Thread: Scalia Breaks Down in Court

Default Scalia Breaks Down in Court

In an outburst that shocked many onlookers at the Supreme Court today, Justice Antonin Scalia said that it made him “angry beyond belief” that he had to listen to people talking about gay couples all week. As Justice Anthony Kennedy questioned whether it was appropriate for the Court to hear a case about same-sex marriage at this time, Mr. Scalia stunned observers with an emotional outburst.
    “O.K., could we just stop talking about this stuff right now?” Justice Scalia snapped at Justice Kennedy. “I’ve told you all how I feel about this topic, and I don’t understand why we’re going on and on about it unless you all hate me.”
    As the courtroom froze in dead silence, Justice Scalia seemed to gather steam, shouting, “For two days, it’s been gay this, gay that. You’re all just talking about this stuff as if it’s the most normal thing in the world. Well, it’s not, O.K.? It’s weird and it’s wrong. And just talking about it like it’s O.K. and whatnot is making me angry beyond belief.”
    As the other justices averted their eyes, Justice Scalia broke down, sobbing that he wished “things were normal, the way they used to be.”

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...#ixzz2OlUIRq1G

Default Re: Scalia Breaks Down in Court

Too funny!

That's one his better ones. He can get a little corny sometimes.

My favorite is his piece on cheney -

"In a sombre ceremony attended by former members of the Bush Administration, the former Vice-President Dick Cheney marked the tenth anniversary of making up a reason to invade Iraq."

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...#ixzz2OlW6rtyW
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

I think from time to time how much Hunter Thompson would have enjoyed writing about today' issues. :-)
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Poor Tony. To be burlesqued like this must be trying for such a stuck-in-the-mud.
    Capitalism is the ideology of parasites.

How odd. I guess we all know where he stands on the issue.

For these pieces to be credible on the surface they must have a fair degree of actual validity. I suspect this story might be closer to fact than fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    I think from time to time how much Hunter Thompson would have enjoyed writing about today' issues. :-)
    Lordy, what a good thought, and how I'd love to read it!

"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."HST

Ya gotta love a guy who isn't intimidated by the prevailing winds of political correctness. I predict a very interesting dissent from Brother Scalia. There'll probably be a bunch of dissents, but his will likely be the most interesting and entertaining. Agree with him or not, he's one of the sharpest minds and best writers on the bench.

Let's not forget he accurately predicted the issues now before the Court in these very "gay marriage" cases over ten years ago in his dissent in Lawrence v. Texas. There, Scalia objected to the Court's decision to revisit Bowers, pointing out many decisions from lower courts that relied on Bowers that might now need to be reconsidered. He noted that the same rationale used to overturn Bowers could have been used to overturn Roe v. Wade, which the Justices in the majority in Lawrence had recently upheld in Planned Parenthood v. Casey. Scalia also criticized the majority opinion for failing to give the same respect to stare decisis that three of those in the majority had insisted on in Casey.
    Scalia wrote that if the court was not prepared to validate laws based on moral choices as it had done in Bowers, state laws against bigamy, same-sex marriage, adult incest, prostitution, masturbation, adultery, fornication, bestiality, and obscenity would not prove sustainable.

He wrote that:

"Today's opinion is the product of a Court, which is the product of a law-profession culture, that has largely signed on to the so-called homosexual agenda, by which I mean the agenda promoted by some homosexual activists directed at eliminating the moral opprobrium that has traditionally attached to homosexual conduct.... [T]he Court has taken sides in the culture war, departing from its role of assuring, as neutral observer, that the democratic rules of engagement are observed.

He cited the majority opinion's concern that the criminalization of sodomy could be the basis for discrimination against homosexuals as evidence that the majority ignored the views of most Americans:

"So imbued is the Court with the law profession's anti-anti-homosexual culture, that it is seemingly unaware that the attitudes of that culture are not obviously "mainstream"; that in most States what the Court calls "discrimination" against those who engage in homosexual acts is perfectly legal."

It would seem "the attitudes of that culture" are more "mainstream" today than ten years ago, but nevertheless, Scalia's observation that the Court was painting itself into a corner in reasoning as it did in Lawrence v. Texas seems now to have come back to haunt them. It will be interesting to see how they tip-toe around the contradictions they have created for themselves.

Sorry--state laws against masturbation? Or is this more Borowitz?
    Capitalism is the ideology of parasites.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaseLockedLoop View Post

I wouldn't be surprised. Might be incorporated within anti-sodomy laws of many years past.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Sure. Try doing it in public just about anywhere except San Francisco and see what happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    Ya gotta love a guy who isn't intimidated by the prevailing winds of political correctness. I predict a very interesting dissent from Brother Scalia. There'll probably be a bunch of dissents, but his will likely be the most interesting and entertaining. Agree with him or not, he's one of the sharpest minds and best writers on the bench.

