Thread: Cuddy Cabin on Summer Breeze?

Default Cuddy Cabin on Summer Breeze?

After looking at a bunch of boat plans and ideas, I think I will make Summer Breeze my first attempt at building a boat. My plan is to keep it simple to start (paddle/row only) and then, once I see it float, move on to the sail version. This should keep costs spread out a bit and get me on the water quicker than starting out with a more complicated build. My actual plans (subject to change and/or failure) is to have a boat similar to Robert Manry's Tinkerbelle. Since he started out with an open sailboat and built the cabin on it, I figure it might just be possible to adapt the Summer Breeze boat to include a tiny cabin. This might be just a dry storage area but should give me the looks I'm after in a small size boat. I plan to build test cabin designs using cardboard and duct tape before moving on to plywood or even maybe just a canvas or cloth covered tent if the weight is an issue. According to my understanding of this boat, it can use a little extra weight up front when used solo anyway to balance it out so a little cabin might help. I don't know what would happen if you climbed in up front while on the water though. Anyway, I think this design (Summer Breeze) will suit my needs and wants even if the cabin idea doesn't work out. Plans are free, only takes 2 or 3 sheets of plywood, and is big enough to actually use instead of trying to build a one sheet boat and ending up with a toy boat.

Anyone else ever try something like this? Maybe someone who has built a Summer Breeze could comment on this crazy idea or even the designer if he's a member of this group.

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian

Default Re: Cuddy Cabin on Summer Breeze?

I've built a summer breeze, great first project but the cabin idea should wait until you get the boat built. Don't want to talk you out of it but it is not something I would do to a boat that is at the edge of being able to cartop or load into the back of a pick up with one person.

You might also be interested to know that Jim Michalak has a book out called "Boat Building for Beginners (and beyond)" and one of the boats in there is the Summer Breeze, I recommend this book if you are a first time builder.

[IMG][/IMG]

Not me in the picture, the new owners. In this picture there is a 5 gallon water jug in the bow to help trim,

The boat itself is very stable on the water and with one person in it rowing it is pretty well balanced. I did not sail mine, I had the leeboard and rudder cut out and then took it for a few rows before I decided to build another boat. I like to fish out my boats on small lakes and the wave slap on the flat bottom hull was driving me crazy, so I gave the boat away.

Best of luck, when you start building we like to see pictures, and there are others here that have built a summer breeze, so if you want to ask questions this is as good a place as any.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Sioux City, Iowa (Idiot Out Walking Around)

You might also be interested to know that Jim Michalak has a book out called "Boat Building for Beginners (and beyond)" and one of the boats in there is the Summer Breeze, I recommend this book if you are a first time builder.
    Although this is an excellent book, Summer Breeze isn't in it (it isn't Jim's design and I have the book in front of me). I expect you are referring to the Mayfly 14... which is an excellent boat too.

Summer Breeze is a David Beede design, done for a Duckworks Magazine contest for a 2 sheet boat back in '01. Simplicity Boats ( http://www.simplicityboats.com/ ) is where you will find the plans for it. Summer breeze is only a little 12' boat and isn't really suited to a Cuddy. Maybe a larger front deck with storage under it but not a cuddy. It just doesn't have the buoyancy and stability to properly handle the increase in weight and height of the center of gravity.
    Last edited by Lewisboater; 02-17-2013 at 12:52 PM.
    Steve Lewis
    Formerly Lewisboats (don't try to change your email address!)

http://angelfire.com/ego/lewisboatworks

My bad, I will have to go home and look at my books. One of the building for beginners books I have has Beede's Summer Breeze in it with some handy build notes.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.

Gavin Atkin might have included it in his book... he has one of mine in there too. I have the book but not to lay my hands on right now.
    Steve Lewis

Yes, Gavin Atkins, Ultrsimple boatbuilding, my bad.

