will continue to not be covered for that condition.... and the guy who said he's against covering them is shocked to discover that they won't be covered.

Sorry Jamie, I can't figure out which side of this issue you're on. Can you?
    To be fair Jamie had most of the story correct. Thanks to Katey for the link.

A very good argument could be made for treating everyone equally, indeed it's one I and I suspect many others would make. The only thing holding me back is the "sausage maker" allusion, I'm prepared to rein in my principles to speed the desirable end result.

If you travel around the country as I do you'll see that obesity is everywhere. There does seem to be more of it in the black communities however. I would imagine genetics and a diet of fried foods is to blame. As we have a much larger black population here in the south there is a higher percentage of obesity.One interesting observation I've made is in the immigrant Mexican population. In Mexico it's unusual to see morbidly obese women. However here it's fairly common. Obviously our diet in this country is crap.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Jamie,

I'll ask a serious question here. This is NOT a dig. Have you considered a conversation with your medico about possible cognitive issues... and what, if anything, can be done about them? Speaking as an outside observer - I'd recommend it.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Jamie,

I'll ask a serious question here. This is NOT a dig. Have you considered a conversation with your medico about possible cognitive issues... and what, if anything, can be done about them? Speaking as an outside observer - I'd recommend it.

If you didn't intend it as a dig, you would have expressed your concern privately. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    If you didn't intend it as a dig, you would have expressed your concern privately. . .
    You might have a point. But I don't really DO pm's I don't think I've ever initiated one. And when I get one - it's welcome, of course, but also a mild irritation - 'cause I have to manage them, decide which to keep, make sure there's space clear for the next, etc. Maybe I've just never bothered to learn the tool well <shru But - if I'd meant it as a dig, I'd have addressed him as Startled Varmint. And I'd have been a whole lot more cleverly snarky. It meant only what I said.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

You might have a point. But I don't really DO pm's I don't think I've ever initiated one. And when I get one - it's welcome, of course, but also a mild irritation - 'cause I have to manage them, decide which to keep, make sure there's space clear for the next, etc. Maybe I've just never bothered to learn the tool well <shru But - if I'd meant it as a dig, I'd have addressed him as Startled Varmint. And I'd have been a whole lot more cleverly snarky. It meant only what I said.
    Gotta agree with David on this one. The post was only mildly insulting and supercilious - not in any way rising to the acerbic and acrimonious levels of which David is demonstrably capable.
    Conferences at the top level are always courteous. Name calling is left to the foreign ministers. (Averell Harriman)

Good news for California,

California health officials on Thursday unveiled the likely rates that insurers will charge under President Obama’s health-care law — and they are lower than expected, rebutting warnings by critics that many people will experience “rate shock” once the law is fully implemented.

On average, a person who chooses a mid-level plan can expect to pay around $321 a month, about $100 less than the amount projected by the Congressional Budget Office when the law was being debated in Washington. For low-income people, much of that cost will be offset by rebates from the federal government.

But some middle-income people who don’t get insurance from their employers will end up with hefty monthly bills, California officials acknowledged.

“There have been many predictions of sticker shock, and well, there may be some sticker shock,” Peter Lee, director of Covered California, the state agency implementing the law, said at a news conference — explaining that customers would be surprised at how low the rates are.
    Tom
    http://www.ccmanuals.com

'Don't fart, and then point at the dog'

Quote Originally Posted by hanleyclifford View Post
    Gotta agree with David on this one. The post was only mildly insulting and supercilious - not in any way rising to the acerbic and acrimonious levels of which David is demonstrably capable.
    Thanks.

HEY!!! Wait a second.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by skipper68 View Post
    I will correct you.
    They made NEW Wheat.
    It has a triple helix DNA.
    It is not normal for us to digest
    It makes diabetes, and they call it "Wheat Belly".
    Then they have Monsanto GMO corn.
    No nutrition, but it leaches all the nutrition from your bones and brain.
    Look it up.
    Poisoning the children first.
    Why all the kids are on a scripts.
    this place is ideal for you.

Jamie,

I'll ask a serious question here. This is NOT a dig. Have you considered a conversation with your medico about possible cognitive issues...
    From the link which (apparently) Jamie was paraphrasing...

Uninsured Americans who are hoping the new health insurance law will give them access to weight loss treatments are likely to be disappointed.
    That's especially the case in the Deep South, where obesity rates are among the highest in the nation, and states will not require health plans sold on the new online insurance marketplaces to cover medical weight loss treatments like prescription drugs and bariatric surgery.
    I think he did just fine.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    1) what, exactly, do you mean by 'obesity is not covered'?

2) got a link? I"m relatively familiar with 'Obamacare', and am unaware of any such restrictions.

3) not sure where you found this - but I think it's another one of those 'made up' criticisms of Obama, because they don't have anything else to complain about. And.... it sounds like it could be true.... doesn't it?.... so it must be. (I don't think so)
    Quote Originally Posted by katey View Post
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013...iatric-surgery

Here's the link. The gist is that, instead of trying to apply a uniform standard all over the country, what's covered in each state is tied to what's currently covered by the most popular small group health plan offered there. It was a compromise intended to maintain current local standards of care, so that costs wouldn't go up astronomically in states whose population was accustomed to a lower standard of coverage. I don't think it was a good idea, but there you have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    So, katey - if I'm reading you correctly, Obamacare will simply provide the same level of care in those regions that they've always had; there's not some dire plot to kill off the African Americans, or discriminate against obese southerners?

I didn't think so. Amazing spin, Jamie.
    So... there were some underlying facts which sorta, kinda resembled - in a distant fashion - Jamie's conception of the situation. Of course... by the time it had gone thru the Jamie-mill it was unrecognizable and incoherent. Did fine, eh???
    I used to think SV did this spit on purpose - in support of his insupportable partisan positions. I no longer believe that. Now I very much suspect he's doing the best he can. It's changed my attitude toward him. While I don't love him like a long-lost brother (except in a larger metaphysical sense)... I harbor no animus, and hope he does consult a medico in pursuit of possible cognitive improvement. I know such is possible. I just don't know about his case.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

So lets recap...

Jamie...

No ObamaCare obesity coverage in the States that need it.

Those State are in the south.

From the link...

Uninsured Americans who are hoping the new health insurance law will give them access to weight loss treatments are likely to be disappointed.
    That's especially the case in the Deep South, where obesity rates are among the highest in the nation, and states will not require health plans sold on the new online insurance marketplaces to cover medical weight loss treatments like prescription drugs and bariatric surgery.
    Ding, ding, ding!! We have a match!
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Quote Originally Posted by ljb5 View Post
    Moreover, Jamie is wrong to suggest that this is a policy of Obama or Obamacare. It's a state-level policy. The states have decided not to mandate this coverage and Obamacare allows the states to maintain their existing rules.
    Don't be such an apologist. If Obamacare allows administrative decisions on quantity and quality of care to be left up to the states then its an 'Obamacare' sanctioned policy.

Don't be such an apologist. If Obamacare allows administrative decisions on quantity and quality of care to be left up to the states then its an 'Obamacare' sanctioned policy.
    I accuse you of agreeing with LJ just to spite Jamie. Or maybe you just agree with LJ. Or maybe he's just right. Or maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by hokiefan View Post
    Or maybe...
    yes

And if it didn't?