Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 253435
Results 1,191 to 1,212 of 1212

Thread: A Boat for the Tasman

Default Re: A Boat for the Tasman

I've spent a bit of time on two boats with Emerclad decks. It's a little grippy just rolled on flat, but a little slippery like that as well. One of the boats was finished with crossed coarse brush strokes and I'd describe it as acceptable, although probably for what you're after you'll be wanting to get more texture to the surface as described...
    The Emerclad does seem very durable, it gets a bit grubby.

Cheers, Mikey

ps Masina looks like a gorgeous boat, makes me think of some of the L Francis Herreschoff designs.

Thanks Mikey. I think any of the more textured finishes are going to get a bit grubby. I find the single or two pack finishes, which are essentially paint with grit in them, don't get grubby but they always seem to me to have that degree of slipperiness.

I've never really thought of Masina as similar to a Herreshoff - I have Herreshoff's book so I'll have a better look. Masina is often compared to Stormvogel, the Van de Stadt racer from the 60s.

Work on Masina is progressing SO slowly at present due to other commitments. I planned on continuing with the deck painting today but it's raining
    Rick

'Raining' doesn't do justice to the deluge I'm waiting out here....

That shot of Masina in slings in post 1 just had me thinking of a grown up Rozinante, obviously there are no shortage of differences.
    Last edited by Mikey Floyd; 03-30-2015 at 05:50 PM.

Rick,

I saw a couple of posts in another thread where you are looking for a boarding ladder. I used to have a Shannon 38, it had genoa track mounted on top of the toe rail and I had a ladder from these folks (http://www.mysticstainless.com/foldaway.html) which mounted on the genoa track and folded up between the stanchions. It was very stable and worked nicely. The only drawback was that the stand off legs were cut to different lengths to fit the curvature of the hull, so it could only be used on the Port side of the boat. It lived in the gate usually, but because the genoa track ran past the gate (as it does on Masina) I could slide it to one side of the gate if I had a slip with a port side tie up.
    One warning though, they are expensive. I'd think you could have one made up locally though.

Bill

Thanks Bill! Masina actually has a removeable ladder, a standard chandlery item, not unlike this one. The problem is the awkward and unstable way it connects to the deck. Your ladder looks like a better arrangement. I think I'll use the existing ladder but have a couple of brackets made up to fit to the track, bulwark or deck. I'm also thinking of a way of fixing the lifelines so that they can be dropped out of the way but remain tight. I like the idea of having the ladder amidships as it allows the stays to be used for boarding, rather than stanchions, which are weak. I hadn't thought of using track - good idea!

Rick

Rick many years ago I had a trimaran which had about 17 acres of deck! I finished the deck with a textured product intended to make villa board houses look like they are rendered. Water based. There were a couple of different grade additives available, which I think were different sizes of ground cork. I think I used coarse on some of the larger expanses, and fine on cockpit seats. It went on with a scotchbrite roller. I masked off with about a mile of masking tape. It looked pretty good, the grip was good, reasonably soft on bare feet and knees. It did wear away where a mooring rope was constantly sawing back and forth in one spot. But overall I was very happy with it and it was relatively cheap.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to use Emer-clad. It's similar in purpose and probably look to what you used but, I don't think it actually has any aggregate in it. Masina's deck is already roughish due to the cork underlay so it doesn't really need too much texture added, except that it is still smooth in some areas. As far as I can tell, Emer-clad, like Kiwi Grip, is just a solid acrylic and the texture comes from the roller. I'm going down to Gosford soon to check out Emer-clad and talk to the manufacturer about textures and tinting, and look at some samples.

Rick

Just been doing a bit more deck and cockpit painting with Awlgrip. Slug recommended the good foam rollers for this a while ago. I ordered some and have been trying them out. They really are excellent - that was great advice. No need for tipping off at all so far. The result isn't perfect but it's as close to perfect as I'm ever going to get with my painting skills! Busy making new copper bolts for stanchions today.