I once had a Gloucester stack dory that was set up for cruising the Channel Islands. The boat had a collapsible canvas dodger that could be rigged for protection from the weather when needed.
    Jay

I built a Summer Breeze. You could put a short 12-18 inch long foredeck and enclosing bulkhead to provide a bit of stowage and add built-in buoyancy. But that is it.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Thanks for all the responses. I hadn't considered the extra weight as far a transporting it. Looking at the picture with the sail, it looks like my cabin idea wouldn't fit anyway with the mast. Oh well, I still think this is the boat for my first build. My last trip to town I had too much snow in the bed of the truck to consider buying any plywood. Maybe next time I have a little extra money I'll clean it out or maybe it will melt by then.

So far all I've done is make some paper models but when I start building I'll be sure to get pictures for the forum.

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian

Default Summer Breeze Transom

I'm not even started on the building yet and already I'm finding problems with the plans. In the build notes it shows the height of the transom as being 11-5/8". Commercial 1x12 boards are actually only 3/4" x 11-1/4". Another problem is that (according to my calculations) their top and bottom measurements don't give a 13 degree angle. Should I just come up with my own dimensions or use their top measurement and set the saw to 13 degrees and live with whatever I get? Or, should I use their measurements (minus the 3/8" difference in height) and not worry about the actual angle?

I'm probably just trying to figure things too precise and a little variation won't make much difference but I'm trying not to mess up on this first build and 3/8" sounds like a lot of variation. Probably whatever I do will still end up with a usable boat even if it isn't exactly the way it was designed. Since this was made for a contest, there was probably some changes made to fit the materials specified instead of worrying about exact measurements and there is probably a bit of fitting and adjusting needed to account for differences in saw kerf anyway.

What do you think? Just build it and quit worrying or keep checking things before I make those scary first cuts? I'd hate to get half done and find out that the FREE PLANS had some mistakes and have to start over.

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian

Double post
    Last edited by Lewisboater; 02-18-2013 at 11:24 AM.
    Steve Lewis

Default Re: Summer Breeze Transom

First you could contact David via email and ask.... there is an email link on his site. Second... do a search for the boat... there are a few build blogs out there and an article in Duckworks which may address some of the problems you have come across. Third... there isn't a hand built boat made by an amateur that is exactly the same as another... even those that are built by the same person. Question the big stuff but don't sweat the small ones.
    Steve Lewis

I'm not even started on the building yet and already I'm finding problems with the plans. In the build notes it shows the height of the transom as being 11-5/8". Commercial 1x12 boards are actually only 3/4" x 11-1/4". Another problem is that (according to my calculations) their top and bottom measurements don't give a 13 degree angle. Should I just come up with my own dimensions or use their top measurement and set the saw to 13 degrees and live with whatever I get? Or, should I use their measurements (minus the 3/8" difference in height) and not worry about the actual angle?
    You could do that. What I did was use teak faced marine ply for the transom. I left it tall, cutting to the plans, then crowned the top. So you could get a wider board ( $$$$ I know), glue another piece and make a wider board or use ply and build to a height that suits, or stick with the plans.

Note that the 13-degree angle is the bevel of the transom sides, not the angle of flare from top to bottom; its the angle the ply is designed to meet the transom edges on. I left these a little fat until ready to bend the sides around, then tweaked the bevel with a plane, rasp etc for a good fit.

Here's my transom being dry-fitted:

Last edited by Breakaway; 02-18-2013 at 11:40 AM.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Default Re: Summer Breeze Transom

Boy am I glad I asked. The 13 degree thing was really confusing me. I'll check the blog and thread as soon as I get a chance. That should help a lot.

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian

If you look close at the picture above, you'll see I marked the outside/aft face of the transom with pencil "outside." If you cut the board with bevels backwards, it wont fit

kevin

The world always has room for one more tiny, simple little skiff and a builder who wants to put a cabin on it. So by all means proceed. Its not like you're going to be compromising the boat's cutting edge technology and performance. Just build it as small and light weight as possible.

Good to see at least one person who says GO AHEAD...DO IT! My plan still is to build the rowing version to start but I thought I'd post a picture of some of my paper tests with tiny cabins.

The top left one is just a basic summer breeze made out of a file folder. The bottom left is an idea of a simple cabin for on it. I figured a flatter front on the cabin with a small window would be nicer as well as some round or oval windows in the side. Hard to change once the tape sets up so I didn't continue with the designing. The right one was made by cutting out a printout of the Tinkerbelle plans with a simple flat bottom and duct tape for a quick dagger board and rudder as well as to water proof it for sink voyages.

