Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Jewell Build

Default Jewell Build

I note that French and Webb have started construction on the Clint Chase / Francois Vivier's design Jewell.
    http://frenchwebb.com/blog/category/current-projects/

I have admired this design since I first saw it.

One hopes she sails as well as she looks.

Frank K.

Default Re: Jewell Build

Wow, that's awesome! I'll have to get up there this summer and check it out. I've seen Clint a few times in the past week and he didn't mention it.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Wow, that's awesome! I'll have to get up there this summer and check it out. I've seen Clint a few times in the past week and he didn't mention it.

Steven
    I'm so happy that a Jewell is being built that it went right out of my mind when I talked to you Steven. If I were not so busy teaching and working on the next rowboat design, I'd be starting my own Jewell. In the meantime, I will live vicariously through the new Jewell owners and the fine builders at French & Webb, who have started setting up the kit components.

This is the strongback and bulkheads setting up and a screenshot of how it looks on the computer screen. This is my favorite part of my work: seeing virtual reality becoming physical reality...and would you know everything is going smoothly!!!

VIRTUAL REALITY

BuildingSetUpModel by Clint Chase Boatbuilder, on Flickr

PHYSICAL REALITY

Setting up Jewell Bulkheads by Clint Chase Boatbuilder, on Flickr

Setting up Jewell Bulkheads by Clint Chase Boatbuilder, on Flickr
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Updates: Planking is underway. Garboards going on.

Chris by Clint Chase Boatbuilder, on Flickr

DSC_0003 by Clint Chase Boatbuilder, on Flickr

That is the keel.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

Excellent! Nothing like seeing a new design come together for the first time.

Awesome. This is great!

Looking forward to continuing updates!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Also looking forward to ongoing updates. Great looking design!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything"

Roosevelt, Theodore

Here are some up-dated photos:

Lead scraps and shot epoxied into fore section of box keel

Finger Scarfs were very precise from CNC work. They needed to be loosed up to allow enough epoxy into the joint. All are glassed inside and out.

Center Board in progress

Hull is planked

More Updates:

Keel and 1st Strake glassed. Rest of hull sealed with epoxy.

Laminated false stem applied.

View from aft.

Lamination of the tiller

Centerboard being shaped and glassed.

Rudder Head back from the machine shop.

That bottom looks fast!
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

I see you went with finger scarfs on this boat as opposed to the puzzle joints on the KDI. Better, stronger, faster?
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

With the thicker plywood, not any weaker and quicker to cut and program on the CNC. This is the first kit I used them. For areas like on a garboard, they need to be glass reinforced. But I like the NC scarfs a lot.

Here is video I took while cutting an NC Scarf.

http://youtu.be/FcVlJWgAqNg
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

Thats a great looking hull! Someone is bound to ask what the could moulded boat with the raised deck is next to it, looks kinda interesting too.

Nice fabrication on the rudder head.

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton B Chase View Post
    Updates: Planking is underway. Garboards going on.

Chris by Clint Chase Boatbuilder, on Flickr

DSC_0003 by Clint Chase Boatbuilder, on Flickr

That is the keel.
    Those fillets look GOOD!

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Communication Problem:

With a designer in one place, an owner in another, a naval architect on another continent, and a shop in yet another place, it is amazing that things have gone so smoothly. For instance, the CNC building frame and parts were terrific. They went together with no real problems. Lots of labor was saved.

Who would have thought that what I had seen in my minds eye as a gaff yawl would turn into a submarine?

Well, at least she is faired and primed. Hopefully we'll get the shop back on track after the holiday weekend.

That's more like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank K. View Post
    With a designer in one place, an owner in another, a naval architect on another continent, and a shop in yet another place, it is amazing that things have gone so smoothly. For instance, the CNC building frame and parts were terrific. They went together with no real problems. Lots of labor was saved.
    Music, sweet music. It has gone well. Still a lot to do, mostly for F & W. But we should keep looking ahead and asking/answering questions and get ready for Frank's big launch day.

Looking at that sheer, I am already so glad I pushed for a little more spring forward..it is going to be sweet.
    Last edited by Clinton B Chase; 05-26-2013 at 08:06 PM.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

I can now prove that I have seen the Jewell in person!

Jewell hull #2 5/29/2013 by Clint Chase Boatbuilder, on Flickr

Others:

In red, is Frank K the proud owner. Thanks, Frank for doing this project!
    In black is Peter Webb, owner of French and Webb. The bearded guy is Landing School grad and finest boatbuilder, Chris G.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

Annie loves weekly shop visits. Lots of scraps / chips to chew on.

Bare Ply is the cockpit sole.

Perforated ply will be forward part of bunks.

The forward cockpit widens... Big enough to lie down. Here's a view of the access ports . Rectangular holes will carry Andersen (Elvstom) bailers.

Wider view of the cockpit

The step for the mizzen. In place but not yet epoxied.

Centerboard is done. Glassed, then coated with epoxy mixed with graphite.

