Thread: Alden Schooner "Freedom" ...seen it?

I'm wondering where the 89'x 18'x 10' Alden Schooner named "Freedom" is these days. I last saw this beautiful boat on the east coast up in Maryland...1968. This boat was donated to the Merchant Marine school up in Piney Point,MD.. Is it still alive?

Thanks,
    Bill P.

Bill, last I saw her, she spent many years up a creek (the Mill Basin Creek)in Brooklyn, NY. She's been owned since about 1968 by some unreformed hippies who earn their living selling pot and as distributors of some glass recycling equipment. They originally had her in City Island, then moved her to Sheepshead Bay, and now the Mill Basin Creek. They've been slowly (very slowly) restoring the vessel all these years. She's afloat.

Default Re: Alden Schooner "Freedom" ...seen it?

I'm dredging this up from a past request. Anyone know if the Alden schooner Freedom is still alive?

Thanks,
    Bill

I don't know. There used to be at least one member in Brooklyn. I'm an hour and a half away on a good day. Have you checked US Vessel Document list?
    I admire your persistence.

Haven't check the documentation list but will try. My persistence is purely nostalgic. I crewed on the Freedom while in merchant marine school at Piney Point MD. It was the largest mast I've varnished too! Beautiful boat.

Mill Basin is one inlet over from the Sebago Canoe Club, which boasts a couple of forumites as members.
    My Goat Island Skiff Project Photos:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/999065...7648295059621/