If/when I build the summer breeze I will probably still test out some cardboard cabin designs on it just for fun but after seeing the mast position, I don't think there would be enough space left to be worth doing. For some reason I thought the mast was a lot further forward. I can still dream though. THANKS. By the way, the collapsible canvas dodger was a nice thought.

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian

You haven't said why you want the cuddy. Is it for storage, sleeping, looks, protection from wind and weather while sailing? If simply for camp cruising canvas rigged over the cockpit would work best.
    edit; I just reread your first post, apparently looks is the answer. Hmmm

Yes, looks is the main reason but also storage and possible sleeping. Sleeping would probably have to be curled up in such a small space unless I built a tent to cover the whole thing or somehow made room for legs into the cockpit like the ocean explorer design (PDRacer type boat). I don't think it could be used while sailing except as maybe a wind break. I'm not even sure about moving that far forward while on the water. Basically, I just thought it would look nice/different and if it could be used for camping that would be a good bonus even if it had to be drug up on shore. If not, storage for camping stuff would have to do.

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian

Not sure the side decks are a good idea.

If you are talking about the little one, they are angled out and were not meant to walk on. Eliminating them could give more interior room so I'm not set on that design. I did like the front section angled out from the middle to shed water better. Now that I look at it, it might just direct water right into the cockpit. Back to the drawing board. If you were talking about the bigger (Tinkerbelle) boat, that's how it was made but it was a bigger boat and surely a lot more stable. I'm not sure if Robert Manry walked on the side deck or just crawled over the cabin to get to the mast.

Sea Dreams A.K.A Brian

Quote Originally Posted by lewisboater View Post
    although this is an excellent book, summer breeze isn't in it (it isn't jim's design and i have the book in front of me). I expect you are referring to the mayfly 14... Which is an excellent boat too.

summer breeze is a david beede design, done for a duckworks magazine contest for a 2 sheet boat back in '01. Simplicity boats ( http://www.simplicityboats.com/ ) is where you will find the plans for it. Summer breeze is only a little 12' boat and isn't really suited to a cuddy. Maybe a larger front deck with storage under it but not a cuddy. It just doesn't have the buoyancy and stability to properly handle the increase in weight and height of the center of gravity.
    i second the thought of not having stability. I was raising my front anchor with the sail up and oops a side wind and i was turtled. No ballast so high center of gravity. Maybe a cabin 6 inches above freeboard would work. I like the idea of dry storage.
    I appreciate the knowledge and confidence gained from almost everyone on this forum.

Well, room for all ideas.
    Scamp has a cuddy at 10 odd feet. Friend put a cabin on his open 15ft gaffer. It works for him solo, not room for two.. Summer breeze does look a bit small for other than a canvas folder.
    A2

I built a Summer Breeze. Rowed it today, in fact. Too small for a cuddy.

These pics are five years old. I guess that's OK since the thread is SEVEN years old!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's a nice boat, Breakaway.
    Nope, you can't put a cuddy on a Summer Breeze!
    Way to small for that. I built one too, and took it on the Salish 100 cruise last year.

48246250821_b952ac6152_o.jpg

It is an easily built skiff that works surprisingly well for what it is. My wife and I still regularly use ours. These pictures are from our first sail in May this year.

SAM_8545.jpg

SAM_8503.jpg

Props to the new guy. He actually used the search function and found a 7-year-old thread. At least it appears that way.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

That's a nice boat, Breakaway.
    Right backatcha, Etdbob!

Kevin

I decked in the front of my Summer breeze, but there is no way a cabin would fit

4A4518A4-28BA-4A81-87B6-5BAD875F63A1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    I built a Summer Breeze. Rowed it today, in fact. Too small for a cuddy.

These pics are five years old. I guess that's OK since the thread is SEVEN years old!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Whats better than kids and boats??? Bravo!!

You could slide the boom up, if she's a sailor, and toss a tarp over it for weather protection.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.