Thread: Bending conduit

Default Bending conduit

I need to bend some conduit into a half circle ending in straight legs. Like the letter U.

These hoops will form part of a chicken (maybe duck) coop and hold up a hardware cloth wall/ceiling. (I like duck; she likes ducks-but that's another thread).

What's the best way to get a nice curve on metal electrical conduit? I've got conduit bending tool but worry it will come out notchy. I vaguely recall the idea that I can fill with sand and get a better bend.

Any advice appreciated.

Tom

ps-i need several of these things so repeatability would be great.
    Last edited by bluedog225; 04-07-2013 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Added ps

Default Re: Bending conduit

The sand trick requires that the sand be packed hard, not merely "filled". I've used it for aluminum tube; not sure how steel would work. You can also make a 3-layer plywood form, with the thickness of the center layer matching the tube diameter, and with the perimeter curve matching the desired ID of the bent tube. The two outer layers would have curve radii larger than the center by a dimension approx matching the tube diameter, be very stout (on the order of 5/8' or 3/4" thick), then glued and screwed to the core layer.
    Last edited by Nicholas Scheuer; 04-08-2013 at 08:44 AM.

Berwick NS and all over Newfoundland Canada

With the correct conduit bender it should come out fine. If you have a community college nearby that teaches electrical take it in to them to bend. They would probably be happy to do it for you.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

what is the radius of the bend?

1.5 feet approx radius.

If you can use a square U shape use your conduit bender to make two 90's. If you need the round shape with a 1.5 foot radius you'll need to build a form per Nicholas' post #2. Good luck.

Cheers,

Bobby

You can buy both metal and plastic conduit 90 degree "sweeps". 1.5 foot radius = 3 foot diameter. Kind of a narrow coop?

This is a small 10 foot tractor type run attached to the actual coop. It will lead to a longer run around the perimeter of the hurricane fence.
    Last edited by bluedog225; 04-08-2013 at 11:38 PM.

I bent galvanized water pipe, almost the same as rigid conduit, around an appropriately sized tree trunk with no problems for a similar project. I used a "v" tree or a double trunk tree, put the pipe in the notch and walked it around the trunk. Thinwall conduit might work as well. If not, get some pipe from a plumber.

I'd go with the plywood form. I helped a friend build a bunch of 3'X8' cold frames this way years ago, they'll all still standing after 25+ years.

Here is a youtube:

There are others in the margin of the link

How about plastic conduit? Build a form, heatgun the plastic, and bend
    Good luck

Plastic may be a good idea. I'll go price the alternatives. This thing is being pieced together from scrap I have collected from a decade of remodeling. Lots of misc, stuff, treated 2x6, assorted simpson ties, a leftover hurricane fence gate, and corrugated roofing in 4-6 foot lengths. It's turning into the coop of the apocalypse.

The neighbors will be pleased.....