Let's not forget he accurately predicted the issues now before the Court in these very "gay marriage" cases over ten years ago in his dissent in Lawrence v. Texas. There, Scalia objected to the Court's decision to revisit Bowers, pointing out many decisions from lower courts that relied on Bowers that might now need to be reconsidered. He noted that the same rationale used to overturn Bowers could have been used to overturn Roe v. Wade, which the Justices in the majority in Lawrence had recently upheld in Planned Parenthood v. Casey. Scalia also criticized the majority opinion for failing to give the same respect to stare decisis that three of those in the majority had insisted on in Casey.
    Scalia wrote that if the court was not prepared to validate laws based on moral choices as it had done in Bowers, state laws against bigamy, same-sex marriage, adult incest, prostitution, masturbation, adultery, fornication, bestiality, and obscenity would not prove sustainable.

He wrote that:

"Today's opinion is the product of a Court, which is the product of a law-profession culture, that has largely signed on to the so-called homosexual agenda, by which I mean the agenda promoted by some homosexual activists directed at eliminating the moral opprobrium that has traditionally attached to homosexual conduct.... [T]he Court has taken sides in the culture war, departing from its role of assuring, as neutral observer, that the democratic rules of engagement are observed.

He cited the majority opinion's concern that the criminalization of sodomy could be the basis for discrimination against homosexuals as evidence that the majority ignored the views of most Americans:

"So imbued is the Court with the law profession's anti-anti-homosexual culture, that it is seemingly unaware that the attitudes of that culture are not obviously "mainstream"; that in most States what the Court calls "discrimination" against those who engage in homosexual acts is perfectly legal."

It would seem "the attitudes of that culture" are more "mainstream" today than ten years ago, but nevertheless, Scalia's observation that the Court was painting itself into a corner in reasoning as it did in Lawrence v. Texas seems now to have come back to haunt them. It will be interesting to see how they tip-toe around the contradictions they have created for themselves.
    He doesn't sound like much of a neutral observer to me.

BTW, if you're going to quote wikipedia, in the interests of intellectual honesty you should indicate that you're doing so, otherwise it looks like you're plagiarizing them.
    I'll just take my chances with those salt water joys.

AR

Check the link in the OP

That is FUNNY, and as noted above, it's funny because it's somewhat plausible.
    The premise is WRONG, Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Intrepid View Post
    He doesn't sound like much of a neutral observer to me.

BTW, if you're going to quote wikipedia, in the interests of intellectual honesty you should indicate that you're doing so, otherwise it looks like you're plagiarizing them.
    Yea, a lot of it is from Wikipedia, but Wikipedia is in the public domain. I was going to cite them but then I figured, 1) it's the Bilge, not a published scholarly work, so who cares? 2) I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything and 3) Wikipedia is entirely made up of stuff people have cut and pasted from someplace else in the first place, so it's not like it deserves to be credited for much at all (except perhaps for the purposes of "caveat lector.") It isn't like some guy named Earl Wikipedia wrote it all and is entitled to his intellectual property.

As for Scalia being a "neutral observer," not hardly! That's not his job. One of the great perks of being a Supreme Court Justice is that your own personal opinion actually matters and there's nothing anybody can do about it.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Longino View Post
    Too funny!
    No..Just really sad Glen!

Wikipedia isn't in the public domain, it's published under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike license. It's not a big deal, it's just good etiquette to at least show that it's not your work that you're posting, all that takes is a couple of quotation marks.

I'm not decided if the court should be a neutral observer but that is what Scalia himself said, just look at your quote from Wikipedia.

Also, the story is pretty hilarious, mostly because it's just crazy enough that it could be true!
    I'll just take my chances with those salt water joys.

AR

An additional reason for referencing Wikipedia is that its articles are often sourced. Knowing that's where something is from speeds checking.

Well, I'll certainly cite to Wiki from now on!

After reading #9 it seems to me that he should be 'excused' from the case on the grounds of stated prior prejudice.

Scalia is an idiot who hides behind the badgeof "constitutionalist".

We need more "Holmes" on the court!

Scalia is the type who would have supported the Dred Scott decision...
    Row, row, row your boat ...

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

I'm not sure. If Holmes was alive today, in these times, I wonder whether you would like him on the bench now. Different times, too many changes in culture etc.

It was the rule of black frocks for all that set him off.