Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morality Question

Default Morality Question

If someone has a dumpster delivered is the said dumpster not fair game for me to throw away unwanted objects?.

Does not the items i throw in equal the amount of things i take from dumpsters and balance out the universe?

Default Re: Morality Question

The first question does not imply the second and the second addresses dumpsters in general, not the individual dumpster.

A dumpster may be for regular garbage pick-up or may be a one use hire as in construction, remodeling or whatever. Either way, the party who hired the dumpster has invested in trash removal. If the dumpster is actually used at well below its capacity, your 'contribution' might not be significant enough to matter to anyone.

Unfortunatly, dumpsters become a freeloaders' utility. For example, MaryEllen's place used to have a dumpster service but it was located such that residents at three other buildings used it and it was always overloaded. After a few years' frustration, the landlord went with garbage cans differently located. They are barely adequate for MaryEllen's building's use but the tenants are careful so it's much less of a mess than the dumpster that was treated as community property. Much the same happens at the dock, with some residents at surrounding housing trying to sneak their trash aboard rather than have to pay for removal or go to the dump themselves.

In other words, for the point behind the question - garbage in, garbage out.

On my side of the fence, what is sold is not the dumpster, but the service. If one were to steal the service from him that paid for it, that is stealing.

The first question is a question of ethics, not morals. You're stealing from the person that paid for the service. Sure, you might get away with it, but it's not ethical or, at least around here, legal.

The second question is the moral question. I'll leave it up to you to answer.

In general, when you find yourself asking "Is it ethical/moral for me to..." the answer is "no"

^ +11
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

In general, when you find yourself asking "Is it ethical/moral for me to..." the answer is "no"
    Bingo!

Dumpsters aren't cheap to rent. And also, showing up and finding you can't fit your waste in the dumpster you rented because a neighbor was too cheap to rent his own, or too lazy to drive to the dump/landfill/tip, is aggravating. Finally, waste companies ( around here) wont take a dumpster if the contents are crowned above its top. So chucking your crap into a full dumpster can cause additional grief for the person who rented it.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by alvin greenwood View Post
    If someone has a dumpster delivered is the said dumpster not fair game for me to throw away unwanted objects?.

Does not the items i throw in equal the amount of things i take from dumpsters and balance out the universe?
    No! But it's probably better than dumping the stuff on the lawn, the driveway, or the street. Either way, someone other than you is paying.

Alevins,

Ask Mister Geppetto.

The OP question should not have even been asked.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic; save the country.

Actually it shouldn't need to be asked.

Would the same go for the bed of your pick-up?
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

I suspect someone is dumping junk in bobbys' dumpster and he's POed about it. Someone of his caliber would never do such a dishonest thing himself.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Simple - ask the person with the dumpster if you can put some stuff in it....

A good morality test is, "Would you will it to be universal?".

There was a local contractor here that would always look for a roofers tear-off truck parked on site and fill it up after the crew had left. Is that wrong?

When working in Maine, I was on a back road (secondary) one evening and a car pulled over to the side and dumped two large plastic trash bags onto the side of the road. I was livid!First; I grabbed a flair pen, wrote the lic.No. the make of the car, the date, the road# and the time on the windshield.Secondly; I collected it and threw it in the back of my car.

A preface: dumps in the 70's were often only open one or two days a week (by town). Each town kept different hours and days.I was on the road a great deal and never it seemed in a town when the landfill was open. And the usual trash I collected was just thrown in the back. I might collect 3 weeks of trash until I found a landfill open and could get rid of it..

Two weeks pass. I'm in a Maine town ( gotta protect the name here..just say coastal town). Driving down Main Street I see a car that looked really familiar. I checked the Lic. # YUP, I knew that car. It was summer and the windows were wide open. I stopped alongside, grabbed is trash and for good measure added mine and put it all in HIS CAR with a note telling the owner that I was returning his trash WITH INTEREST! I didn't stay around to watch but, I hope he learned something.
    PS I also gave the time, the day,and the route # he had dumped the crap initially

Good one Jamie! Fair is fair.

I live on a mostly deserted road & trash gets dumped often. One day I found 3 trash bags dumped over the bank across from my driveway. One had broken open & I could see a bunch of mail as I picked it up. All were to the same address - in a town nearby.

I took some pictures of the trash where it was, loaded it into my truck, drove to the address & dumped it on their front lawn. They came out yelling at me & I replied that I was simply returning it. I guess that someone inside had called the cops, as just as I was leaving a local cop pulled up, got out & asked me what on earth I was doing. I showed him the pics of where I'd found it & the address on the the mail & told him that I figured they'd lost it accidentally & was doing "the neighborly thing" of returning it to them. He had to work hard at keeping a straight face while telling me I shouldn't have done this. I asked the people if they wanted a fine for littering or if dealing with it was better. They dealt.

