Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: Jewell Build

Default Re: Jewell Build

From French and Webb Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Seems Clint already posted the link above, but here's the pic anyway.

Hoping there will be more pictures soon. What a beauty.

Brian

Like I said on FB...I'm sure we'll soon have some shots with out fenders and a dock in the background. She looks fantastic.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

bravo!

super petit voilier.

hervé
    Hervé Langlais

Bretagne, France

peu importe le travail, seul le résultat compte. (Carlo Riva)

Great!
    Ragnar B.

Really a beauty, please report sailing data... like how fast you sailed in what speed of wind etc?
    Would love to know what her sweet spot for pointing is?
    etc etc

thanks for sharing

Sorry for the delay. It has been a busy week.

She came out of the shop on Saturday:

We hurried to Rig her:

The wedding in Mattawamkeag was at 4PM.
    The ruling from Meg was we had to leave Belfast at 11AM.
    Thus ensued the shortest christening, launch and first sail at 10:30.
    With "jib and jigger" she zipped across Belfast harbor and was polite enough to sail back onto the dock in 15 Kt puffs.

Sunday, Ted and I trailered her to Stonington.
    Great camping at Old Quarry Ocean Adventures. Right on Webb Cove. Mostly Kayaks. Great place for small boat campers. This gives direct access to Merchants Row which has to be one off the best places to sail on the Maine Coast.

First day we took it easy. Double reefed, got to know the controls.

Monday we shook out all the sail. Nice beat to Isle Au Haut. Wind blew up to about 15 Kts. She doesn't mind that much breeze under full sail (but does get a bit too much weather helm). I suspect she'll best be single reefed at 15 Kts. Best speed was about 6.9 Kts? She is very dry to sail. Very well-mannered.

Here she is on a mooring at Old Quarry.

Tuesday was flat and foggy.
    No point is just motoring.

Wednesday we had to pack up for the Small Reach Regatta to sail Ted's Myst.

Now she's back at French and Webb for final touches.

It was excellent meeting JEWELL on Wed. She is stunning. After a couple years of planning and looking at computer files....she felt as spacious or more so than I felt looking at her on paper/screen, both in cabin and cockpit.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

Great job from everyone involved. Looks very comfortable under jib and mizzen. Would you expect heavy weather-helm at 15knt wind? Having been working on Mariettes sail rig these last few days, getting a good balance is an attribute i seek. Has she been ballasted?
    EDIT: Funny, i didnt even notice the toe-rail that i first thought looked odd. Peachy.

She looks mighty fine!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything"

Roosevelt, Theodore

She looks wonderful.

Why did you choose rollers on the trailer rather than bunks? I was advised otherwise for my trailer for Beg-Meil.

Gary

Roller vs Bunk Trailer question

The choice about a roller trailer was initially based on M. Vivier's recommendation.

I don't have a good drawing of Beg-Meils hull. I wonder if the difference in hull shapes, size and weight is the key.

The rollers work quite well.
    When you bring the Jewell onto the trailer the box keel slips between the opposing rollers, centering the boat.
    The rollers are multi-articulated. Each of the two sets on each side swivels fore and aft.
    Each set also swivels left and right.
    Each sub-set again swivels fore and aft.
    This makes the rollers automatically fit to the complex hull shape even if the boat is a hair off center.

There is a single bunk down the center of the trailer. The hope is that this gives extra support to the ballast which sits in the box keel ahead of the centerboard. I lower the centerboard to lie on this bunk which seems to stop it from vibrating on the trailer.

My older boat (a Flying Scot) travels on a bunk trailer. You center the Scot with rollers down the center of the trailer. This would not work for the Jewell due to the box keel which would run into the aft-most roller.

One piece of advice I got was that bunk trailers are preferable if your launchings are likely to be under well-controlled conditions. I believe there is a also a considerable saving.
    Roller trailers might be better for cross-winds or if there is a swell.

So far she has come back onto the trailer quite easily, even on a steep ramp.

Remember that we just launched her a hair over a week ago. She has only be off and on the trailer for two cycles.

Re balance.

I agree that we all seek balance. What better than to watch a boat sail itself with almost no hand on the tiller.

I am just starting to learn this boat. All I need to figure out is the correct tension on the three halyards, correct out-haul, correct sheeting, correct centerboard position. I get the sense that she is really quite well-balanced and forgiving. Any deficiency is to be chalked up to my in-experience.

If I want to make excuses, I would point to my buddy Ted who navigated me through a virtual rock garden west of Pell Island (44 04.944 68 37.88) .
    Some times having a good time, missing the rocks and marveling at how easily the boat moves through the greatest landscape in Maine, makes me willing to put up with a little weather helm which I plan to work on back home on Norway lake.

Ask me when I've sailed her more than two days.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank K. View Post
    Ask me when I've sailed her more than two days.
    Usually, weather helm will go by slackening the mizzen. But you bring up a good point. A new boat, especially one like JEWELL, takes time. I sailed and rowed in Elyssa at the SRR and reminded her owner a number of times that it takes 3 seasons to really get perfection on the boat, to know it well enough and have all the little tie offs, lines, and procedures dialed in.

