Thread: Bead and cove cedar strips

Default Bead and cove cedar strips

Since I have access to the cedar and could use a bit of an increase to my income I am considering producing and marketing bead and cove red cedar strips. I have a few questions for anyone who has purchased their strips ready-made, so please, if you will....Were the flat faces rough or had they been passed through a planer or thickness sander?....What was the thickness? Were they more or less than 1/4" and about how much thicker or thinner?....What was the total width?....What lengths did you get?....Do you remember the price per linear foot?....Did you look on ebay for your strips?....The more answers I get the better.........And one more question....It used to be that when I pressed "enter" the text would skip a line, allowing me to make an obvious start to a new paragraph. That still works for me in my email, but not here on the forum. Any ideas on what that's about? Thank you in advance for your replies. Gib.

Default Re: Bead and cove cedar strips

No answers from me regarding the strips, but the first button with "a/A" on the quick reply box changes whether the enter button works or not.
    I randomly have to hit it occasionally.

So;

a/A does it!

Thank you.

re the strips, everything depends. I've used strips down to 3.5mm thick x 12mm wide for a rowing scull. I think around 5 to 6mm thick for a kayak, various widths depending on the location, but 12mm would be good for a lot of it, and possbly wider for some flat parts. Lengths around 3 metres. These were fine sawn. It would not have been an advantage if they had been planed as the shells were quite heavily faired, but you wouldn't want to be handling rough sawn.

My experience is pretty limited but for what it's worth ($.02) that's my input.

Bruce in Largs, South Australia.

Gib,

I think some of your questions might be answered by the CLC website. I think they are asking $0.50 / ft. right now. Most folks I know who buy their strips, prefer the strips to be "finish" planed to thickness to prevent wood slivers.

From most that I have talked to that make their strips from scratch, they let the raw material dimensions help them to determine the length, strip width & thickness to maximum utilization. My local sawmill guy cuts the cedar boards to about 1-1/8" thick and usually to 8' lengths. (This provides me an almost exact 1" wide strip once planed smooth.) I cut both the cove & bead first with a dual router setup, then I preassemble the "rough cut" bead & cove strips into 12" wide assemblies. I then feed the 12" wide rough cut assembly into my thickness planer. This helps to maintain the integrity of the bead & cove edges when stored and gives me a better idea of the total number of strips I need to process yet.

Thanks you guys.

What I'm looking for is the industry standard. I want to meet or exceed what the competition is doing, so the more replies I get from people who have purchased their strips the better overall picture I will get.

Gib,

Why don't you order some samples from the various sellers? That should give you a good idea.

Most of the "purchased" strips that I've seen have a smooth finish - very often appearing to be a planed finish, but I think sometimes you could achieve that finish with a good quality blade in the saw - usually spot-on for thickness within .002" or so. One "niche" that you could easily fill is the requirement for strips made from other species of wood for feature strips and the like. Many companies that sell strip sell WRC and a few other varieties - maybe Alaskan Yellow, Basswood, NWC and the like. I'd be paying attention to that. The other opportunity would be 3/16" thick strip which isn't something you see much of for sale, but the demand may be pretty low.
    "Anyone who says they like portaging is either a liar or crazy."
    - Bill Mason

I would value strips that were of uniform color and grain.

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    I would value strips that were of uniform color and grain.
    They can be had but they are not cheap. Years ago I bought a bundle of 55, long, matched for color, B&C, WRC, strips from Noahs for about $350. Today they are worth about $550 from the same source.
    Last edited by Cuyahoga Chuck; 05-15-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Gib:

I bought 2,100 linear feet of mixed Atlantic & northern white cedar strips which were 3/4" x 1-3/8" with bead & cove profile from Wood, Steel & Glass in Clinton, CT. They were all planed to thickness and in random lengths of 10' to 16'. All nice stuff, very clear and very consistent in thickness & shape. I paid $2,000 for this two years ago. Took them two days to have it ready from date of order.

Tip: When your customers come to pick it up, at least have it bundled neatly for them. I was told that my order was 'out back' and everyone was at lunch. I could wait for them to load it or do it myself. So, I drove out back and found it all in a disorgainzed pile which took me a while to load into my truck. At least they couldn't hide any defective pieces from me...

It does depend on just what you are building, really, for the optimum strip size. But I know that Flounder Bay used to sell mostly 3/4 x 1/4, which seems to work well enough for most canoes or kayaks. Planed both sides is actually unnecessary, but I think most amateur builders will feel comforted if it starts out smooth, even though you're going to be sanding everything down to fair off anyways.
    Hige sceal že heardra, heorte že cenre, mod sceal že mare, že ure męgen lytlaš.

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    It does depend on just what you are building, really, for the optimum strip size. But I know that Flounder Bay used to sell mostly 3/4 x 1/4, which seems to work well enough for most canoes or kayaks. Planed both sides is actually unnecessary, but I think most amateur builders will feel comforted if it starts out smooth, even though you're going to be sanding everything down to fair off anyways.
    +1. My students freak out at that, actually - even though the table saw blades we use leave a pretty good finish. The hard parts is that until they actually "get there" in the process they don't "get it". Fairing the hull inside and out removes all of that texture and is often a handy visual guide to let you know that you've successfully completed the fairing process. However when selling the strips as a product, I think that appearances matter. I don't know if a thickness sander would be a better way to process strips - less chipping potential from a small "wave" in the grain.

The most crucial thing in the strip creation process is accurate thickness before the molding process to add cove and bead.
    "Anyone who says they like portaging is either a liar or crazy."
    - Bill Mason

Going today to pick up 964 BF of clear 4 X 6 in lengths of 15 to 20 feet. Will resaw to 1" flat grain then sticker them to be made into S4S (planed and beaded and coved) strips as needed. Already have an order for 5000 LF from a great dealer I've dealt with before, am hoping to sell some on ebay as well.

Have feelers out for some yellow cedar for accent strips too.

I guess my biggest concern was whether it should be planed or not. I'll start with planed and see how it goes. It's going to be pretty marginal at first, rough would save me material and time, so maybe that's where I'll end up. S4S will net 2 strips per inch, sawn only would net 3. That's a huge difference in potential. Either way this is some really nice cedar, it will make nice strips.

Thanks every body for your advice, I appreciate it.