Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jewell Build

Default Re: Jewell Build

Very precise and neat. This is obviously not your first build.

That boat looks perfect for where I sail - the Hauraki Gulf in Auckland, New Zealand. I saw on Vivier's website that the plan is available only as a kit. Is there any way to purchase the plans if you live in a country where the kit is unavailable?

Email vivier

Endorse Andrew, email Francois, he replies in excellent english within 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpatrol View Post
    Email vivier
    Thanks for the advice. I emailed Mr Vivier and he said that within a year (that was the time-frame I mentioned) he should have a solution for someone in my position. I was very pleased to hear that!

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Quick View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I emailed Mr Vivier and he said that within a year (that was the time-frame I mentioned) he should have a solution for someone in my position. I was very pleased to hear that!
    Andrew Denman can have kits cut...it is not his primary thing, but he may take on Jewell esp. if there is some possibility of building a commissioned one.

I'm getting excited to see JWL #1 and maybe help rig and sea trial her....

Clint
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

When and where will the launch be?
    Tim Marchetti
    CNC Routing & Design
    www.cncroutinganddesign.com

As to a launch date:
    We were hoping for the middle of this month. Note the word hoping.
    I now hope for the next few weeks.
    It is always amazing how many details there are.

Launch will be in Belfast Harbor.

Sorry for any delay

I am just back from a cruise on Muscongus Bay. Lots of fog/drizzle...only two good days of good breeze out of 7. It is interesting how a beautiful sail at the end of a cruise, improves how the whole time is remembered.

Getting back to post #35 from John How.

The coach top is made from 3 layers of 3 mm ply laminated together. All the decks including the coach top are covered with a single layer of glass, then faired with West Epoxy / 407 Filler Mixture.

I was just down to Belfast yesterday. Walking on the roof, it feels quite solid. No give whatsoever. This is before the slider for the hatch and the grab rail are installed. Presumably, these will give even more stability and prevent any sag...at least in the fore and aft direction. The arch of the roof and the laminations provide the stiffness left-to right.

If you make this sort of roof, there are two ways to do it. Because of the size of the roof, the individual layers are each scarfed together with pre-cut CNC finger scarfs. This makes for "U"-shaped pieces with hole for the hatch in the center. A temporary arch has to be clamped in place at the forward edge of the hatch cut out to keep the arc of the roof fair.

Another tactic might be to laminate the roof and hatch in one piece (then cut the hatch out of the finished roof) . That eliminates the need for the temporary arch. The arc of the hatch matches the roof nicely. It leaves you with a hatch two kerf-widths narrower than the opening. This may or may not be a problem depending on how you are arranging the slider for your hatch.

I hope this helps.

Thanks a bunch Frank, I will give it a try one of these days soon. My hatch will overlap the roof so I will have to laminate it sepererately. Our boats are really quite similar, yours being about a foot longer. If the Jewell plans had been available when I bought mine, I probably would have gone that way. As it is, mine is modified to be the size it is and is straining my brain to make it all work. Maybe that's a good thing though. I look forward to the launch of your boat, mine won't make till next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank K. View Post
    As to a launch date:
    We were hoping for the middle of this month. Note the word hoping.
    I now hope for the next few weeks.
    It is always amazing how many details there are.

Launch will be in Belfast Harbor.
    I'd love to see her go in. Clint, if you are going to be there, perhaps you could let me know
    Tim Marchetti
    CNC Routing & Design

Frank, could you tell me what they have finished the bottom/outside of hull with please, as far as paints and/or epoxy

Andrew

The outside of the hull should have been glassed and epoxy coated. I know they used VC17 freshwater paint for the bottom.

I think a graphite bottom on JWL would be good for trailering.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

Sticky Please!

I think the centerboard should be given a name of it's own... "Black Beauty"

the amount of internal structure seems bewildering, is there as much as it looks there is, are each of those bulkheads, partial bulkeheads and baffels creating various storage/hull compartments or will some of that be removed once the hull is complete?

congrats Clint. hull lines look great, shades of the Indian sailing dory, but with a more plum bow and powerfull transom
    I also like the idea of the shallow weighted box keel.

Thanks Clinton, so would they have only done just the garboards with glass or a few planks up each side. I'm building a 22 ft lapstrake and collecting info about glassing at least the first few strakes, but tossing up whether or not its possible to do, either each plank separately or sand down plank edges and run cloth over all planks together. What sort of cloth to use is another question. I have no experience in glassing.

I was thinking about glassing the first couple strakes of my lapstrake boat but after doing the garboards, I gave it up. It was a real pain. I did give them several coats of cpes before painting. I think if you were to apply the glass to each strake after beveling but before installing the next plank it might be easier but there is really no way I found to make the glass turn the corners of the strakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    Sticky Please!