And it need not be stressful because a well mannered boat will be patient with us while we learn her ways.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

With three sails to adjust, plus a centreboard which is adjustable, and the pedigree of Francois Vivier as designer, you can 100% rely on being able to balance her. You can actually see the mizzen is over sheeted in the sailing picture.

So much pleasure to be gained learning her ways, what makes her tick, so much fun ahead.

Brian

I for one would be glad to be kept upto date with your further sailing adventures and tuning process. I have to agree that new boat, new rig will need time to adjust and get the most out of,and i appriciate that your time aboard so far has been minmal. Are you having to submerge your tailer hubs or is she rolling off ok?

Congratulations to all people involved in construction of Jewell.
    Im in love with her since I got the first study plans from Francois.
    It was great to see pics of the finished beauty.
    I am busy at present in building Jewell too. I started last December and I do it as a homebuilder from a kit.
    Last days, I closed the keel box and layed down the keel bands. Next step is to lay down the garboard.
    I'm looking forward to see more pictures of the finished boat and to hear more from your experiences sailing her.

Beautiful boat and great build- congratulations all round!

I’ve been somewhat fascinated lately with the whole “kit” process. I wonder how much time a professional builder such as French & Webb saved by using a pre-cut kit. I’ve seen some pretty interesting boats out there that arrive in kit form or where the designer provides CNC cutting files, and was wondering if a builder takes the time saved into consideration when estimating the cost or do they simply go by the old “ boats cost by the pound” formula without taking into consideration the time saved when assembling from a kit.

The plans for Jewell include 2 sheets of 18 mm ply; 8 sheets of 12 mm ply; 14 sheets of 9 mm ply; 4 sheets of 3 mm ply ( for the coach top and hatch); and 4 sheets of ordinary ply (for the building frame).
    There are lots of parts to cut.
    The building frame, to which the bulkheads are bolted was quickly assembled. The major hull members came together easily with very little modification. It is really pretty amazing how Francois Vivier's drawings/computer plans get sent electronically to the CNC shop, resulting in parts that fit so well.

The combination of the accuracy of parts and the time saved made the use of a kit a no-brainer.

Each of the builders I approached had similar approach. Cost to the builder of materials plus a mark-up. Labor at a fixed rate. Each gave a similar estimate.

Peter Webb and I did this deal using an estimate and a hand shake. If you can find a builder who is interested in your project, who shares your vision of the boat, and who really knows his stuff you will be pleased.

On a pleasant note: Even though we sailed Leilu a few days, she went back to French and Webb for small items which hadn't been dealt with at her launching. Tomorrow she comes home to Penneseewassee (Norway) Lake.

After a long hiatus, I finally have a few photos of Leilu, my Jewell under sail.

Our cold, long winter and our dreary spring have finally eased their grip. My neighbor and dear friend Judy was kind enough to take these. I am truly blessed to be able to come home from work and mess around with this beautiful lake for my back yard.

Absolutely stunning Frank, love the cream sails

Beautiful indeed!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything"

Roosevelt, Theodore

Its really great to see the JEWELL getting built and used! It was only a few years ago that I worked with F. Vivier to design the boat. She was going to be my flagship for the boatbuilding and kit business I was starting up. She's still me flagship but in spirit! I named the boat after Jewell Island in Maine. That is a favorite place to go for overnights for many Portlanders. I plan to use the beaching legs there and sail in past all the moored boats.

The boat looks really good and it appears that Frank is getting her fine tuned! That is part of the joy of having a new boat and learning her ways.

BTW, in that last photo, I noticed the transom insert is not in. We drew in an insert that fairs out the outboard cut out and makes the transom look really nice.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

Great photos and a delight to see her in use. Its a shame a lot of build threads die as soon as a boat is launched, it should be mandatory that updates of the boat in use and photos are followed up......as much as we like the design and build process, we do it so we can go sailing eventually.

Clint's comments about the transom insert have got me laughing. Conscious of the fact that I had no good shots of Leilu under sail, I as our neighbor Judy to take a few. I thought I had remembered everything. No fenders hanging. Was the jib halyard snug? Were the docking lines stowed? I often use the torqeedo to get her in and out of our little cove. It is so well protected that good breezes rarely sneak in there. I'm always anxious to get out on the lake and sail. I was pleased with myself when I stowed the motor, not wanting to ruin the profile of the boat. Leave it to the designer's eye to pick up the one thing I forgot. I am so pleased to be sailing her, I had totally forgotten this neat item. As Roseanne Roseannadanna said: "It's always something".

HaHaHa, Frank. I'm terrible, please don't take it as criticism. That is funny though...I hate it when I leave the fenders out by accident!

Seriously, you are doing the design great service. So glad you are the first US owner!
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

Very nice! would love to see some pics showing how the interior turned out.
    My Sooty and other boats: https://lingeringlunacy.com/

As requested, here are some photos from inside the cabin. The cushions for the bunks are in process, but I think you can get the general idea. The bunks are 3/8 ply with a few inches of stowage underneath.

