Thread: Best blade for ripping hardwood with a 7 1/2 in. circular saw

Default Best blade for ripping hardwood with a 7 1/2 in. circular saw

An earlier discussion prompts me to use a 7 1/2 in. circular saw to rip 8 ft mahogany, white oak, and cherry boards into 5/16, 3/8, 5/8, and 1-inch widths. What type of blade should I get?

Default Re: Best blade for ripping hardwood with a 7 1/2 in. circular saw

I've been quite impressed with the stock 1/16" kerf blade that came with my makita saw. I believe it's 24 teeth but it's just a standard construction combination blade. I also have a 60 tooth freud blade that leaves a planer-smooth finish but is a bit fine for major ripping. You should be totally fine with any decent 24T combination blade. Pretty sure freud's version is about $20. I'd definitely got with a 1/16" blade - they cut much faster and with less waste.

How much money do you want to spend?

I like my Freud blade.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Il colore del cielo, la forza del mare.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    How much money do you want to spend?

I like my Freud blade.
    I should have titled this to reflect the least expensive decent one as I will not use it all that often.
    Last edited by capefox; 02-27-2013 at 10:44 AM.

Another punt for the 24T stock gauge blade. Plenty fast enough yet still smooth cutting.

- boingk

Funny you would choose to use a circular saw rather than your table saw to rip the wood. In my 60 years as a homebuilder/boatbuilder/all around carpenter, I have seen far more injuries with a circ than with a table saw. Far more and usually worse. In addition to the injuries, unless you are very good with the saw or spend a great deal of time setting up the cut with straight edge, etc. the finished product will not be nearly as good as with the table saw.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I have found that a normal blade cuts hardwood just fine.but once you rip hardwood, the blade will bog down on softwood.so,my answer is , a new blade.

For the amount of ripping that you are going to do, I would suggest the Freud Diablo blade. It has a narrower kurf than a standard blade does. This saves you wood and provides less cutting resistance. The Diablo is a quality blade at a reasonable cost and can be found at most home centers. Note: I also use the same blade in my table saw when ripping thin laminates for my longbows that I build.

Please don't try to use a used blade. Why? Because a new blade will make your cuts much smoother and will be much safer to use. (In your previous post you referenced how important the safety factor is to you.) The new blade will be safer because you will have to put less effort into the cut. Let the saw and blade do the work. If you feel abnormal resistance, your blade is getting dull. Also try to use a full length saw guide. This will also give you better cuts and add to the safety factor. Bear in mind your cut will only be as good as your layout of the saw guide. A straight edged, non-flexing board works great as a saw guide.
    Last edited by eflanders; 02-27-2013 at 11:35 AM.

In addition to a ripping guide and a new saw blade, I might suggest that instead of trying to rip this stuff directly on top of saw horses, you set up a heavier board like a 2x10 or something across your benches. Cut some sacrificial blocks like 2x2's or 2x4's and put them on top of the 2x10 about 2 feet apart. Don't fasten 'em down because you might hit the fastener while ripping. This will give continuous support for the boards while you rip them. You could really get creative and make little bumpers out of thin stuff to keep the board from running away or sliding sideways while you rip as a clamp will eventually be in the way.

If you want a really usefull straight edge/ripping guide, make a purpose made one out of plywood. Glue/fasten a straight rip onto a piece of 1/4 ply about 8 inches wide. After it is in place, rip off the excess with YOUR saw. This will make a straightedge that is spot-on for YOUR saw, no measuring or offsetting. Just clamp the edge on your mark and that's where YOUR saw will cut it. This is really handy for making an initial straight cut on crooked or live-edge boards. And because your saw is riding on a plywood base, you won't scratch or mar the surface of the board. It reduces tear-out, too.

Capefox, When I responded earlier I didn't realize that the Freud Diablo blade is very generic for many different style & sized Freud blades, my apologies.

What I am suggesting is a narrow kerf (to save wood and cut resistance) 24 tooth, 6-1/2" Diameter, carbide tipped blade. The blade diameter may be smaller than what your saw is rated for but this is OK.

The Freud Diablo part # is:
    D0624X/A 6-1/2" Circular Saw Framing 24 ATB 5/8"♦ .059" 18

If I remember correctly it only cost me about $15 at a big box lumber store.

7 1/4" is your standard circular saw size - I don't see any reason to go smaller than that, but you can definitely use that size in your 10" table saw and be very happy. It should cut nearly 2" depth in a table saw, and in my circular saw that size blade will do 2 1/2". Other than that I completely agree with eflanders.

I would go with the Freud Demo Demon. I even put it in the tablesaw occasionally to minimize waste on hardwood. Thiinest kerf carbide 7 1/4 blade I am aware of and priced well too.

Bill

I did some reading about the virtues of various saw and have a bit of a different question. On a table saw, is there a way to install a second featherboard to keep the board you are cutting pushed down into the table top -- preventing vertical movement. The first featherboard would be pushing in from the left to prevent horizontal or lateral movement while cutting. The user would presumably be using a splitter and blade guard. Perhaps there are better ways to prevent vertical movement... I'm all ears!

(PS: Sorry I've been all over the map with these questions. There are just a lot of new concepts to cover.)

^Donn showed us some gizmo that does that, I believe. I will try to find it.....Ah...here it is, it is called the GRR-Ripper, you can google it.

Steve Martinsen

$79? Sighs. Its probably worth it though.

I'm confident you could find many better uses for $79 in your build. You can easily make a featherboard yourself with a handsaw, or your jigsaw, and clamp it to the table. I wouldn't even consider a vertical featherboard for a through-cut like this - there's just no need.

Or make a couple pushsticks. Use one to hold the work against the table, feeding with your other hand, until the end of the wood reaches the table and then use the other pushstick to push it through to finish the cut. Especially with a helper, cutting 8 foot lengths should be no problem at all. A good blade will make a big difference.

I would get one of the blades recommended in this thread and start cutting. I think you'll find a good blade makes a huge difference. Stand to the side, use pushsticks, and wear eye protection and there's really no danger. Do read some general table saw instructions if you haven't already, but ripping 8 foot boards is about as routine as table saw work can be.

Cape, you can easily make a couple of featherboards using your hand saw or you buy some for less than $10 each. mount one on your fence and one on the table. these will keep your hands away from the blade and your work appropriately supported. have a friend show you how to set the featherboards up appripriately or go to your local woodworking shop.