The forward cockpit widens... Big enough to lie down. Here's a view of the access ports . Rectangular holes will carry Andersen (Elvstom) bailers.

We actually made sure in the drawing of the boat that someone of average height could lie down athwartship...so with a cockpit tent, someone could have a nice sleep!

Wider view of the cockpit

The self-bailing option makes for a shallower cockpit. The sole could be lower for a deeper cockpit here, but you would lose the self-draining. The Elvstrom bailers will drain the cockpit via the sumps on each end of c'pit.

The step for the mizzen. In place but not yet epoxied.

We wanted the mizzen to be on the centerline of the boat and the tiller to pass under it. Full credit goes to Vivier for this arrangement. I thought it was nifty.

Centerboard is done. Glassed, then coated with epoxy mixed with graphite.

Great choice on the graphite. I think it is the way to go. I coated the entire bottom of my sailing skiff this way and time will tell how that holds up. But I think it is a nice way to go. Easy to repair and refair over time.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

A laminated fir beam has been added under the aft deck.

After lots of thoughts about the pluses and minuses of various outboards, I chose the Torqeedo 1003
    Time will tell if this is the right choice, but for now the pluses of size and weight seem to outweigh the
    issues of cost, and range. Ask me in two years what I think.

A fir strip is added to support the side deck. The cockpit sole is glasses and faired.

The bridge deck is now installed. The un-finished piece on the centerline is the cap of the centerboard trunk.
    I think is will be a good place for crew/passengers to sit in the lea of the cabin if (when) the weather pipes up.

The fore deck pieces are being fitted.

Just for fun Peter stepped the mizzen. You can see the cabin sides being fitted.

I'll be interested to know what you think of the Torqueedo after using it for awhile. I used a 55 lb thrust trolling motor to push my 2000 lb Cape Dory Typhoon around the marina when I had it docked at Folsom Lake. The trolling motor was fine for getting into and out of the slip but didn't seem very effective against wind or tide. IIRC, the Minn-Kota motor drew about 33 amps at peak load or about 400 watts, which would make it about 20% lower power than the Torqueedo. I never did understand the high cost of the Torqueedo compared to the trolling motors, but perhaps it's better made, and it does have the integrated lithium battery and a prop designed for primary propulsion rather than trolling (of course, you can buy a Kipawa prop for a trolling motor, which I've heard can help somewhat).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roosevelt, Theodore

It is not my intent to transform this into a discussion of the torqeedo: We are hoping for a launch in mid July. We will see if this unit stands the test of time. I forsee using the motor for when the breeze dies on the way back home. Whether this motor will be able to help when the wind pipes up to scary is unclear. The claim is that the 1003 is equivalent to a 4 HP gas engine. Thrust is listed at 68 #. Torqeedo claims that trolling motors are rated in some different manner than they use. When run at full throttle, the torqeedo battery will only run for 25 minutes ( compared to 2 hours at 1/2 throttle).

I had intended to use a gas motor for back up propulsion. You can motor for farther than you want on a small amount of gas. Space in the locker for the motor was the deciding factor. I envision taking the motor off the stern when it is not needed. The light weight of the torqeedo and the fact that it comes in 3 pieces seem a bonus when I think about my aging back.

All of this is hypothetical. We'll see how the motor performs once we get her launched.

More important: How will she handle under sail?

Didn't intend to side-track the thread. As you said, when there's wind, you can sail. My primary issue with the electric was in keeping head-to-wind when raising/lowering sails. When my boat was at the marina, I mostly single-handed, and occasionally it was a bit of a chore to keep her pointed into the wind. A stronger motor might have helped, but the difficulty wasn't enough to make me want to swap. I loved the quietness of the electric motor.

Roosevelt, Theodore

I knew this boat was going to be a beauty, and it is. Thanks for sharing the build with photos. This is great stuff.

Erick
    The wife says I can have a mistress as long as she has ribs made of white oak.

More important: How will she handle under sail?
    I have to bight on this one and, yes, I know I am biased. Having sailed FV's other boats, and looking at the lightweight construction of the boat...I am going to stick my head out and say that JEWELL is going to be positively delightful, fun, fast, and -- with a spinnaker on a reach -- an exhilarating boat. With the form stability built into the lines of the boat, she will also be stable.

Can't wait.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

Thumbs up Re: Jewell Build

I kind of like it.
    A lot!

That stem and sheer profile really work! Thanks for the updates. The cockpit layout is an interesting one. Look forward to more progress.

The housetop is laminated. Visually this makes for a big step in progress. Note that the foredeck and side decks are also in place.

Reminiscing about working with Vivier while visiting in France a couple years ago...she was just a hull in digital space then.

002 by Clint Chase Boatbuilder, on Flickr
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

Very nice looking boat Frank, I'm sure your very excited about it. I have a question, How many and how thick are the roof lamination's and will there be any beams under the roof for support. I am just about to do the same on my boat and am trying to figure a way to do the roof without beams if possible to avoid any head knockers as I don't have a lot of height in there.