Portapottie on port side:

Stowage and table for food prep. The box has a forespar gimballed stove which uses a small propane tank the size you use for a camping lantern or soldering torch. LP gets stored in a cockpit locker. Stove mounts on a 4" tall piece of ply which slides into the companionway slot for the drop boards. This way you're really cooking outside of the cabin with the hatch open to avoid carbon monoxide from accumulating. The cuddy acts as a wind break:

Two shots looking forward:

Starboard Side looking aft:
    Cooler under the cockpit sole.
    A piece of teak is on the top of the forward end of the centerboard truck to act as a step.
    The stowage bins the the bulkhead are asymmetric. The one visible is accessed from inside. Its mirror image is accessed from the cockpit.

Frank, Do the portal-potti and cooler sit on the bottom planks or is there a sub floor?

Andrew they sit on the inside of the hull bottom, which is a stitch and glued/glassed bottom plank.

For the record, I can stretch out straight and take a nap on the berth down below. I am 6'6" tall!
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

for what its worth, this is an amazing little build, it hits many sweet spots and I think a regular car will have no problem towing her around

Quite nice Frank! Handsome boat with a simple and elegant layout.
    Was it painted by brush or sprayed?
    Did you consider other boats? Aside from Jewell, I'm interested in Dudley Dix's Cape Henry 21 too though I don't care for motor well addition there.
    I hope you have many wonderful sails this summer-
    EB
    My Sooty and other boats: https://lingeringlunacy.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dirc View Post
    for what its worth, this is an amazing little build, it hits many sweet spots and I think a regular car will have no problem towing her around
    Even a good 'ole Camry could tow a Jewell! This was definitely part of the design brief: to be light enough to tow without needing a heavy duty 4x4.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

So what about towing?

I tow Leilu with a V6 Tacoma. It is obviously overkill. On the other hand, the Jewell is wider than my truck (beam is 2.22 M = 7' 3.5"). The guy who made my trailer over-built it so she rides high as well. This is significant windage at 65 mph. Going up steep grades on the highway, I need to down shift.

So why did I pick the Jewell?

I ran into Clint when he did a presentation on Francois Vivier at a Small Reach Regatta. I started looking at Vivier designs. Due to age and medical issues, we needed a more stable boat.
    I'm not a fan of bowsprits. I am a fan of yawls. I planned to trailer her some. I wanted a cuddy to provide protection both so that you could weekend camp on her and so that the crew could sit in the lee of the housetop when the weather is bad. Lastly, I was simply smitten by her. The Jewell is the right boat at the right time for me.

I have not been disappointed. See next post.

So how does the Jewell sail?

I had the opportunity to take her down to Belfast last weekend. I have sailed her on our lake. This was the first time this year when I could really test her. We motored out to a mooring and tied up to make it easier to lace the mainsail on the mast. (I trailer her with the main still laced onto the gaff.)
    From there we never motored again until we got back. Just a few hundred feet out and in to the town ramp.

We started with a gentle (? 10 kt) breeze. Raising the centerboard a bit seemed to relieve the modest weather helm. When the breeze came up over 15 we put in the first reef. She sails easily with a light tiller, about 10 degrees heal seems right.

We headed back in as the wind rose. As a summer storm cloud front rolled in we agreed to drop the main. Reefing is easy. The Ronstan continuous line fuller brings in the jib in a couple of seconds without leaving the cockpit. With the mizzen sheeted hard, she parks her nose into the wind. Once the main was lashed onto the gaff, she sat there gently drifting back. With the storm front passed, we headed back in jib and jigger. We were able to make about 5.3 kts headway into an estimated 22 kt wind. At the end of the afternoon things quieted down again and we shook out the reef, coasting in on a beautiful gentle breeze.

The sails set wonderfully (Gambell and Hunter). The loose foot allows easy adjustment of draft of the main.

The helm is light.

I don't think we heeled more than 15 degrees at any time. The cockpit is very dry with almost no spray. She moved well with little air. She makes you feel secure, making sure progress to weather in a good breeze. She really seems to have met Clint's goals of a boat which is both stable for your passengers who are uncomfortable with a tippy boat, as well as fun to sail for the rest of us.

I still have to figure out when to sail with a second reef. The double reefed main has nearly the same sail area as the jib and mizzen together.
    I have to figure out if she likes to heave to in the traditional manner. (Heaving to using the mizzen is so easy I haven't tried traditional reefing)

So today I am a happy sailor.

Next week we take her to Canandaigua Lake, then to Champlain on the way back home.

Frank,

Congrats on the boat she is a beautiful design. I wrestled with deciding on one of FV designs for a long time and went back and forth numerous times and almost picked Jewell. In the end though as a first build I thought it might be a bridge too far and I really wanted something a little more economical and more importantly something that I could either loft or build from templates. You are very lucky to have her and I will keep an eye out for your updates
    Enjoy your new boat!!