I think the centerboard should be given a name of it's own... "Black Beauty"

the amount of internal structure seems bewildering, is there as much as it looks there is, are each of those bulkheads, partial bulkeheads and baffels creating various storage/hull compartments or will some of that be removed once the hull is complete?

congrats Clint. hull lines look great, shades of the Indian sailing dory, but with a more plum bow and powerfull transom
    I also like the idea of the shallow weighted box keel.
    Thanks, Dan. I was mainly acting as "client" for FV. It was a great collaboration nonetheless.

Regarding the C/B. I was adamant that we used a NACA foil and did not use a SS or galv. steel plate like many of his other boats...keeping this boat affordable was a goal!

The interior is a little busy, but all the compartments serve to make storage compartments and stiffeners as well as wells for water to collect and be drained out via Elvstrom bailers.

One of my favorite comments from Mr. Vivier when we were doing the lines came when I redrew the sheer with more spring fore and aft...I was afraid he would be offended. He said, "bah...Ameri-cannes...they love sheer...more sheer, more sheer...it makes the boat look broken".

Andrew, I believe we spec'd 10 oz for the bottom. 6 oz would be OK, too.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

So John you cut the cloth to fit just the one plank? Does the cloth pull and stretch out of shape much?

The box keel, the sole, and the garboard are all glassed. I think this provides a bit of abrasion protection as well as strength. (There is also a stainless strapping down the stem and box keel to allow brief beachings / landings. Out islands are pretty pebble-strewn). The upper strakes were only epoxied.
    This photo shows the difference of these two areas.

The primer is Interprotect 2000. This gives good protection from water penetration and good adhesion.
    This boat will spend most of its time on our lake. It will be traillered to the the coast for weekends or short cruises. We chose VC17m for the bottom paint. We really don't need much in the way of anti-fouling.
    Topside paint will probably be Interlux Perfection.

Here are some progress photos.

Last week the Main Mast was raised temporarily (close fit on the heating pipes).

Slider for the hatch is started.

The rub rail is on. The toe rail is is being fit.

Looking peachy! Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank K. View Post
    Here are some progress photos.

Last week the Main Mast was raised temporarily (close fit on the heating pipes).

Oh, there she is....man isn't she just a beautiful thing. It makes me so happy to see her this way. I want to pick her up and give her a big HUG!
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

Is the mast tabernacle on the cabin or in front? Hard to tell, how about a shot of that when you get a chance.

The tabernacle is bolted onto the bulkhead which makes up the front of the cabin. It is thicker than most of the other bulkheads (18 mm vs 12 mm).

This is a picture of the tabernacle from the metal shop:

Here it is on the foredeck before the cabintop was put on:

I hope this helps.

Frank

updates? luanch date?
    Tim Marchetti
    CNC Routing & Design

I'd like to come to the launch, too, if the timing worked out. Update?

Steven

Here's some pics from 7/22:

Peter did I very nice job on the hatch.

That is Meg surveying her(our) boat.

Still lots to get done.
    Peter and his crew are shooting for trying her out on 8/3

Nice fabrication on that tabernacle. Looking goooood.

Man, that sheer came out great. I also like Peter's interpretation of the toe rail....there was something that was not perfect about it and he found it and fixed it! I like how it is continuous aft and tapers.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

I cant say i understand a toe-rail like that. Given that they are the last chance of stopping anything from rolling off the deck, why cut them short like that?

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I cant say i understand a toe-rail like that. Given that they are the last chance of stopping anything from rolling off the deck, why cut them short like that?
    Maybe so they don't cut into your rear-end when you are hiking out on the quarter deck?

This boat is looking real nice, I have a feeling she is going to perform as well as she looks. Can't wait for in the water photos.
    The wife says I can have a mistress as long as she has ribs made of white oak.

Quote Originally Posted by esingleman View Post
    Maybe so they don't cut into your rear-end when you are hiking out on the quarter deck?

This boat is looking real nice, I have a feeling she is going to perform as well as she looks. Can't wait for in the water photos.
    It may be a French thing....to reduce apparent freeboard??? I'm sure it is functional, but do not know what.

I agree with you, she just may perform as well as she looks. That would be awesome.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

Blue. Peter sent me a shot after the 1st coat of paint. She looks longer from this angle than her 5.99 meters.

Frank emailed me to let me know that they launched their Jewell on Sat and sailed out of Belfast Harbor under jib and mizzen. They are sailing Penobscot Bay and will report back. It sounds like a success so far.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

Wow. Wow Clint. I can't wait to see her this weekend.

Congratulations Clint and Vivier, Frank, and French and Webb!

Wow.