Thread: 4000+ HP Wright R-3350 Duplex-Cyclone breathing fire

Default 4000+ HP Wright R-3350 Duplex-Cyclone breathing fire

Skip to the three minute mark. . .

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: 4000+ HP Wright R-3350 Duplex-Cyclone breathing fire

Now I know where those smoke trails on aircraft sides come from. Pretty impressive in the dusk!
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against every Republican, for every office, at every level. Be patriotic.

Gotta play hell on the paint.
    Among the most enduring things about an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

++1
    We are just a bunch of monkeys--Bernard Motessier
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

She sounds great here, a 475 mph flyby is not something you see everyday from a prop plane. . .

Why have one Wright Cyclone when you can have four - this takes me back to my childhood, sitting in about that seat...

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

WOW!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Why have one Wright Cyclone when you can have four - this takes me back to my childhood, sitting in about that seat...

I was about to post something in the same line of thought..........as kids, we could tell at night /dusk if the plane overhead was a Super Connie, just by looking for the pair of blue trails on either side of the wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    Gotta play hell on the paint.
    Besides, the enormous risk should aviation petrol leak out of the wing tanks.

BTW, weren´t any means available at the time to ensure a flameless exhaust ? Or was it part of this particular engine´s sex appeal ?
    Last edited by carioca1232001; 04-08-2013 at 06:01 AM.

Amazing mixture control - anyone know if this thing is carbureted or injected?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross M View Post
    Amazing mixture control - anyone know if this thing is carbureted or injected?
    I don't know, maybe carbureted. Back in my earlier days as a passenger, it was interesting to look at the exhaust during night flights. I can't recall if they were Lockheed Constellations or DC-7's, maybe both. Taking off there would be about two feet of yellow flame coming out of all the exhaust stacks. After we had climbed a bit the flame would suddenly shrink back to about a foot of blue flame, or less. Then on approach the exhaust would be two feet of yellow flame again. I guess they liked a rich mixture on landing and take off, and the flight engineer changed the mixture accordingly.

Carburetted I fancy. Wasn't there an issue with engine fires on the B-36 because the R-4360 engines (different engine but related) were arranged as pushers and the cold airflow over the carburetters resulted in icing of the carburetters and increased richness of mixture until the exhausts caught fire.

I also think they liked a rich mixture for take off and landing.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Carburetted I fancy.
    She's fuel injected, water injected and nitrous injected, running through a two speed supercharger. Also has very trick boil off oil coolant system.

Here's a video of her leaned out burning a piston and ultimately throwing a rod at 508 mph. . .

Last edited by Paul Pless; 04-09-2013 at 07:40 PM.

This is what she looked like when she was 'discovered' at a farm in Canada, before being built into a racer.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    She's fuel injected, water injected and nitrous injected, running through a two speed supercharger. Also has very trick boil off oil coolant system.

Here's a video of her leaned out burning a piston and ultimately throwing a rod at 508 mph. . .
    Interesting - as is the "as found" picture. It appears that the power recovery turbines normally associated with this engine might never have been part of this installation. For that matter, I thought production Sea Furys had Bristol Centaurust sleeve valve engines.

Great stuff.

From what I remember...
    The Duplex Cyclones and Twin Wasp Seniors were carbureted engines. The carburetors were squarebore strombergs with needle jets the size of stone arrowheads that had a throughput of over a gallon per minute at slow economy cruise.

They respectively made 2000 and 1600 hp at low altitude war emergency and 1600 and 1200 full speed, 1200 and 700 continuous at altitude.
    That is with blue code (higher octane rating than pure isooctane) nonalcoholic fuel and exhaust driven air injected turbos.

They were awesome fire breathing monsters nonetheless.

Technologically the most advanced piston aviation engines were the immediate prewar and early wartime Junkers Jumo 20X series diesels.
    http://www.enginehistory.org/Diesels/CH4.pdf
    Regardless of how advanced they were I am thankful that the good variants were not mass producible in germany by the time the germans had real desire for a long range bomber.

I would have either been killed, subject to full biorbital lobotomy, or forced by death threat to use my advanced understanding of physics for evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross M View Post
    I thought production Sea Furys had Bristol Centaurust sleeve valve engines.
    They did. But you don't win Unlimited Gold at Reno these days without a giant twin row Wright or a Rolls V12 turbocharged to hell and beyond. . .
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 04-10-2013 at 05:28 AM.

Ross is correct; the Sea Fury had a Bristol Centaurus sleeve valve 18 cylinder two row radial

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Centaurus

Dan - I'm going to cautiously suggest that the title of "most technologically advanced piston aero engine" belongs to the Napier Nomad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Nomad
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

........Dan - I'm going to cautiously suggest that the title of "most technologically advanced piston aero engine" belongs to the Napier Nomad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Nomad
    Scanning the reference provided above, it seems that the Napier Nomad was a technological first, integrating a diesel valveless reciprocating engine with a power recovery turbine, in short, a complex bit of machinery, unsurprisingly 'temperamental' at times, and 'somewhat bulky'.

The Jumos were in comparison 'run of the mill', but were lighter, simpler to maintain and as a result, more reliable.

I recall reading somewhere that the Napier Nomad made an inroad into the railroad prime-mover sector, but it wasn´t a commercial success either.

Quote Originally Posted by carioca1232001 View Post
    I recall reading somewhere that the Napier Nomad made an inroad into the railroad prime-mover sector, but it wasn´t a commercial success either.
    Sort of, British rail ran the Napier Deltic, an advanced derivative of the Napier Nomad, which was a license built jumo 204 clone and not quite as advanced as the 205 series.
    The Deltic D18-25 was 3 Nomads in a triangle on 3 common crankshafts, mechanically blown.
    It made all of 1650 hp at 1500 rpm.
    A naval project spun it much faster and gave it a large powerful efficient axial flow exhaust driven turbocharger.
    It would have made at least 6000 hp but would immediately throw the weakest rod when run past 5600 hp.

As for the Jumo 20X series it was a diamond in the rough.
    Mostly in the pistons, injector system, bearings, and provisions for thermal expansion, and the 11 degree phase angle.
    Read the link and be amazed. http://www.enginehistory.org/Diesels/CH4.pdf
    There is some disagreement as to what the 209 was or was to be, perhaps multiple proposals neared completion.
    The one I think of took the above gems and made a non austerity 207.
    Displacement 29 litres instead of 16.6 of the 205, running at 3000 rpm instead of 2200, with a proper exhaust driven turbosupercharger, the geared blower only functioning during startup, throttle only adjusted by the injectors to ensure proper breathing (diesels do not have a minimum fuel air mix like petrol engines do). HP lubricant pumping performed by a piston pump attached to the underside of each and every piston.
    It would use almost the same block as the 205, with a slight bit more room for the larger diameter cylinders.

I bet the 209 would make for a great civil aviation engine.
    Pistons already beat jets in everything except speed and altitude.
    The Jumo would solve the altitude and fire safety and thermal efficiency issues and runs on diesel fuel instead of avgas.
    And it needn't be anything fancy. The germans ran the jumos on ship's diesel or J-2 Liquified Coal and had injector pump MTBO's of 800 hours.
    http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010/...erage-jet.html

Sorry folks, confusion has crept in.

Dan, you are thinking of the Napier Culverin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Culverin

The Deltic was three Culverins and was designed for minesweepers; it is still in service with the RN in that capacity, because of its very low magentic signature, but it was also used, sucessfully, in railway engines and in some USN fast patrol boats.

The Nomad was a different animal altogether .

And then we have the Commer TS engine truck engine...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commer_TS3
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Oh yes the culverin, what I what I wanted to say, forgot names.