A different story - but yours made me think of it: A guy was going down main street in Hanover NH putting zucchinis in every car that had an open window. A cop wrote him a ticket for littering. When he went to court (pleading not guilty, as he was just giving away vegetables), the judge asked him how big the zucchinis were. He said about 2 ft. The judge replied "That's littering - $15 fine. If they'd been under 1 ft & therefore still edible, I would've bought your story".

Do you think he rehabilitated himself after that?
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    Do you think he rehabilitated himself after that?
    Probably not.

Depends how long he sat on the Group W bench, doesn't it?

Had a big dumpster at the old office site with weekly service. We'd use it for the building's trash, but also for our own from home if some project required it. It was really a great luxury. I always emptied the shop trash and the heavy tree trimmings and such into the office dumpster. If we did that, there was still always plenty of room in it. Then, as things are, some unscrupulous rat job contractors "discovered" it. (You could access it by just driving into the parking lot, which was usually empty after hours and on weekends.) In no time, it became the "go to" place for these "construction companies" with nothing but a pick up, a ladder and a skillsaw. All sorts of construction demo rubbish, including, of course, kitchen sinks. (I did get some good plywood off cuts and a nice ceiling fan for my shop doing "dumptster diving," though.) Turns out they were saving $25 to $50 a load over dumping at the landfill. The garbage company quickly yanked our chain about the drywall, busted concrete and what all else that was soon filling it. To make matters worse, when it was full, these guys would just dump their trash next to it! We ended up having to put up a locked chain link fence around the dumpster. Pretty sad state of affairs when you have to lock up your garbage dumpster to keep other people from using it!

WOW i assumed people knew i was joking, But then i forgot i have a fan club and it is good to know people are reading my threads.

After years of having my dumpsters left overnight and every neighbor dumping stuff in i wondered if there was any morality remaining..

Small things were not bad but tires were bad.

I have things to dump but have deals with people with dumpsters, scrappies.

Have not hired a dumpster in a year on my own property as i recycle all metal, burn burnables, do favors for neighbors and can use their trash cans if there is room., cut up all metal and give it to the scrappy.

I had a fridge that presented a problem as it costs 45 bucks to get rid of it.

I gave the scrappy some good metal and he took it to a certified place for me .

Now my big problem is how to get rid of a huge tar pot with one ton of tar.

I just may have to do a free roof, empty it and give it to a scrappy.

The last one i gave the scrappy cussed me for years.

Now my big problem is how to get rid of a huge tar pot with one ton of tar.
    That indeed can be a really big problem, just too big to stick in someones dumpster.
    I turned down a "free" tanker load (solid) of it a few years ago.
    The cost of reheating it from solid would not compute. It might today though - How much is asphalt a ton now, maybe $500?

Im thinking of putting a ad in for free tar pot with tar, ., But i dont think anyone even knows how to do this work anymore.

I kept it as a insurance policy of sorts as i can stop any leak on a flat roof if need be.

Now my son and his friend might want to use it to do the calking on their boats so maybe the boatyard might take it.

It takes a long time to heat up a whole pot but one can get some a hour or so to use.

When i worked in the boatyard we had a little pot.

"When i worked in the boatyard we had a little pot". Just a little Alvin, are you sure?

As long as it wasn't in Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    As long as it wasn't in Georgia
    Or TX.

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    Wow this it. I read this column in the Sunday NYT called The Ethicist, and I reckon that 85% of the letters are asking permission, as in 'is it okay for me to...', or vindication for having done something. When The Boy was young, he was known to say, 'knowin what to do is easy. Doin it is a bitch, sometimes.'

bump

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by alvin greenwood View Post

I would not mind someone adding something to my dumpster.

It is like going to the dump. I pay the minimum. If someone wants to add something to my load, I am not going to object.
    Life is complex.

Wait... alvin WHO? I've got a sneaky feeling someone's trying to pull the roofer's felt over our eyes. Again.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Go ahead and use that dumpster. Some rich bast**d probably rented it to dump abandoned babies in. Besides, your trash is just as good as his.

There is no morality; that went out with religious belief. There is only the chance of being caught.

regards,
    Waddie
    I started with nothing and I still have most of it....

Quote Originally Posted by Waddie View Post
    Go ahead and use that dumpster. Some rich bast**d probably rented it to dump abandoned babies in. Besides, your trash is just as good as his.

There is no morality; that went out with religious belief. There is only the chance of being caught.

regards,
    Waddie
    Project much?
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    bump

Touché!