Thread: boat windows

Default boat windows

There was an article on a design for cabin windows in the past year in Wooden Boat. It was of the square type that use two wedges on either side. I think the Redwing uses them. Anyway, I'm looking for the article and cannot find it searching the online index. Does anyone know which issue it was?

Default Re: boat windows

They are sometimes called Wiley ports.

Thanks. I found it. Issue 215. I'm considering these for my houseboat. They would be quite large on the forward windows - nearly 2'x4'.

I haven't used one but from what I've seen, that might be a bit big for a Wiley port. You're really just using wedges to push a piece of lexan/plexi/glass against a frame, at some point you won't exert enough pressure on the middle span to keep it tight.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Dave Gerr's book, the Nature Of Boats, has these detailed.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I made Wiley windows for my teardrop camping trailer and they work very well. I glued a wooden stiffener across the top edge of the plexiglass to make sure that it seated against the weather stripping. Mine are only a foot square but I'm sure bigger ones wouldn't be a problem if you stiffen the top edge and use adequately thick plexiglass. http://teardropbygary.blogspot.co.nz/

Thanks Gary - precisely what I had in mind.

I realize this thread is six years old, but you don't just post a picture like that without some explanation. Tell us about the stove man.

indeed, tell us about that very nice stove!
    Jay

And the lamp in the corner. Tell us about the lamp in the corner too.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

I kinda wanna know the duck's name.
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Plyboy View Post
    I kinda wanna know the duck's name.

That's a goose!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

The lamp in the corner is easy - it’s a Weems and Plath Yacht Lamp. Widely available. I have one and like it a lot although the light is more for atmosphere than any practical use.

Wiley ports are cool, especially as they can be partly open in a rain, but Bahamian ports are cheaper and far more ultimately watertight in a hard chance.

Exterior view.

How are they kept tight Ian? They look like simple sliding glass there, can't see how that keeps it tight.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

The Bahamian ports admit no water in driving rain and rough seas. Blue water over the bow and no problem. Lived with them for years on Granuaile.

If you've got the ports in the water, the water pressure will push them against the wood. Not a perfect seal but about as good, tests I did showed me, as the average for a conventional two dog port light under water. A dogged port, unlike a wiley port, with a new gasket and properly tightened is almost utterly watertight on the dogged side and half way along the verticals, but will still leak on the hinge side. Here's the deal: If you're upside down, things will be wet but any water coming in around the Bahamian ports is the least of problems.

Edited to add: As the pic shows, the forward edge is housed when the port is shut. In principle, water could be force in from the rear. It never happened but I guess with a boarding sea from astern some water could get in.

On Marmalade, with very light plexi Bahamian ports, I had push screws at the upper forward corners. If I did not tighten those and it was windy, the shaking of the plexi would pull water up from the lower track and create a drip, easily contained by the interior troughs. I've not yet put such screws on Meg because with the thicker Lexan that's not been an issue.
    Last edited by Ian McColgin; 07-08-2019 at 09:22 PM.