Thread: Marshall's Cove paint

Default Marshall's Cove paint

I'm new to WBF and I need some help with paints. I'm currently building a kayak and would like to paint the deck. I've been looking at the Marshall's Cove paint. I've heard good things about them, I've heard bad things about them. I've sent emails to Systemthree (the epoxy company), Marshall's Cove and several other marine supply stores in WA about their opinion on the paint. What I need to know is, for a kayak deck how well will it hold up? What do I need to be concerned with in regard to the application process? Will it hold up to average use and abuse without looking too beat up? Please help!

Default Re: Marshall's Cove paint

I haven't tried the Marshall's Cove paint yet... but I intend to. The small bits of feedback I've gotten so far from other professionals is that they like it. It's not a hi-tech paint, it's just a good quality oil enamel (though they are coming out with a mono-urethane).

Your deck is what material? Raw plywood? Fabric of some sort? Epoxied plywood? Glassed Nidacore?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

The deck is epoxied fiberglass over Okoume. It is an Arctic Tern HI from Pygmy. Really excited for the finished product. Thank you for the reply.

I am using Marshall's Cove on two boats right now. I like it.

No problems with adhesion to a well-cured epoxy surface or the places I used primer over bare wood. It also has proven to be pretty tough, it isn't showing any wear in the bottom of my sailing/rowing/crabbing skiff after 2 seasons of abuse.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

I have used marshall's cove (Red jacket Black) semi gloss and it worked well, and even made headway in high humidity. also had excellent results with Kirby. That said both of these paints shine (pun intended) -on wooden boats that move: shrink/expand (like plank on frame) as compared to the higher tech harder finishes.
    For your application I would think you would be better off with harder and if you want the look -glossier finish.
    I was really happy with the Epifanes Monothane on a little Piroque that was glassed ply. and it stands up better to dragging up beach, scraping a paddle across it.

BTW - when calling for a question I have had the owner return my call from both Kirby and Marshall's - this will not occurr with Interlux, Petit, Epifanes.

Small world moment:

I periodically get stopped on the launch ramp by people wanting to talk to me about my boat (a Deer Isle Koster aka KDI). Last weekend I noticed a guy in a van had turned around and followed me to the ramp, he was very curious about the boat, turns out he was Mr. Marshall of Marshall's Cove, he was very happy that I was using his paints.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

I decided to go with the medium blue gloss from Marshall's Cove. I think the contrast from the blue to the okoume is going to be beautiful! Thanks everyone for the information, I can't wait to get out on the water!

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    Small world moment:

I periodically get stopped on the launch ramp by people wanting to talk to me about my boat (a Deer Isle Koster aka KDI). Last weekend I noticed a guy in a van had turned around and followed me to the ramp, he was very curious about the boat, turns out he was Mr. Marshall of Marshall's Cove, he was very happy that I was using his paints.
    Sweet! Where's that durn LIKE button?
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

I ordered a paint swatch from kirby and along with some color samples I received a handwritten note from george kirby jr thanking me for my interest andoffered to make any custom colors I nedded as well as any support. Thought that was a nice touch

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    Small world moment:

I use mostly DuBois High Quality Self Made Paints and have to look the maker in the mirror every morning.

You can guess which is not a pretty sight.
    E.DB.

Quote Originally Posted by JC77 View Post
    I'm new to WBF and I need some help with paints. I'm currently building a kayak and would like to paint the deck. I've been looking at the Marshall's Cove paint. I've heard good things about them, I've heard bad things about them. I've sent emails to Systemthree (the epoxy company), Marshall's Cove and several other marine supply stores in WA about their opinion on the paint. What I need to know is, for a kayak deck how well will it hold up? What do I need to be concerned with in regard to the application process? Will it hold up to average use and abuse without looking too beat up? Please help!
    I have been using Marshall's Cove Marine Paints since they were introduced a few years ago. I am getting very good durability and wear on my dory with it, and I don't baby it either- I drag it up and off of the beaches regularly. Very happy indeed.
    Fly Fishing Washington's Olympic Peninsula
    http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

Very happy with the quality of Marshall's Cove paint and the service that Peter provides. Top notch

An old thread, but I'm curious if there is any more recent consensus on Marshal's Cove paint. I've never used it but just bought a quart to use on Snoose's decks mainly because they have a color I like. Now I discover that it is evidently somewhat local and small craft which is always good to support if the product is good. So is the product good? Do we have any long term or repeated use of Marshal's Cove paints by forumites?

I've used Marshall's Cove primer on Petrel's topsides and was pleased with it. And I found Peter to be helpful on a couple of calls. I can't comment on their topcoat paint at all but FWIW I will say that I would be using it if I hadn't settled on Rustoleum. Originally I was going to use their Hecate Ranger Green but I couldn't get it easily when I was ready to paint so went with the Rustoleum Dark Hunter Green instead (it's not one of the colors stocked by Fisheries I think). But I am tempted to go with a darker green than I have now the next time I paint. If so I'll almost certainly end up with Marshall's Cove.

I used Marshall's Cove on Emily Ruth... topsides and deck. I like it just fine. It applies evenly and dries quickly. I don't have a lot of experience with other brands. Suppliers don't seem to carry the off colors nor all the sizes and sheens. Admiral Supply in Port Townsend has the best prices in my experience.

Jeff

I just used my first Marshall's Cove paint, gloss white for my pilothouse windows. It seemed to brush fine and flatten out nicely. But it sure has an odd smell, more like sour milk than paint. Maybe I'm just not used to modern low VOC oil based paint. But it just doesn't seem right. Paint should smell like paint, dammit.

Well, I must confess that I have never used Marshall's Cove paint but the name gives a sense of reliability. When we bought "Bright Star" thirteen years ago, she had been painted with topsides that are white LP. Haven't needed to repaint them yet! Just a bit of polish when needed!
    Jay