Thread: Varnish questions

Default Varnish questions

I thought I'd try out some of Screwfix's Yacht varnish for the first time, on a bench in the garden. Before entrusting it to the boat.

I gave it 2 thinned coats, then it rained before I was able to get any more coverage.
    Dried out the next day and I applied a non thinned coat, the wood appears sealed.

A couple of issues have arisen.
    Although it appears dry the finish is still very soft about 4 days later. Iíve tried to show the damage caused when I sat on it, below. Basically the finish dented.

How long do you think it should take to go off as I donít want to add any more layers until itís properly dry?

The weatherís been a bit variable here, max temp about +10c and some rain showers. ( not ideal I know!)
    Thereís an area that blooms when it gets wet, it seems to clear again when the weather dries.
    Iíve had varnish bloom permanently when it got humid/wet before the surface was dry, but never this. Not easy to photograph but I hope you can see it below.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Varnish questions

First thought: what the heck is "Screwfix"???? Local varnish where you are? Where is that?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Hi, Sorry I should have said hello first.
    I'm in the UK South West, Screwfix is a large UK chain, basically an online builders merchants. http://www.screwfix.com
    Their varnish has been mentioned and recommended by some on here before. A lot of their products are simple, no nonsense, "does what it says on the tin" type things.

Welcome. Now the second question: how did you prepare the woods - sanding, stripping, cleaning, etc and with what exact products?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Thank you.
    The wood is maple, originally from an old school sports floor.
    Heavily sanded and shaped for the bench. Originally finished with some stuff called Junckers Rustic Oil, a PU hardening oil that turned out not to be UV proof.
    Scraped that off, lightly sanded and wiped down with white spirit before 2 coats of varnish, thinned ~25% with white spirit, then 1 unthinned coat about 2 days later.

Don't put your poor boat through that, please!
    The varnish is still soft because of the temperature. I wont pretend to know the science behind it, but you need about 20 degrees C before most varnish will behave like it says on the tin.
    The difference between Screwfix "yacht varnish" and Yacht Varnish is mostly UV resistance, so unless you keep your boat inside ALL the time (unless its in use) then the cheap stuff will be peeling and flaking off in your hands in 6 months to a year, if that.
    The other major factor is how it behaves when you're applying it. Good quality Varnish, when applied with a good brush, (and a skilled hand) will flow to a glassy surface as long as the temperature is within the correct range. Screwfix Varnish will keep the brush strokes not matter how hard you try.
    For low temperatures, its pretty important to have the right thinners to hand (and no white spirit is not the same thing) essentially this tricks the varnish in to thinking that it is warmer than it really is, by speeding up the drying process ever-so-slightly.

I have found that Epifanes is a corker, and for the easiest varnish of all to apply try Le Tonkinois, the french navy swear by it, or so I'm told.

Have you tried Ronseal? It works perfectly for me.

Why not stay with a proven band of marine spar varnish such as Interlux, Pettit, ZSpar or Epifanes. I believe that, in the long run, it will prove to be less hassel!
    Jay