Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12312 ... LastLast

Thread: A Boat for the Tasman

Default Re: A Boat for the Tasman

IIRC there is an old article in Classic Boat on a boat called Sina being built in NZ, I wonder if it's the same Sina?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Yes, it's that Sina

Rick

Beautiful boat. I'll be following this with great interest.

And the dimensions:

LOA 11.58m or 38'
    LWL 10.50m or 34'
    Beam 2.9m or 9.5'
    Draft 1.6m or 5'
    Disp 6.2t or 6.1 tons

The previous owner has just sent me this link to a current advertisement for Sina (not Masina!) http://www.sandemanyachtcompany.co.uk/details/438/Mudie-53-ft-Yawl-1994-/yacht-for-sale/ I read on another website that she'd been sold so I'm not sure how current this link is. Interesting site though!

Rick

That bilge is a disgrace!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    That bilge is a disgrace!!
    I agree ! I hope Rick starts to take care of that boat, it has potential.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    And the dimensions:

LOA 11.58m or 38'
    LWL 10.50m or 34'
    Beam 2.9m or 9.5'
    Draft 1.6m or 5'
    Disp 6.2t or 6.1 tons

The previous owner has just sent me this link to a current advertisement for Sina (not Masina!) http://www.sandemanyachtcompany.co.uk/details/438/Mudie-53-ft-Yawl-1994-/yacht-for-sale/ I read on another website that she'd been sold so I'm not sure how current this link is. Interesting site though!

Rick
    That link is a little strange Rick.
    Grateful Dead

definitely a thread to watch.
    so where in nz are you starting from?
    Zane

From Nelson.

Sorry about the link Peter - it dosn't seem to be working. I'll try again!

http://www.sandemanyachtcompany.co.uk/details/438/Mudie-53-ft-Yawl-1994-/yacht-for-sale/

Let's see if that works!

Rick

Last edited by johnno; 02-28-2013 at 05:43 AM.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

That doesn't work for me either John.

BTW, should anyone have a pile of old Classic Boat magazines the "Sina " article is the Dec. 1996 issue, No.102.
    Grateful Dead

Done ! What a beauty !
    Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead

Rick I'd go a soft dodger, with a robust frame. I think it would be very hard to make a hard dodger that did not detract from her asthetics, but a softie would be fine. Also nice to be able to fold it forward and out of the way sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    That doesn't work for me either John.

BTW, should anyone have a pile of old Classic Boat magazines the "Sina " article is the Dec. 1996 issue, No.102.
    Now I know why I kept all those magazines. Just blew the dust off my copy and read the article - the story is a great complement to the drool-inducing photos on the websites.
    Good start to a rainy Friday.

CM

{Like} {Like} {Like}
    Await dreams, loves, life; | There is always tomorrow. | Until there is not.

Grieving love unsaid. | Tomorrow will fail someday. | Tell them today, OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Rick I'd go a soft dodger, with a robust frame. I think it would be very hard to make a hard dodger that did not detract from her asthetics, but a softie would be fine. Also nice to be able to fold it forward and out of the way sometimes.

I agree, I like the california types.( or whatever they're called).

That's what I suspect too - but that's just me.

Okay, the journey:

Bringing a boat into Australia is somewhere between almost impossible and quite easy, and I've heard it described in those extreme terms by those who've done it. But so far, this is what I know:

Tax
    Firstly, goods coming into Australia worth over $1000 are subject to 10% goods and services tax. This means that 10% of the purchase price (or valuation if the price is suspect) of the boat must be paid upon entry, along with various Australian Customs processing costs. If the boat was built in NZ or USA, there is no other tax, as we have a free trade agreement across the Pacific. If the boat was built anywhere else, then there's a further import tax of 5%. In our case, we have to provide a builder's certificate to prove that the boat was built in NZ, so I'm currently in contact with the builder about that.

Masina has no refrigeration. But if the boat does have refrigeration, then there's a very substantial additional fee - around $500, for a refrigeration gas licence (something like that) and there can be additional charges for disposing of the refrigerant if it's non-compliant with Australian regulations.

Customs
    In theory, customs processing and negotiation can be completed by the person bringing in the boat. But according to Customs, and everyone else I've spoken to, this is a bad idea. Basically, there are various forms to be submitted and Customs have to be notified of the entry of the boat at least 96 hours prior to arrival in an Australian port. This is a strict rule and there are fines and grief for those who don't comply. Customs entry documentation can be submitted prior to arrival or upon entry. The owner can commence this process upon arrival but this can take several days, and there are high charges involved due to impounding of the boat. The documentation can only be submitted prior to arrival through Aust Customs software, but ..... only licensed customs brokers have access to the software. And there are Aust Quarantine requirements ....... more on that later. In short, a broker is the way to go, so I've contracted a broker to manage the entry process. To be frank (or Frankk), there's soooo much to do in arranging this whole enterprise that having a broker to manage the official side of this delivery, is a bit of a blessing.

