Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transport a boat as deck cargo

Default Re: Transport a boat as deck cargo

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Just had a look at a couple of Carbineers, do they come in lengths shorter than 46 feet?

If this trip happens I plan to see a lot more than Spain and Portugal. I've always wanted to drive from Lands End to John O'Groats without going on a single major road while sampling English ales and of course the scotch further north.
    I've been on what was supposedly a Carbineer 42 but now that I look on the web I don't see too many such beasts (ie none). I know they'd be too big for you, I was just thinking of what sort of boats that I've been on that sail reasonably well and make a great live aboard. Another that comes to mind is a Hans Christian, 38' or 43' (I'd go for the 43')
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Friends have a Hans Christian 33 and I could happily live on it, heaps of room. Kez and I are both use to living in small spaces and actually enjoy it. I'd have one but they are beyond our budget.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

OK... I know you don't like stayed rigs but .......

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I support the notion that going off-shore is the way to gain experience. One of my friends - this was pre-LORAN and pre-GPS days - learned his astro on the way to England.

Do learn astro. It's important not to be totally dependent on diodes. And off-shore sailing has a huge amount of nothing-much-to-do time which astro can help fill most charmingly.

Cruise smart. The situation at the east end of the Med and out is changing rapidly and by the time you're ready may or may not be worth the risk. Traveling in company is an option but your main safety rests in not being especially valuable. And you may resolve to stand off and around Africa. Either way get Jimmy Cornell's "World Cruising Routes" for the macro-planning information.

G'luck

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    OK... I know you don't like stayed rigs but .......

It's still too big and too expensive. 32-35ft is a good size for us.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    I support the notion that going off-shore is the way to gain experience. One of my friends - this was pre-LORAN and pre-GPS days - learned his astro on the way to England.

Do learn astro. It's important not to be totally dependent on diodes. And off-shore sailing has a huge amount of nothing-much-to-do time which astro can help fill most charmingly.

Cruise smart. The situation at the east end of the Med and out is changing rapidly and by the time you're ready may or may not be worth the risk. Traveling in company is an option but your main safety rests in not being especially valuable. And you may resolve to stand off and around Africa. Either way get Jimmy Cornell's "World Cruising Routes" for the macro-planning information.

G'luck
    Interesting book Ian thanks. Cape of Good Hope January-Feb. If we manage to sell the house this year that would be possible.

John Welsford

Okay. And after all that and you've got her back here, don't forget you have to face AQIS. Depending on the boat's condition you could then be asked to (a) pay to fumigate her -- the cheapest option, costing perhaps another five grand, (b) remove her from Australian waters altogether, or (c) destroy her.

Email me for further details.

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

To be a bore and bring the topic back around to Deck Cargo;

You are correct, quite low cost to deck load a vessel in a steel cradle that has lift eyes per typical container specification - while they will charge for custom loading/unloading it saves to stay close to a container spec.
    I have shipped wind turbine parts about the globe, we regulary fit blades on deck after normal frieght (juice cargo from Brazil,.. containers from wherevever) have been loaded. Our cargo has shared deck space with cranes/tractors/tanks, various items all with capability for lift/tie down and slfl standing (i.e. cradle for you).
    You should be able to book something out of Portugal as long as you give the freight forwarder time.
    The extra costs as mentioned above will be the cradle, the inland handling and port handling.
    I should think you could make the trip to complete the deal, and manage cradle assembly, packing, sorting and fumigating,...then you go home and wait.
    BTW - fumigating done near a international port can be conducted for a nominal fee- may require fully tarped -beyond cabin/bilges.
    this should be in the US$hundreds.
    Costs for deck cargo ~ $US14k I should think then add loading/unloading/handling/fixture/securing fees - another ~$US6k
    cradle will have to look real, meet inspection and depending on carrier and port may need to meet a certain spec. and be signed off by a P.E.

Cheers

A couple of reality checks there for me with my morning cuppa.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post

G'luck
    Panama? Gary would be sailing to the East Coast of Australia......so, why not?

Lawrie seems to have done this sort of thing before. Good advice. Some very "non-containerized" loads get lifted on/off ships.
    We don't know how lucky we are....

I'm going to ease back a bit here. My preferred scenario is as I've stated elsewhere would be sometime in the future to pick up a fitted out boat that just needs the mods for the rig and the rig. That way I will get in plenty of sailing on Redwing and get a better idea of just what we want.

John Welsford

Good thinkin' 99
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Damn! I've just had it pointed out to me, there's a version of my perfect boat for sale.
    In Brittany and only $51,300AU.
    http://www.sunbirdmarine.com/benford_34.htm
    Now it really is just as well I haven't the funds.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Damn! I've just had it pointed out to me, there's a version of my perfect boat for sale.
    In Brittany and only $51,300AU.
    ... or near offer. they don't define 'near'.

but seriously, you have a beautiful H28.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    ... or near offer. they don't define 'near'.

but seriously, you have a beautiful H28.
    No I have a beautiful Hartley 24. I'm not complaining, I just planning for the future...and doing a bit of thinking outside the square. I've got about 20-30 years left and I'd rather not spend them doing what I've been doing for the last 35. As an atheist I only get one shot at life.

John Welsford

I just recommend checking out citizenshipper.com. It is better than the best online marketplace among all for all kinds of shipping services.
    Life is like a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep on moving
    WE offer cheapest shipping with ecological manner

My recommendation would be Cargolution. They have great prices for this service.
    Last edited by Pop Alexandra; 11-09-2017 at 08:34 AM.

Hi Pop.
    I'm sure you did not notice that this thread is four years old. But thank you for adding to it. You never know when someone else will search for this information.