Rick

The foam rollers they sell here in the chandleries to be used with two pot paint have a nasty habit of getting past about 1/2 to 1 square metre and beginning to disintegrate. I've been told the right ones to get but haven't needed to find them yet. What brand are yours ,Rick?

I've had that problem with other ones too. The ones I'm using are Corona brand. It's an American company www.coronabrushes.com but I bought them from a place in Sydney. I got onto them by chasing up Corona badger brushes, which had been recommended to me. Corona in the US put me onto the local supplier.

Rick

I use rollers I get from Duck Flat, sort of a thin grey foam spiral wrapped around a cardboard tube. They don't fall apart.

I'm sure there are plenty that are okay, and, of course, it depends on the paint. I found that the epoxy primer I use is really tough on rollers. I got some hairy ones to use with the primer, supposed to be compatible with poly paints, and they were fine with the epoxy primer. I got them at the local boat bits shop at Lemon Tree. The Corona ones are called `ultra smooth' and they really are. They leave a beautiful finish.

Rick

The headwaters of the Petaluma River and up a hill. ,CA

Ive been using Kiwi Grip myself Rick. I have a gallon or so lying around. Its , as you said, just like thick acrylic that textures from the roller. It does have a slightly rubbery feel to it when dry I suppose but more like, well, thick paint.
    ..don't judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes..

Do you like it?

Rick

Progress:

Masina's currently on the slip at Nelson Bay having topsides paint repaired. The local mooring company serviced a neighbouring mooring but replaced it incorrectly, causing the other boat to scrape our topsides. I also managed to scrape the other side by letting a line jam the prop right at our local marina ....

Anyway, I'm using this opportunity to fit rubbing strips over the cove stripe. They're about 28mm x 40mm and tapered at the ends. I've made them by scarfing lengths of PNG rosewood. I'm currently glassing them, having dry fitted them. They look good. They'll be painted the hull colour and I'll run a bronze strip (4mm x 20mm) along the outer face. I've bevelled the top for runoff and bevelled the gluing surface to keep the top bevel in the same plane. I've also coved the bottom edge so that water will drip off the strips. I'll post photos of the new work soon.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I'll post photos of the new work soon.
    We expect nothing less.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Sooooo .....
    Photobucket locked all my/our posted photos up when they decided to blackmail us all into paying some extortionate amount for hosting photos but now they've relented and are letting the photos out as long as I pay them $1.99 a month, which ain't bad! So, here we are again! I'll keep using this thread as a general Masina record. I have another thread going called Installing a New Nanni which I'll still contribute to but I'll let it fizzle out once the engine-related stuff is complete.

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 02-07-2019 at 04:42 PM.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to use Emer-clad. It's similar in purpose and probably look to what you used but, I don't think it actually has any aggregate in it. Masina's deck is already roughish due to the cork underlay so it doesn't really need too much texture added, except that it is still smooth in some areas. As far as I can tell, Emer-clad, like Kiwi Grip, is just a solid acrylic and the texture comes from the roller. I'm going down to Gosford soon to check out Emer-clad and talk to the manufacturer about textures and tinting, and look at some samples.

Rick
    How did this work out Rick? Did you go with the emer-clad?

Sooooo .....
    Photobucket locked all my/our posted photos up when they decided to blackmail us all into paying some extortionate amount for hosting photos but now they've relented and are letting the photos out as long as I pay them $1.99 a month, which ain't bad! So, here we are again! I'll keep using this thread as a general Masina record. I have another thread going called Installing a New Nanni which I'll still contribute to but I'll let it fizzle out once the engine-related stuff is complete.

Rick
    There’s a Firefox plugin that unlocks them.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    How did this work out Rick? Did you go with the emer-clad?
    No, I decided to go with Kiwigrip. The standard colour perfectly matches our Awlgrip finish. I do like the Kiwigrip too, I've decided.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    There’s a Firefox plugin that unlocks them.
    Thanks but .... no no no no ....

Rick

Cheers