More later.

Rick

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Wow, good boat!! She looks brand new!!!

Thanks again everyone! And don't worry - aesthetics are very important to me, and I have a general view that function, efficiency and form are very closely related! If (big, and unlikely, IF), we were to go with a hard dodger, we'd be looking at design and compatibility very carefully. I must add though, that most of my very favourite boats do have hard dodgers. But it's for much later consideration! I reiterate, after sailing Masina close to 100, 000 miles, a lot of it in the high latitudes, Noel Barrott put a soft dodger on his next boat. To me that just about closes the case!

Rick

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

my ugly ass dodger is by far, the best real estate on the boat!!
    I'm sure yours will look better, and be just as valuable.
    Kiwis ever built a bad boat?

I have the same dilemma. I want a soft dodger so it can be put down in fair weather, but I have all sorts of rigging in the way of doing that. It might have to be a hard dodger. Of course the siren call of that particular option is a place to put solar out of the way.
    Then there's the compromise.. hard top on SS posts and clears around( which is the california style soft dodger look I like.)

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Kiwis ever built a bad boat?
    Well, they do go on about these scows ...... but, I have to say, they do seem to know their craft!

Rick

Rick , I've been told by the Customs and Quarantine people here that if you are importing a boat , one of the first things to do is engage the services of a Customs broker.
    Regards Rob J.

And there are Aust Quarantine requirements ....... more on that later.
    Take a chicken! Dare ya!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Its a good idea to be there for the Customs / AQIS inspections. We told our broker that we wanted to be there when our container was opened. We did that yesterday and helped the AQIS guy when he couldn't find one chassis number. All very smooth.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

re the dodger, you're going about it the right way, eyes open, mind open but with experience and opinions to guide you, and there's no rush. I'm confident you'll get it right and I'm looking forward to seeing the boat one day, with or without a dodger.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Take a chicken! Dare ya!
    I might borrow one in Nelson to check for wetas!

Its a good idea to be there for the Customs / AQIS inspections
    Good advice. When bringing loads in from Vietnam and PNG, I've been there with the AQIS people.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Rick , I've been told by the Customs and Quarantine people here that if you are importing a boat , one of the first things to do is engage the services of a Customs broker.
    Regards Rob J.
    Yep. Mike (Wooden Boat Fittings) sent me some correspondence relating to import of the kind of fishing boat that you'd be interested in Rob. If you were to go with one of those Scandinavian boats you particularly like, you'd need to factor in a 15% import duty on top of the very likely need for AQIS inspections etc., given the age, construction and former work of these boats. I hope Masina will be a bit more straightforward but I'll try to cover all bases, if possible, anyway. Forewarned is forearmed, as they say!

Rick

You hear the words "pride of ownership" all the time but those words really ring true after seeing those photos!

Congratulations Rick!
    ​Aloha, Ken

Thanks Ken! I have to say, the fellow I've bought the boat from has looked after it really well. He refurbished the interior, rig and the cockpit, among other things, in 2004 and has maintained it in exceptional condition ever since. He's an exceptional craftsman in his own right. He also cruised the boat quite extensively. I don't have his woodworking skills but I'll be trying very hard to maintain something close to his standard!

Talofa! Rick

How do cruising visitors cope with all that customs stuff? Sounds mad. In 2000 when we came back from PNG we had a very easy process into Townsville. We had done a bit of dodgy stuff which could have made it hell for us-the boat was not Australian registered-I had to apply for aussie rego to leave Australian waters, but deliberately didn't complete the process because I didn't want to pay 40% duty as a foreign boat coming into PNG. We never really cleared into PNG properly (Bibs and braces approach to not paying import duty) so we didn't get customs clearance on the way out. Just got a stamp in our passports at the immigration office in town. When we arrived in Townsville I looked dumb (not too hard) and explained that I didn't know anything about having to get clearance for the boat out of PNG. The nice customs man had a quick look around, took our rubbish away (a great reason to cruise with a dinghy on davits-where else you gonna stow a weeks worth of rubbish?), gave us some forms with stamps on them and we were all good. I think it helped that we had a 12 month old baby on board, but jeez I wish we'd filled the bilges with drugs.

Asprin?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Asprin?
    kava
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"